19 February 1986|
|Residence||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Years active||1997 – present|
Sherryl Wiltshire (m. 2012)
Kavi Shastri (born 19 February 1986; London, UK) is a British film and television actor, and an established personality in the Indian Film Industry.
Early life and education
Shastri was born into a Gujarati family in London, England. His family, including parents Kaushik, Geeta and his older brother Ravi, later moved to South Woodford, London. Shastri attended the George Tomlinson Primary school in Leytonstone, East London, and studied at local dance and drama clubs. At the age of nine, he was enrolled into The Padmini Kholapuri School of Acting in London, and throughout his primary years performed at venues across London.
In 1997, Shastri started his studies at the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts. As well as academic studies, he trained in Ballet, Tap Dancing, Jazz, Lyrical, Hip Hop, Musical Theatre and Drama. Whilst at school, Shastri had small roles in ITV's This Morning and BBC One's Holby City. Kavi graduated into the Academy's College on a government scholarship in 2003. While attending college, he acted in three seasons of CBBC's hit drama show UGetMe and the British feature Film It Could Be You. As part of his work on the film, Shastri flew to India. Shastri graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Performing Arts, and was presented with an award from the Academy for his achievement in Drama.
After leaving College, Shastri appeared on ITV's The Bill, and in British feature film Popcorn. In 2009 he moved to India and enrolled in Anupam Kher's Actor Prepares. After graduation, he acted in the Hindi film Imtiaz Ali's Love Aaj Kal, where he met Vir Das. The pair returned to Mumbai to create India's first Comedy Company 'Weirdass Comedy', which presented stand up comedy shows and performance across India and worldwide, and wrote scripts for the Filmfare Awards, Zee Cine Awards and Stardust Awards.
In 2008, Shastri played the part of Rohan Mehra on the Indian television show YRF Television's Rishta.com which debuted on 3 January 2010 on Sony Entertainment Television. After four nominations at award shows, Shastri was named the best newcomer at the 10th Indian Telly Awards. Shastri then took on a role with YRF Television's Kismat, an adaptation of Kane and Able.
Shastri and Das performed together at Sophia Auditorium in late 2011, in the stand up comedy show Ashvin Gidwani's History of India.
In 2014, Shastri returned to London, England to shoot for the British feature, Ameet Chana's directorial debut Jayden.
|2001||Holby City||Asaf||BBC One||English|
|2005||The Bill||Sadiq Kalia||ITV|
|2008||Fairy Tales||Sid||BBC One|
|2010||Rishta.com||Rohan Mehra||Sony India||Hindi|
|Kismat||Vikramaditya Merchant||Sony TV|
|2014||Love By Chance||Himself||Bindass|
|2005||It Could Be You||Sid||English|
|2009||Love Aaj Kal||Jaat||Hindi|
|2011||Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge||Pre|
|Main Aur Mr. Riight||Shaunit|
|2014||Amit Sahni Ki List||Pushkar|
|Happy New Year||Mr. Gupta|
|2016||Neerja||Neerja's Husband Naresh|
|Wrong Side Raju||Tanmay Shah||Gujarati|
|2017||Jab Harry Met Sejal||Rupen, Sejal’s fiancé||Hindi|
|2019||Mental Hai Kya||TBA|
- "Kavi Shastri turns ‘chai-wala’". The Indian Express.
- "Kavi Shastri turns chai-wala for TV show Love By Chance". News Wala
- "I never crave for stardom: Kavi Shastri". The Times of India]. Shruti Jambhekar, TNN | 10 May 2014."
- Shruti Jambhekar. "It has been long that I have not visited Gujarat: Kavi Shastri". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
When we asked him to share his Gujarat connect, he tells, "I belong to Navsari. As a child, I have made frequent visits to Gujarat during our family vacations. I have stayed in Navsari, Surat, Vadodara and Ahmedabad too"
- "From South Woodford to Bollywood – Kavi Shastri’s making it big". Ilford Recorder 11 November 2010 By Supriya Davda
- "Kavi Shastri’s wedding reception". The Times of India.
- "Kavi Shastri wants to do a romantic film". The Indian Express.
- "A Bollywood Rishta!". G'Day India
- "'Rishta.com' was most satisfying, but didn't get TRPs: Shruti Seth". Deccan Herald New Delhi, 10 February 2013
- "Kavi Shastri and Shruti Seth hit the floor". Santa Blanta News Network
- "History of India -Vritten review". Mumbai Theatre Guide.