|Birth name||Kavya Ajit|
|Born||17 July 1991|
|Genres||Indian Classical Music, Pop, Filmi, Playback singing|
Kavya Ajit (born 17 July 1991) is an Indian singer, violinist and a live performer born in Kozhikode, Kerala. Apart from Malayalam, she has recorded songs in many Indian languages including Tamil, Telugu and Kannada. Having trained in Carnatic Classical Music and Western classical style of Violin, she has performed in concerts and stage shows across the world.
Early life and education
Kavya was born on 17 July 1991 in Kozhikode to Dr. Ajit Bhaskar, a pulmonologist and Professor at Malabar Medical College and Dr. Lakshmi S, an Associate Professor in gynaecology at Calicut Medical College. She learnt the basics of Carnatic Music from her grandmother Kamala Subrahmaniam, former All India Radio artiste and continued further education and training under Geeta Devi Vasudevan and Madurai Rajaram after moving to Chennai. Hailing from a musically inclined family, Kavya was initiated into Western Violin at an early age and received guidance and mentorship from Albert Vijayan Japheth.
She attended Presentation Higher Secondary School and Silver Hills Public School in Kozhikode. A computer science engineer who graduated from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetam, Coimbatore, she has worked at Cognizant Technology Solutions before leaving the job to pursue a career in music. She is married to Vidhyasagar Venkatesan and is currently residing in Chennai.
Kavya stepped into music scene in 2014 with the Ranjan Pramod's romantic musical Rose Guitarinaal. The film's music composer Shahbaz Aman, who was in search for a new voice, liked hers and offered her the song Engum Nalla Pookkal which became her first breakthrough. It was followed by a string of songs tuned by Shaan Rahman for the films Praise the Lord, Oru Vadakkan Selfie and Nam Duniya Nam Style which was her Kannada debut. She was next heard in Lavender, composed by Deepak Dev where she performed two tracks for the film. The soundtrack was lauded for Dev's combination of western music and old-world lyrics.
Her first taste of success came after singing Neeyen Kaataai from the film Jo and the Boy, composed by Rahul Subrahmanian. She received wider recognition following the release of the breezy melody Ee Shishirakalam, tuned by Shaan Rahman for the film Jacobinte Swargarajyam. The song was an instant hit and was praised by critics and audiences alike. In 2016, she made her Telugu debut through the song Jakkanna from the eponymous film. The track was lauded for its grooviness.
In 2017, she lent her vocals for Gopi Sundar's composition Chekkanum Pennum for Omar's second film Chunkzz followed by Agnijwalaa from the Bollywood film Mom for A.R Rahman's Malayalam soundtrack album.
Kavya has performed at numerous Carnatic concerts, Western Vocal and Violin gigs and has shared stage with various artists like A.R Rahman, Karthik, Vijay Prakash, Naresh Iyer, Vineeth Sreenivasan, Stephan Devassy, Shaan Rahman and Gopi Sundar as part of various TV music shows and live performances. She has sung various commercial jingles and has collaborated with artists like Vishal Chandrasekhar, Siddharth Menon, Justin Prabhakaran and Madley Blues for their albums and singles.
|2013||Rose Guitarinaal||Engum Nalla Pookkal||Shahabaz Aman||Malayalam|||
|2013||Nam Duniya Nam Style||Take It Easy||Shaan Rahman||Kannada|||
|2014||Praise The Lord||Ab Kya Hua He||Shaan Rahman||Malayalam|||
|2015||Oru Vadakkan Selfie||Neelaambalin||Shaan Rahman||Malayalam|||
|2015||Lavender||Pulari Manjin, She's So Beautiful||Deepak Dev||Malayalam|||
|2015||Appavam Veenjum||Nee Thirapol||Ouseppachan||Malayalam|||
|2015||Jo and the Boy||Neeyen Kaattaai||Rahul Subramanian||Malayalam|||
|2016||Urumeen||Hey Umayaal||Achu Rajamani||Tamil|||
|2016||Chennai Koottam||Life is like A||Sajan K. Ram||Malayalam|||
|2016||Jacobinte Swargarajyam||Ee Shishirakaalam||Shaan Rahman||Malayalam|||
|2017||Chunkzz||Chekkanum Pennum||Gopi Sundar||Malayalam|||
|2017||Mom||Agnijwalaa||A R Rahman||Malayalam|||
|2017||2 Countries||Ullasamlo||Gopi Sundar||Telugu|||
|2017||Vimaanam||Anthikevarikente, Meghakanavinu||Gopi Sundar||Malayalam|||
|2018||Hey Jude||Hey Don't Worry Jude||Rahul Raj||Malayalam|||
|2018||B.Tech||Peda Glassu||Rahul Raj||Malayalam|||
|2019||Irupathiyonnaam Noottaandu||Aaraaro Ardhramayi||Gopi Sundar||Malayalam|||
|2014||Seeli Seeli Hawa, Uljhan||Izhaar||Siddharth Menon, Kavya Ajit||Hindi|||
|2014||Yaaro Nee||Kungumam Vecha Kekudhu||Surya Prasadh R, Kavya Ajit||Tamil|||
|2017||Lesbian Anthem||Ladies and Gentle Women||Anitha Karthikeyan, Kavya Ajit||Tamil|||
|2017||Rhythm of Life||Rhythm of Life||Yazin Nizar, Kavya Ajit||Tamil|||
|2017||Thaye Thamizhe Vanangukerom||The Hindu Tamil Anthem||Sathyaprakash Dharmar, Syed Subahan, Kavya Ajit||Tamil|||
|2019||Soodana Murukku||Langkawi Paiyenz||Langkawi Paiyenz, Kavya Ajit||Tamil|||
- George, Liza (2016-05-04). "Fresh, new voice". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "List of Malayalam Songs sung by Kavya Ajith". www.malayalachalachithram.com. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "Lavender Music Review - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "Urumeen (aka) Urumeen songs review". Behindwoods. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "'Jacobinte Swargarajyam' music review: Shaan on a melodic high". OnManorama. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- James, Anu. "Watch Nivin Pauly's 'Jacobinte Swargarajyam' family song 'Ee Shishirakaalam' [VIDEO]". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "Music Review: Jakkanna - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "'Chunkzz' wedding video song is an out-and-out fun affair - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-11-24.
- T-Series Malayalam (2017-07-19), MOM Jukebox || Mom Malayalam Songs || Sridevi,Akshaye Khanna,Nawazuddin Siddiqui || Malayalam Songs, retrieved 2017-11-23
- "Kavya Ajit: If an artiste's content is not online today, it's unlikely that a person will make it big". Times of India. March 3, 2018.
- "Music that soothes the soul". Deccan Chronicle.
- "Rhythm of Life - Single by Vishal Chandrashekhar on Apple Music". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "Izhaar - Narayananunni S - Single by Siddharth Menon on Apple Music". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "from Chennai, an anthem for lesbian love | orinam". orinam. 2017-04-02. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "Kavya Ajit's 'Kerala Diaries' Takes The Spirit Of Kerala To A Different Level". India Glitz. September 5, 2017.
- "Nam Duniya Nam Style Songs | Nam Duniya Nam Style Mp3 Songs Lyricist | Nam Duniya Nam Style Kannada Movie Songs - Filmibeat". FilmiBeat. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "Konjam Konjam Mp3 Songs Download Konjam Konjam Tamil Movie Mp3 Songs Download :: TamilMusiq.Net". tamilmusiq.net. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- Ullasamlo (From "2 Countries") - Single by Gopi Sundar on Apple Music, 2017-12-07, retrieved 2017-12-16
- divoindie (2014-12-03), Torture | Kungumam Vecha Kekudhu | Tele film | Lyric Video, retrieved 2017-11-23
- Tamil The Hindu (2017-09-16), Thaye Thamizhe Vanangukerom Album Song | Tamil The Hindu | Madhan Karky | Sathyaprakash Syed Subahan, retrieved 2017-11-23
- "Soodana Murukku feat. Kavya Ajit". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2019-01-16.