Kawana Waters, Queensland
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
|Time zone||AEST (UTC+10)|
|Location||95 km (59 mi) N of Brisbane|
|LGA(s)||Sunshine Coast Region|
Kawana Waters is an urban centre on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia, between Caloundra and Maroochydore along the Coral Sea coast. It was originally the estate development name and has passed into common usage, but it is not officially a town nor a locality. The official suburbs (listed below) are connected by the Nicklin Way arterial road. It is sometimes abbreviated to Kawana, which is a suburb of Rockhampton.
Many shopping and sporting facilities, including Kawana Shoppingworld are located in the Kawana Waters estate area.
Kawana Waters is a narrow urban area bounded roughly by Mooloolah River to the north and northwest, the ocean to the east and Currimundi Lake to the south.
The Kawana Waters urban centre consists of the following suburbs:
The area was officially named from 1 November 1968, having previously been known as Kawana Island.
The suburbs within the Kawana Waters estate area are served by Sunbus Sunshine Coast, who operate a bus interchange at Kawana Shoppingworld. Bus routes 600–619 connect Kawana Waters with Caloundra, Maroochydore, Buderim, Landsborough and Nambour.
Landsborough and Nambour stations on the Nambour / Gympie North Line offer regular services to Brisbane, operated by QR Citytrain. There are also coach services from Kawana Waters to Brisbane Airport.
Census populations for the Kawana Statistical Local Area have been recorded since 1981 but covers more than just the area known as the Kawana Waters estate:
- "Kawana Waters – unbounded locality in the Sunshine Coast Region (entry 17819)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 29 February 2020.
- "Future is digital: News announces major changes". The Courier Mail. 28 May 2020. Archived from the original on 22 December 2020. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- Translink Queensland. "All bus timetables". Archived from the original on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- Sunair. "Brisbane Airport Transit Stop". Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- "2011 Census QuickStats: Kawana".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kawana Waters, Queensland.|
- "Kawana Waters". Queensland Places. University of Queensland.