Ali in 2019
|Born||1971 (age 49–50)|
|Alma mater||University at Albany|
New York University
Kazim Ali (born 1971) is an American poet, novelist, essayist, and professor. His most recent books are Inquisition (Wesleyan University Press, 2018) and All One's Blue (Harper Collins India, 2016). His honors include an Individual Excellence Award from the Ohio Arts Council. His poetry and essays have been featured in many literary journals and magazines including The American Poetry Review, Boston Review, Barrow Street, Jubilat, The Iowa Review, West Branch and Massachusetts Review, and in anthologies including The Best American Poetry 2007.
He was born in the UK to parents of Indian descent, and raised in Canada and the United States. Kazim Ali received a B.A. and an M.A. in English Literature from the University at Albany, and an MFA in Creative Writing from New York University.
Ali is professor of literature and creative Writing at University of California, San Diego and has taught in the Stonecoast MFA Program in Creative Writing at the University of Southern Maine. Previously, he taught in the Liberal Arts Department of The Culinary Institute of America, at Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania, at Monroe College, and at Oberlin College.
Awards and honors
- 2014 Ohioana Book Award in poetry for Sky Ward 
- 2014 Best Translated Book Award, Poetry, one of two runners-up for The Oasis of Now by Sohrab Sepehri, translated from the Persian by Kazim Ali and Mohammad Jafar Mahallati.
- 2009 Individual Excellence Award from the Ohio Arts Council.
- The Far Mosque (Alice James Books, 2005)
- The Fortieth Day (BOA Editions, Ltd., 2008)
- Bright Felon (Wesleyan University Press, 2009)
- Sky Ward (Wesleyan, 2013)
- All One's Blue (Harper Collins India, 2016)
- Inquisition (Wesleyan University Press, 2018)
- Quinn’s Passage (BlazeVOX Books, 2004)
- The Disappearance of Seth (Etruscan Press, 2009)
- Wind Instrument (Spork Press, 2014)
- Uncle Sharif's Life in Music (Sibling Rivalry Press, 2016)
- The Secret Room (Kaya Press, 2017)
- Orange Alert: Essays on Poetry, Art and the Architecture of Silence (University of Michigan Press, 2010)
- Fasting for Ramadan: Notes on a Spiritual Practice" (Tupelo Press, 2011)
- Resident Alien: On Border-Crossing and the Undocumented Divine (University of Michigan Press, 2015)
- Anaïs Nin: An Unprofessional Study (Agape Editions, 2017)
- Silver Road: Essays, Maps & Calligraphies (Tupelo Press, 2018)
- Water's Footfall, Poems of Sohrab Sepehri, translated by Kazim Ali & Mohammad Jafar Mahallati (Omnidawn Press, 2011). ISBN 978-1-890650-55-1.
- The Oasis of Now, Poems of Sohrab Sepehri, Translated from the Persian by Kazim Ali and Mohammad Jafar Mahallati (BOA, 2013). ISBN 9781938160226.
- Translated Abahn Sabana David by Marguerite Duras (Open Letter Books, 2016)
- L'Amour by Marguerite Duras (Open Letter Books, 2013)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog: Kazim Ali
- The American Poetry Review > Nov/Dec 2006, Vol. 35/No. 6 > Kazim Ali Archived June 3, 2009, at WebCite
- BOA Editions > Author Page > Kazim Ali Archived June 3, 2009, at WebCite
- Nightboat Books > About Us: Editor Biographies Archived June 3, 2009, at WebCite
-  "Kazim Ali". Retrieved 2019-03-02.
- Foundation, Poetry (2019-08-03). "Kazim Ali". Poetry Foundation. Retrieved 2019-08-04.
- "Past Award Winners - Ohioana Library".
- Chad W. Post (April 28, 2014). "BTBA 2014: Poetry and Fiction Winners". Three Percent. Retrieved April 28, 2014.
- Mad heart be brave : essays on the poetry of Agha Shahid Ali. Ali, Kazim, 1971-. Ann Arbor. ISBN 9780472122820. OCLC 984992139.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Oberlin College: Creative Writing Department > Faculty Bio > Kazim Ali
- BOA Editions > Author Page > Kazim Ali
- Author Website
- University of Southern Maine: Stonecoast MFA in Creative Writing > Faculty Profile > Kazim Ali
- Video: Poetry Reading by Kazim Ali/Two short poems
- Audio: Kazim Ali Reading for Fishousepoems.org
- Essay: National Book Critics Circle Blog > Small Press Spotlight: Kazim Ali > A mini-essay: A Brief Poetics: to Layla Al-Attar > August 16, 2008
- Essay: Poetry Foundation Blog Posting of Poetry Is Dangerous > By Kazim Ali
- Interview: KickingWind.com > October 15, 2006 > Every Other Day Interview with Kazim Ali
- Under A Warm Green Linden: Interview with Kazim Ali on The Far Mosque