Kauser Abdulla Malik
Malik attended Forman Christian College (A chartered university) from 1959–1961 and completed his pre-med FSc. His Bachelor of Science and Master of Science are from Government College University, Lahore. He holds his Doctor of Philosophy in microbiology from Aston University, United Kingdom.
Prof. Malik started his research career from the Nuclear Institute for Agriculture & Biology (NIAB), Faisalabad (1971-1992) Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission. He is the founder Director General of the National Institute for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (NIBGE) at Faisalabad where he had been involved from the conceptual stage to its operation and developed all the research programs and scientific manpower.
In view of his research and management experience, Dr Malik was appointed Chairman of the Pakistan Agricultural Research Council (PARC) http://www.parc.gov.pkwhich is the apex body responsible for coordinating research and development activities related to agriculture in the country (15 September 1998 – 27 February 2001). During his tenure he was able to establish an Agricultural Research Endowment Fund of Rs 1.2 billion which is being utilized to fund competitive research grants in the country.
During 2001-2006, Dr Malik served as Member (Biosciences & Administration) of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission and established Medical Institutes at different places in the country. Subsequently he was invited to join Planning Commission of Pakistan as its Member looking after Food and Agriculture economic development from 2006-2008. During this period, Dr Malik also acted as the Secretary of the National Commission on Biotechnology (2002-2008)
Awards and honors
In 1997 he was awarded ISESCO Prize in Biology. Dr Malik is a Fellow of the Pakistan Academy of Sciences and is one of five leading scientists and technologists appointed by the government to the Pakistan Council for Science and Technology.
Malik Played an influential role in the establishment of country's well known research institution, National Institute for Biotechnology & Genetic Engineering (NIBGE), Faislabad He is Vice Chairman National Technology Council(NTC)
- "Fellows of the Academy". Pakistan Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Legendary Abdullah Malik remembered -DAWN - National; April 21, 2008". Archives.dawn.com. 2008-04-21. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- Khan, Ameen Amjad (8 June 2011). "PAKISTAN: Bin Laden home a 'university for peace'?". University World News.
- "Awards". Pakps.com. 2012-01-18. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- FCC – Forman Christian College. "Biological Sciences". Fccollege.edu.pk. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- "Composition of PCST". Pakistan Council for Science and Technology. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Dr. Kausar Malik have taken charge as Vice Chairman of NTC".
|This article about a Pakistani scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|