This article does not cite any sources. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Manufacturer||Kawasaki Heavy Industries|
|Engine||449cc Four-stroke, DOHC, 4-valve single|
|Bore / stroke||96.0 x 62.1mm|
The Kawasaki KLX 450R is an off-road motorcycle made by Kawasaki Heavy Industries of Japan. It was first made available in 2007 and is still being produced today, relatively unchanged except for color schemes and graphics (sales in the US were discontinued after 2010). The KLX 450R is essentially a KX450F open-class motocross bike with added convenience features that make it more suitable for trail riding, green laning, enduro events and lower speed riding in general. This is due to the larger gas tank, 18 inch rear wheel, headlamp and even electric start. The KLX also features a motor retuned for easier low speed running, offering more torque and smoother throttle response at low engine speeds. Some of this is achieved by less aggressive engine internals and the "low boy" exhaust header pipe.
The KLX however is still a fast machine and a dedicated off roader that shares essentially the same motor and aluminum twin-spar frame of its motocross sibling. It is also renowned for its supple suspension feel and strong brakes.
- Engine: 449cc Four-stroke, DOHC, 4-valve single
- Bore x stroke: 96.0 x 62.1mm
- Compression ratio: 12.0:1
- Cooling: Liquid
- Carburetion: Keihin FCR40
- Ignition: Digital AC-CDI
- Starting: Electric, with primary kick backup
- Transmission: Wide-ratio 5-speed
- Frame: Aluminum, perimeter design
- Rake / trail: 27.7 degrees / 4.8 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 48mm inverted AOS-type cartridge fork with 22-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping / 12.0 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-Trak single shock system with 22-way low-speed, two-turn variable high-speed compression damping and 22-way rebound damping / 12.4 in.
- Front tire: 80/100-21
- Rear tire: 110/100-18
- Front brake / rear brake: 250mm petal rotor with hydraulic dual-piston caliper / 240mm petal disc with hydraulic single-piston caliper
- Overall length: 85.8 in.
- Overall width: 32.3 in.
- Overall height: 49.4 in.
- Seat height: 37.0 in.
- Wheelbase: 58.3 in.
- Ground clearance: 12.6 in.
- Fuel capacity: 2.1 gal.
- Dry weight: 253.5 lbs (114.9 kg)
- "Best Enduro Bike: Kawasaki KLX450R". Cycle World. Retrieved 1 February 2019.