Type of site
|Available in||18 languages|
|Founded||January 14, 2004|
|Headquarters||Stamford, Connecticut, U.S.|
Paul M. English
|Key people||Steve Hafner (CEO)|
Giorgos Zacharia (President)
Ko Baryiames (CTO)
Amy Wei (CCO)
Peer Bueller (CFO)
Tore Pein Jensen (CMO)
|Revenue||US$292.7 million (2012)|
|Launched||February 7, 2005(Public)|
|Native client(s) on||iOS, Android, watchOS, Amazon Alexa, Facebook Messenger|
Kayak.com, sometimes styled as KAYAK, is a travel agency and metasearch engine owned and operated by Booking Holdings. The company also runs travel search engines checkfelix, Mundi, Hotels Combined, and swoodoo.
Kayak's website and mobile apps are currently available in over 18 languages and more than 30 countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom, India, China, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Russia, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, the Netherlands, Australia, Ireland, Mexico, New Zealand, Belgium, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, and Singapore.
Kayak was founded in January 2004 by Steve Hafner and Paul M. English. Before Kayak, Steve Hafner, Kayak's current CEO, helped found Orbitz in November 1999 and led its business development, advertising sales, marketing, and product marketing activities.
The company was originally named Travel Search Company, Inc. and the name was changed to Kayak Software Corporation in August 2004.
The website launched in February 2005.
In December 2007, Kayak raised $196 million in a new round of financing from a group of investors including General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, and Oak Investment Partners. Using that funding, Kayak acquired SideStep, another online travel agency.
In January 2011, Kayak shut down SideStep and redirected SideStep traffic to Kayak.com.
In August 2017, the company acquired Mundi.
In July 2018, Kayak assumed leadership of Hotels Combined, which was acquired by parent Booking Holdings.
In September 2018, the company launched a feature to help travelers determine if their luggage fits in the overhead bin of planes.
Kayak won the following Webby Awards:
- 2008: People's Voice award in the travel website category
- 2009: The Webby Award in the travel website category
- 2011: The People's Voice award in the mobile travel app category in 2011
- 2012: 3 awards: both the Webby and People's Choice awards in the travel website category and the People's Voice award in the mobile travel app category.
- 2013: Nominee for Best Travel Mobile & App for Handheld Devices
- 2014: both the People's Voice and Webby Award in the Travel category for Tablets.
- 2015, Kayak Mobile won again the People's Voice Award in the Travel category.
All-American Muslim advertising
In December 2011 Kayak announced that it would not renew a contract to advertise on the TLC reality television show All-American Muslim. The decision followed a campaign by the Florida Family Association, a one-man fundamentalist organization focused on "defending American values". In a statement posted to the Kayak website, Kayak chief marketing officer Robert Birge wrote that TLC "was not upfront with us about the nature of the show".
- King, Danny (April 3, 2013). "Kayak turns 2012 profit". Travel Weekly.
- "Kayak.com Launches Consumer Online Travel Site; Company Announces New Content, Features, and Distribution Partner; Plus, Kayak.com to Award Winter Getaways for Registered Users" (Press release). Business Wire. February 7, 2005.
- "Kayak.com: Private Company Overview". Bloomberg L.P.
- "Checkfelix". TechCrunch.
- Perez, Sarah (July 20, 2012). "Kayak Is Headed To Russia". TechCrunch.
- "Kayak CrunchBase Profile". CrunchBase. TechCrunch. October 23, 2011.
- Timmins, Beth; Cox, Josie (April 26, 2017). "A View from the Top: Steve Hafner, founder of travel comparison site Kayak". The Independent.
- "KAYAK SOFTWARE CORPORATION 2012 Form 10-K Annual Report". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Arrington, Michael (December 20, 2007). "Breaking: Kayak Raises $196 Million, Buys Rival SideStep". TechCrunch.
- "KAYAK.COM MERGES WITH SIDESTEP.COM; SECURES $196M IN FINANCING ROUND" (Press release). December 21, 2007.
- Schaal, Dennis (February 11, 2011). "Kayak has stake in TravelPost rollout". Phocuswire.
- Zinnagl, Lukas (May 6, 2010). "Kayak swoops on German travel search engine Swoodoo [Updated]". TechCrunch.
- "KAYAK acquires swoodoo, Germany's leading travel search site". May 6, 2010.
- Rao, Leena (May 27, 2011). "in-front-of-its-ipo-kayak-reports-growth-in-revenue-but-income-down". TechCrunch.
- Duryee, Tricia (March 4, 2011). "Bing Picks Kayak for Travel Search Partnership". All Things D.
- Taylor, Colleen (May 27, 2011). "Poised for IPO, Kayak Reports Sales Boost and Global Growth". Gigaom.
- May, Kevin (April 5, 2011). "Kayak buys Austrian travel search engine Checkfelix". Phocuswire.
- Empson, Rip (July 20, 2012). "That'll Fly: Kayak Closes IPO Day With Shares Up Nearly 30% And Market Cap Over $1.2B". Techcrunch.
- "PCLN Form 10-Q". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- "Gov. Malloy: Kayak to Expand and Create 50 Jobs in Stamford" (Press release). Connecticut. September 25, 2013.
- O'Neill, Sean (August 4, 2017). "Kayak Acquires Assets of Struggling Brazilian Metasearch Company Mundi". Skift.
- Schaal, Dennis (July 9, 2018). "Booking Holdings Buys HotelsCombined as Kayak Expands Into Asia Pacific". Skift.
- Perez, Sarah (September 18, 2018). "kayaks-new-ar-feature-will-tell-you-if-your-carry-on-bag-fits-the-overhead-bin". TechCrunch.
- BROWN HUNT, KATRINA; SAMILJAN, TOM (October 14, 2013). "Best Apps for Business Travelers".
- Fisher, Adam (August 24, 2009). "50 Best Websites 2009". Time.
- "10 Budget Airfare Tools Every Traveler Should Know". Mashable. July 26, 2012.
- "2008 People's Voice: KAYAK.COM". Webby Award.
- "2009 Webby Award Winner: KAYAK.COM". Webby Award.
- "KAYAK MOBILE FOR IPHONE". Webby Award.
- "We Won Three Webby Awards – Thanks to You". Kayak. May 1, 2012.
- "2013 Nominee: KAYAK - MOBILE SITES & APPS". Webby Award.
- "2014 People's Voice / Webby Award Winner: KAYAK Technology Team". Webby Award.
- "2015 People's Voice: KAYAK - MOBILE SITES & APPS". Webby Award.
- "Kayak". World Travel Awards.
- Freedman, Samuel G. (December 16, 2011). "Waging a One-Man War on American Muslims". The New York Times.
- Diaz, Johnny (December 14, 2011). "Kayak won't renew ads on Muslim TV show". The Boston Globe.
- ELLIOTT, STUART (December 14, 2011). "Kayak Defends Cutting Ties to 'All-American Muslim'". The New York Times.