Tungar at the 2016 Olympics
5 May 1985 |
Nashik, Maharashtra, India
|Height||157 cm (5 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||45 kg (99 lb)|
|Sport||Track and field athletics|
|Coached by||Vijender Singh|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||5000 m – 15:16.54 (2010)
10,000 m – 31:51.44 (2010)
HM – 1:12:50 (2009)
Mar – 2:38:38 (2016)
|Updated on 9 October 2010.|
Kavita Tungar (née Raut on 5 May 1985) is an Indian long-distance runner from Nashik, Maharashtra. She holds the current national record for 10 km road running with a timing of 34:32  as well as the current national record in the half marathon with a timing of 1:12:50. She won the bronze medal in 10,000 metres race at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, the first individual track medal by an Indian woman athlete at the Commonwealth Games. She also won the silver medal in 10,000 metres race at the 2010 Asian Games.
Kavita Raut was born in a tribal family on 5 May 1985 in Sawarpada, a village near Harsul, Nashik in Maharashtra state, India. She is employed with Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and is married to Mahesh Tungar.
Raut won a bronze medal at the 2009 Asian athletics championships held at Guangzhou, China. She won another bronze medal in the 10,000 metres race at the 2010 Commonwealth Games held at New Delhi on 8 October 2010 with a timing of 33:05.28. The medal was the first individual track medal by an Indian athlete at the Commonwealth Games in more than 50 years, after Milkha Singh's 440 yards gold at the 1958 Cardiff Commonwealth Games. It was also the first individual track medal by an Indian woman athlete in the history of Commonwealth Games.
She also won the silver medal in the 10,000 metres race at the 2010 Asian Games held at Guangzhou, China on 21 November 2010 with a timing of 31:51.44, which is her personal best. The medal was a double victory for India, as Preeja Sreedharan won the gold in the same event with a timing of 31:50.47 setting a record for India's best.
- Kavita Tungar Archived 26 August 2016 at the Wayback Machine.. rio2016.com
- Kavita Tungar. nbcolympics.com
- Kavita Tungar profile at IAAF
- "Merga and Mergia take thrilling 10km victories in Bangalore". 31 May 2010. Archived from the original on 23 July 2009. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- "National records" (PDF). ATHLETICS FEDERATION of INDIA. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 17 August 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Kavita claims 10,000m bronze". The Hindu. 9 October 2010. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- "Asian Games: Double gold for India on the opening day of athletics". Times of India. 21 November 2010. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- "Kavita Raut, Indian Runner, Registers First Ever Medal in Individual Track Event in CWG". commonwealthdelhi.com. 8 October 2010. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- "Kavita Raut picks up a bronze in 5000m". The Hindu. 10 November 2009. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- "Kavita Raut creates history for India in athletics at C'Wealth Games". Daily News and Analysis. 8 October 2010. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (22 February 2011). Raut and Johny takes doubles at Indian National Games in Ranchi. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-02-22.
- "Kavita Raut Awarded With Arjuna Award; First From Nasik". Cafe Nasik. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kavita Tungar.|