Kawal Wildlife Sanctuary
Kawal Tiger Reserve
wild life sanctuary
|• Total||2,015.44 km2 (778.17 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Kawal Tiger Reserve is located at Jannaram mandal of Mancherial District (Old Adilabad district) in Telangana state of India. Govt of India declared Kawal wildlife sanctuary as Tiger Reserve in 2012. The reserve is the oldest sanctuary in the northern Telangana region of the state. It is well known for its abundant flora and fauna. This sanctuary is catchment for the rivers Godavari and Kadam, which flow towards the south of the sanctuary.
The KWS was established in 1965 and later declared as a Protected Area (PA) in 1999 under the WPA, 1972.
Tiger reserve status
It was listed as tiger reserve in April 2012. In this regard habitat development is undertaken with release of 150 cheetals as prey population. To check poaching new check posts have been created. Traditional sources of water were improved.
Mancherial district is situated between 18.8756° N, 79.4591° E. It is surrounded by Adilabad and Komuram Bheem on the north, Karimnagar and Nizamabad on the south and Nanded district on the west. It is located in the Mancherial district at a distance of 50 km (31 mi) from its district headquarters. It extended from the Sahyadri hillranges to the Tadoba forest in Maharashtra (GoAP2012; Rajagopal 1976) It is spread over an area of 893 km2 (345 sq mi). It is increasingly getting threatened by growing human encroachment, rampant poaching, illegal wood felling and habitat loss.
The sanctuary is one of the richest teak forests in the state, with dense pristine areas free of human disturbance. The River Kadam flows through this area. Dry deciduous teak forests mixed with bamboo, terminalia, pterocarpus, anogeisus and cassias.
Mammal species that have been sighted include tiger, leopard, gaur, cheetal, sambar, nilgai, barking deer, chowsingha, and sloth bear. Several species of birds and reptiles are also found in the sanctuary.
- "Kawal to be developed as eco-tourism centre". The Times of India. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Zoo park stripped of striped beauty - South India - Hyderabad - ibnlive". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Kawal Wildlife Sanctuary declared tiger reserve". The Hindu. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "Kawal Wildlife Tiger Reserve". forests.telangana.gov.in. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- Rathod, Bikku and Rambabu M. "Tiger Reserve in Kawal Wildlife Sanctuary: Issues and Concerns". International Journal of Innovative Research and Practices. 1. ISSN 2321-2926.(
- "Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : 'Carry on Heaven' play to be staged tomorrow". The Hindu. 6 October 2007. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
Tiger Reserve in Kawal Wildlife Sanctuary: Issues and Concerns by Bikku Rathod and M Rambabu published in International Journal of Innovative Research and Practices Vol.1, Issue 1, January 2013ISSN 2321-2926
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kawal Wildlife Sanctuary.|
|This article about a location in Adilabad district, Telangana is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about protected areas of India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|