The landmark ancient plane tree
|Rural District||Dizmar-e Sharqi|
|Time zone||UTC+3:30 (IRST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+4:30 (IRDT)|
Kavanaq (Persian: کوانق, also Romanized as Kavānaq; also known as Kavānagh, Kavānd, Kavānī, Kavānīq, Kevāni, and Kevany) is a village in Dizmar-e Sharqi Rural District, Minjavan District, Khoda Afarin County, East Azerbaijan Province, Iran. At the 2006 census, its population was 81, in 21 families. According to a more recent statistics the population is 94 people in 22 families.
The village is a renowned center of pomegranate and grape production in Arasbaran region. These produces have a characteristic potential of being preserved for over six months without requiring refrigeration. This feature was remarked by Robert Mignan, who traveled through Arasbaran in 1830s. Kavanaq is also remarked for its thriving apiculture operation.
- The first allusion to Kavanaq is by the renowned historian Hamdallah Mustawfi in the late twelfth century.
- On a mountain near the village, there is a castle dating from Sasanian era. It was used as a jail for high-ranking officials during Khwarazmian reign. The castle is known as the castle of Mardanaqom, but according to information provided by Mr. Sahand Jabbari, who is from the area, the castle is actually located in the territory of the adjacent village, Kavanaq.
- There is a landmark ancient plane tree in the village. The tree is about 3 meter in diameter and is said to have lived for 500 years.
- Kavanaq can be found at GEOnet Names Server, at this link, by opening the Advanced Search box, entering "-3070065" in the "Unique Feature Id" form, and clicking on "Search Database".
- "Census of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1385 (2006)". Islamic Republic of Iran. Archived from the original (Excel) on 2011-11-11.
- "East Azarbaijan Census of 2012" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-12-11.
- "Introduction to the Horticulture products of Mardanaqom". Archived from the original on 2014-03-14.
- Robert Mignan, A Winter Journey Through Russia, the Caucasian Alps, and Georgia: Thence ..., Vol. 1, 1839, London, p. 125
- نزهةالقلوب ، حمداله مستوفی ، به کوشش محمد دبیر سیاقی ، انتشارات کتابخانه طهوری ، چاپ اول ، تهران ، ۱۳۳۶، ص. ۹۶.
- Mohammadi, Vahid. "Mardanaqom Castle".
|This Khoda Afarin County location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|