This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Body||Municipal Council|
|Elevation||636 m (2,087 ft)|
(2011)Population of K.M. City
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||MH 10|
|Lok Sabha representative||Sanjaykaka Patil|
|Vidhan Sabha representative||Sumantai Patil|
Kavathe-Mahankal pronunciation (help·info) is a tehsil in Miraj subdivision of Sangli district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. This is famous for Mahankali Devi temple and Mallikarjun (God Shiva) Temple. There is also a Sugar Factory, named after the same Goddess Mahankali Sugar Factory.
Kavathe mahankal is a peaceful town. Major festivals are Shivratri, Diwali, Ganesh Chaturthi, etc. In shivratri a 5-day fair takes place. Navratri (Dasara) in Mahankali Temple (Ambabai mandir) is also attended by nearby villagers. Kavathe Mahankal is famous for production of grapes, pomegranate, jowar, millet (bajra), maize, etc.
The day of Weekly Market in K. Mahankal is Tuesday.
Kavathe Mahankal city is the tehsil Headquarter of Kavathe Mahankal taluka of Sangli district, Maharashtra, with total 3733 families residing. The population of Kavathe Mahankal city as per Population Census 2011 is as follows:
- Males = 8849
- Females = 8541
- Total = 17390
K. Mahankal city has population of 1902 children with age 0–6 which makes up 10.94% of total population of city. Average Sex Ratio of Kavathe Mahankal city is 965 which is higher than Maharashtra state average of 929. Child Sex Ratio for the Kavathe Mahankal as per census is 894, equal to that of Maharashtra average of 894.
Kavathe Mahankal city has higher literacy rate compared to Maharashtra. In 2011, literacy rate of Kavathe Mahankal was 87.28% compared to 82.34% that of Maharashtra. In Kavathe Mahankal, Male literacy stands at 92.30% while female literacy rate stands at 82.13%.
Being a region with mainly dry & arid climate, Kavathe Mahankal is a perfect habitat for goats & sheep. The place is famous for the meat of billy goats.
'Dhangari Ovya' (धनगरी ओव्या), which are the songs by that particular Caste.
→ Gajinrity (गजीनृत्य) is a famous dance form of the area
→ "Akhand Harinam Saptah Dnaneshwari Parayan Sohla" Haroli, completed its 90th year in 2016, which was started in 1926. Haroli is one of the religious, irrigated sugar producing village in Kavathemahankal tehsil.
→ Kavathe Mahankal is one of the most drought prone areas of Maharashtra. But still it has a Sugar Factory. It's a paradox but that is the result of powerful politics of politicians of Sangli district
-> Beautiful Meghraja temple located just outside on east side of the city.
- New english school, IRALI
- Mahankali Vidyaniketan (Sugar Factory Campus)
- Shree Mahankali High School
- Kanya Prashala & Jr. college for girls
- Nootan International School
- Nootan College of Pharmacy
- S.S.D.Ed college K.Mahankal
- Ambika D.Ed college K. Mahankal
- Industrial Training Institute
- Chinguaai Institute of Nursing Education
- Zilha Parishad Shala Haroli Tal- K Mahankal
- PVP college of Arts, Commerce & Science, Kavathe Mahankal
- YCMOU Learning centre at PVP college Kavathe Mahankal (Open Schooling)
- Gyan Bharti Shikshan Sanstha - Boys' and Girls highschool kavathe mahankal
- Bhagirathiaai English Medium School Shirdhon
- Sushila Vitthal Kadam Secondary English Medium School Shirdhon
- MAHANKALI VIDYANIKETAN AND JR COLLEGE, KAVATHE MAHANKAL
- Shrimati Sajabai Raghunathrao Shinde Sarkar Highschool,Malangaon
Other Important Places/ Govt. Organisations
- K. Mahankal has Military Canteen for Pune Sub Area
- Tehsil Magistrate Court
- State Transport Depot
- Kavathe Mahankal Railway Station (Central Railway). Station Code [KVK]
- Police Station
- Aadhar Hatcheries Borgaon
- Govt. Rural Hospital
- District HQ Sangli is 45 km by road - State Highway
- State HQ Mumbai is 400 km by road - State Highway + National Highway via Pune
- Solapur City is 150 km via State Highway
- Pandharpur City 100 km by road
- Kolhapur city 100 km via Sangli
- Coastal City Malvan is 250 km via Kolhapur, by road
- Nearest junction Miraj is 40 km by Road
- Nearest railway station Kavathe Mahankal is just 10 km