Kathleen Elizabeth Garretson|
May 15, 1963 
|Other names||Kathleen E. Garretson|
|Occupation||Television director / Television producer|
|Spouse(s)||Jonathan Axelrod (2011-2015)|
Kathleen "Katy" Garretson (born May 15, 1963) is an American television director and producer, known for directing the sitcoms Frasier, 2 Broke Girls, Fuller House and others, as well as producing Hallmark's Garage Sale Mystery movies. She received the Frank Capra Lifetime Achievement Award from the Directors Guild of America (DGA) in 2012 and has other nominations from the DGA for her work.
Kathleen Garretson was born in Nuremberg, Germany, while her father, a Captain in the U.S. Air Force, was stationed there. She is a graduate of the University of Southern California, earning degrees in both Journalism and Business Communications. At USC, Garretson was a member of the Delta Delta Delta Sorority, and was an award-winning member of the USC Speech & Debate Team. She became interested in the film industry while working at her college job as a tour guide at Universal Studios.
Following graduation, and a brief run as a production assistant and stand-in, Garretson was accepted into the DGA training program. Following a two-year trainee period, she then fully joined the DGA as an assistant director. During her first few years as a DGA member, Garretson worked mainly on made-for-TV films and feature films. Her credits include Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Clifford, Switch and The Specialist.
She continued to work as an assistant director on "movies of the week", features and commercials for several years, eventually moving onto the sitcom Frasier. She made her directorial debut during the show's sixth season. She was nominated for a Directors Guild of America Award for "Best Comedy Director of 1999" for her first directing assignment. She continued to direct episodes of Frasier until the show's end in 2004. Her other directing credits include Fuller House, 2 Broke Girls, The Odd Couple, One Big Happy, Young & Hungry, Sullivan & Son, Titus, Reba, Girlfriends, George Lopez, Freddie, One on One, True Jackson, VP and the animated series Sid the Science Kid.
In January 2012, Garretson received the Frank Capra Lifetime Achievement Award from the DGA. She was the 26th recipient of this annual award, presented to a Guild member with at least twenty years of distinguished DGA credits and fifteen years of quality Guild service. She served as an Associate National Board member and Council Chair at the DGA, and on numerous guild committees.
Garretson took a two-year hiatus from directing from early-2012 through 2014 to serve as the Executive Director of the non-profit I Have A Dream Foundation - Los Angeles. She had been a mentor and volunteer with the organization for many years, and was asked to oversee a rebuilding and revitalization of the foundation. This was accomplished by the end of 2014, and Garretson returned to her creative roots in film and television production.
Garretson is also a television producer, and in 2011-12, found, developed and was supervising producer on a TV movie, Garage Sale Mystery, for Hallmark Channel. This movie, which aired in September 2013, broke nearly every ratings record for the Hallmark Channel, and in March 2014, Hallmark announced it would re-brand its movie channel to be the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel, and would have a "wheel" of mystery movies led by new Garage Sale Mysteries. Eleven Garage Sale Mysteries have aired and four new ones are scheduled to air in August 2018.
Garretson has long been active in the DGA and the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, speaking on numerous panels and seminars. She has also taught classes on sitcom directing at the American Film Institute in Los Angeles.
- "Birth date info for Kathleen Garretson". FamilySesrch.org. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Alumna Katy Garretson wins Directors Guild of America lifetime achievement award". annenberg.usc.edu. Retrieved 2017-08-06.
- "Katy Garretson: 2012 Frank Capra Achievement Award - 64th Annual DGA Awards". www.dga.org. Retrieved 2017-08-06.
- Noble, Barnes &. "Frasier - The Complete Sixth Season". Barnes & Noble. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Alliance of Women Directors - Vision Focus Action". Alliance of Women Directors - Vision Focus Action. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Katy Garretson". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Science Project | Computer Graphics World". www.cgw.com. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Genzlinger, Neil (2008-08-31). "Sid the Science Kid Works Hard to Inspire Others". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-06.
- "Inner Circle". Daily Variety. 314 (19): 10. 2012 – via EBSCOhost. (Subscription required (. ))
- Ephron, Amy (2012-01-30). "Access Hollywood | Inside the Directors Guild Awards". T Magazine. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Michel Hazanavicius Wins DGA Award for 'The Artist'". Reuters. 2012-01-29. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- ""I Have a Dream Foundation" Los Angeles Chapter Names Katy Garretson As Executive Director | Education Charity I Have A Dream Foundation LA". Education Charity I Have A Dream Foundation LA. 2012-09-15. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "NBC4 Introduces 'I Am a Volunteer' Campaign in Southern California". Entertainment Close-up. 16 October 2013. Archived from the original on 2017-08-01. Retrieved 31 July 2017 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- "'I Have A Dream' Foundation - Los Angeles Names Debra Fine as CEO". Manufacturing Close-up. 29 October 2014. Archived from the original on 2018-01-23. Retrieved 31 July 2017 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Seasonal resident's first book already a hit, as plans for movie are in the works". Retrieved 2017-08-14.
- "Local writer's Garage Sale Mystery filmed for Hallmark Movie Channel". Phil Jason Reviews Books. 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Lewis, Hilary (13 March 2014). "Hallmark Movie Channel Rebranding; The network will become Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and will get a new tagline and logo, starting in the fourth quarter of 2014". The Hollywood Reporter'. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Garage Sale Mystery Movies | Hallmark Movies and Mysteries". Hallmark Movies and Mysteries. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Preview - Four New Garage Sale Mysteries | Hallmark Movies and Mysteries". Hallmark Movies and Mysteries. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Directing for Television". Television Academy. Retrieved 2017-08-06.
- Katy Garretson's biography at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences website
- "Katy Garretson : Virtual Tv Academy". archive.li. 2010-02-25. Archived from the original on 2010-02-25. Retrieved 2017-08-06.