19 November 1956 |
Kalangala District, Uganda
|Alma mater||Nkumba University
(BA in International Relations & Diplomacy)
Uganda Military Academy
(Basic Officers Course)
Tanzania Military Academy
(Junior Staff College)
Nigerian Command and Staff College
(Senior Staff College)
US Army Command and General Staff College
(Strategic Studies Course)
|Years active||1981 – present|
General Edward Katumba Wamala, more commonly known as Katumba Wamala, is a Ugandan army officer who has been the Chief of Defense Forces of Uganda, the highest military rank in the Uganda People's Defense Force (UPDF), since 2013.
Prior to his current position, he served as Commander of Land Forces in the UPDF from 2005 to 2013. He also served as the Inspector General of Police (IGP) of the Uganda Police Force, the highest rank in that branch of Uganda's government, from 2001 until 2005. He was replaced as IGP by General Kale Kayihura. Katumba Wamala was the first active UPDF soldier to serve as the head of the Uganda Police Force.
Katumba holds a certificate in agriculture. In 2007, he graduated from Nkumba University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in international relations and diplomacy. He also holds a Master of Science degree in strategic leadership from the United States Army War College. He has military qualifications from the following military schools:
- Uganda Military Academy
- Tanzania Military Academy
- A military academy in the Soviet Union
- Nigerian Command and Staff College
- United States Army Command and General Staff College
- United States Army War College
Katumba Wamala was an officer in the Uganda National Liberation Army (UNLA) at the time the National Resistance Army (NRA) defeated the UNLA in 1986. He transitioned into the NRA without incident. Between 1999 and 2000 he was a student at the US Army War College in Carlisle, PA. Between 2000 and 2001, at the rank of Major General, he commanded the UPDF forces in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. He was appointed the Inspector General of Police in 2001, becoming the first military officer to serve in the highest capacity within the Uganda Police Force. He served in that capacity until 2005. He was then promoted to Lieutenant General and given the title of Commander of Land Forces, based at Bombo Military Barracks, making him one of the highest senior officers in the Ugandan military. In his role as Commander of the Land Forces, he was closely engaged in the peace-keeping mission that the UPDF performs in Somalia, commonly referred to as AMISOM.
- Uganda People's Defence Forces
- Crispus Kiyonga
- Charles Angina
- David Muhoozi
- Muhoozi Kainerugaba
- Samuel Turyagyenda
- Aronda Nyakairima
- Wilson Mbadi
- Yoweri Museveni
- Candia, Steven (31 October 2005). "Police Will Miss Katumba Wamala". New Vision. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- Tebajjukira, Madinah (22 April 2007). "Uganda: General Katumba Gets First Class Degree". New Vision via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- Candia, Steven (31 October 2005). "The Military Education of Katumba Wamala". New Vision. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- Kato, Joshua (5 September 2005). "Rebels Turned UPDF Commanders". New Vision. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- Candia, Steven (3 November 2005). "Major General Kale Kaihura Takes Over Police Force". New Vision. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- Ondoga, Ayiga (14 February 2010). "Over 1,700 UPDF Soldiers for Somalia". New Vision. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- Tugume, John (24 May 2013). "General Katumba Wamala To Head The Uganda Army". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Katumba Wamala.|
|Inspector General of Police of Uganda Police Force
|Chief of Defense Forces of Uganda
2013 – present