10 September 1983 |
|Occupation||Actress and dancer|
|Spouse(s)||Dmitry Ilyushenov (divorced)
Klaus Kongsdal (7 July 2012-present)
She was a Vancouver British Columbia Dancesport Champion four times, from 1998 to 2002. In 2001, she and her partner won the Canadian Latin Dance Championship. Virshilas has appeared in the Hollywood films Shall We Dance? (2004), Take the Lead and John Tucker Must Die (both 2006), and in the television shows Smallville, Supernatural, and others.
She also starred in John Tucker Must Die in a minor role.
Strictly Come Dancing
She appeared as a professional dancer on series 7 (2009) of Strictly Come Dancing partnering cricketer Phil Tufnell. They were knocked out of the competition in week 9. Their scores were as follows (all out of a possible 40 marks):
- Week 2: waltz - 29 (7, 8, 7, 7) & Cha Cha Cha (4, 6, 6, 6) - 22
- Week 3: quickstep (5, 6, 6, 7) - 24
- Week 4: salsa - 24
- Week 5: Viennese Waltz - 27 (6, 7, 7, 7)
- Week 6: samba - 25 (6, 7, 6, 6)
- Week 7: tango - 30 (7, 7, 8, 8)
- Week 8: rumba - 28 (6, 8, 7, 7)
- Week 9: American Smooth - 31 (7, 8, 8, 8)
Virshilas returned for the eighth series of the dancing show in autumn 2010 and was partnered with rugby player Gavin Henson. In week 1 they scored 28 (their highest so far) and in week 4 they scored 23 for a tango to Britney Spears's "Toxic". However, were knocked out on the semi-final. In the ninth series, she was paired with Dan Lobb who was at the time one of the presenters of Daybreak. However, they were eliminated in week 3 of the competition.
So You Think You Can Dance
On the first series of the televised reality dancing competition So You Think You Can Dance, Virshilas choreographed or semi-choreographed four routines for different couples:
- Week 1 – helped James Jordan with the choreography of Robbie White and Yanet Fuentes's American Smooth style foxtrot
- Week 2 – choreographed (alongside professional partner Klaus) Mark Calape and Lizzie Gough's Viennese Waltz, which was highly praised by the judges
- Week 5 – choreographed (alongside professional partner Klaus) Mandy Montanez and Alastair Postlethwaite's Paso Doble, which was criticized by the judges for the lack of passion, in particular, Nigel Lythgoe, series creator and judge, said it was the worst performance the pair had given over the course of the whole series
- Week 6 (final) – choreographed (alongside professional partner Klaus) Lizzie Gough and Tommy Franzén's tango, much to the praise of the judges
Virshilas reappeared on the second series to choreograph more routines:
- Week 2 – choreographed (alongside professional partner Klaus) Stephanie Powell and Gian Luca Loddo's cha-cha-cha, which was praised by the judges, despite Powell and Loddo being placed in the bottom two couples by public vote and consequently eliminated
- Week 2 – choreographed (alongside professional partner Klaus) Alice Woodhouse and Charlie Wheeller's American Smooth style waltz, praised highly by the judges
- Week 7 – choreographed (alongside professional partner Klaus) the boys' group Paso Doble performance (Lee Bridgman, Luke Jackson and Matt Flint)
- Week 8 (final) – choreographed (alongside professional partner Klaus) Matt Flint and Kirsty Swain's American Smooth style waltz/foxtrot
Virshilas and her partner Klaus Kongsdal announced their engagement in January 2011. The couple married on Saturday 7 July 2012.
- Markowicz, Chloe (24 September 2009). "Strictly Kosher Dancing!". TotallyJewish. Retrieved 16 October 2009.
- Sexy Katya to Salsa in Mumbai The Times of India, 19 August 2007
- Shiamak is India's Michael Jackson! The Times of India, 13 November 2007
- Katya Virshilas Free-Press-Release.com
- New ballroom sensation who's set to inject some extra Cha-Cha-Cha into Strictly Come Dancing Daily Mail, 30 July 2009.
- "Dan Lobb". Strictly Come Dancing. British Broadcasting Corporation. September 2011. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "Katya Virshilas". Strictly Come Dancing. British Broadcasting Corporation. September 2011. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- Published Wednesday, 20 Jun 2012, 06:20 BST (2012-06-20). "'Strictly Come Dancing' axes professional dancer Katya Virshilas - Strictly Come Dancing News - Reality TV". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "'Strictly' star Katya Virshilas announces engagement to fellow dancer Klaus Kongsdal". Hello Magazine. 3 January 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- Katya Virshilas at the Internet Movie Database
- Katya Virshilas in the dance drama "Take the Lead" with Antonio Banderas
- Katya Virshilas and Pasha Kovalev