Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bukavu Kuvumu Airport
Aircraft at the Kavumu Airport
|Elevation AMSL||5,643 ft / 1,720 m|
Kavumu Airport (IATA: BKY, ICAO: FZMA) is an airport serving Bukavu, the capital city of the Sud-Kivu (South Kivu) province in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The airport is 25 kilometres (16 mi) north of Bukavu.
Airlines and destinations
|Compagnie Africaine d'Aviation||Goma, Kalemie, Kongolo, Lubumbashi|
Accidents and incidents
- On 1 September 2008 a Beechcraft 1900C-1 registered as ZS-OLD operated by CEM Air for the charity Air Serv International was 15 km out on approach to Bukavu when it flew into a steep ridge on Mount Kahuzi at 10,000 ft near Bukavu-Kavum. All 15 passengers and 2 crew aboard were killed.
- On 14 February 2011 a LET L-410 registered 9Q-CIF of African Air Services Commuter flying a cargo flight on behalf of the World Food Programme from Kavumu to Lusenge (near Kava) crashed shortly after departure from Kavumu. The aircraft impacted Mont Bienga, killing both the Ukrainian pilot and Congolese co-pilot, and destroying the aircraft.
- On 12 February 2012, a Gulfstream IV business jet carrying then-finance minister (and future prime minister) of the DRC, Augustin Matata Ponyo, crashed while landing at Kavumu airport. The crash killed both pilots and two passengers as well as two farmers on the ground, while two passengers including Ponyo survived with injuries.
- Transport in Democratic Republic of the Congo
- List of airports in Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Media related to Kavumu Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Airport information for Bukavu Kuvumu Airport
- Airport information for Kuvumu Airport at Great Circle Mapper.
- "Kavumu Airport". Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Bukavu NDB (BKV) @ OurAirports". ourairports.com. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- Ranter, Harro. "ASN Aircraft accident Beechcraft 1900C-1 ZS-OLD Bukavu-Kavumu Airport (BKY)". aviation-safety.net. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- Hradecky, Simon. "Crash: African Air Services L410 near Kavumu on Feb 14th 2011, impacted mountain". The Aviation Herald. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Accident Description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- OpenStreetMap - Kavumu Airport
- Accident history for Bukavu-Kamenbe Airport at Aviation Safety Network
- FallingRain - Kavumu Airport
|This article about an airport in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|