Hara in 2019
Kazuo Hara (原一男, Hara Kazuo) is a Japanese documentary film director. After dropping out of university to work at a special education school, he made his 1972 debut work Goodbye CP about a group of individuals with cerebral palsy. He won the award for Best Director at the 12th Hochi Film Award and at the 9th Yokohama Film Festival for The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On. That film also earned him the Directors Guild of Japan New Directors Award. In 2017 he released the documentary Sennan Asbestos Disaster which received the 2017 Audience Award at the Tokyo Filmex International Film Festival and the 2017 BIFF Mecenat Award at the Busan International Film Festival. His documentary works often depict people who push against the boundaries of propriety and obedience in Japanese society.
- Goodbye CP (さようならCP, Sayōnara CP) (1972)
- Extreme Private Eros: Love Song 1974 (1974)
- The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On (1987)
- A Dedicated Life (1994)
- My Mishima (わたしの見島, Watashi No Mishima) (1999)
- The Many Faces of Chika (またの日の知華, Mata no Hi no Chika) (fiction, 2005)
- Sennan Asbestos Disaster (ニッポン国VS泉南石綿村, Nippon-koku vs Sennan Ishiwata Son) (2017)
- Reiwa Uprising (れいわ一揆, Rei wa ikki) (2019)
- Hara, Kazuo (2009). Camera Obtrusa: The Action Documentaries of Hara Kazuo. New York: Kaya Press. ISBN 978-1-885030-44-3.
- "Interview with Kazuo Hara: "Hey Japanese people, Get Angry,"". Asian Movie Pulse. 29 July 2018.
- 報知映画賞ヒストリー (in Japanese). Cinema Hochi. Archived from the original on 5 October 2011. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- 第９回ヨコハマ映画祭 １９８７年日本映画個人賞 (in Japanese). Yokohama Film Festival. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- "Nihon Eiga Kantoku Kyōkai Shinjinshō" (in Japanese). Directors Guild of Japan. Archived from the original on 22 November 2010. Retrieved 11 December 2010.
- "'Sennan Asbestos Disaster'". The Hollywood Reporter. 29 November 2017.
- Hale, Mike (19 July 2018). "The Hard Road of the Japanese Documentary Maker". New York Times. p. C6.
- "Filming at the Margins: The Documentaries of Hara Kazuo". Iris: A Journal of Theory on Image and Sound no. 16 (Spring 1993), with Kenneth Ruoff, 115-126. Retrieved 24 April 2010.
- "Reiwa Uprising". Docu Docu. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- "樋口真嗣「シン・ゴジラ」VRコンテンツを体験、迫りくる巨大ゴジラに大興奮". Natalie. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
|This article about a Japanese film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|