Kealan Patrick Burke
|Kealan Patrick Burke|
|Born||Kealan Patrick Burke
4 August 1976
Dungarvan, County Waterford, Ireland
|Occupation||Writer, Anthologist, Photographer, Book cover designer.|
|Genre||Crime fiction, Mystery fiction, Dark fantasy, Horror fiction|
|Notable works||The Timmy Quinn series, Kin|
Kealan Patrick Burke (born in Dungarvan, Ireland) is an author. Some of his works include the novels Kin, Currency of Souls, Master of the Moors, and The Hides (Bram Stoker Award nominee), the novellas The Turtle Boy (Bram Stoker Award Winner, 2004) and Vessels, and the collections Ravenous Ghosts, The Number 121 to Pennsylvania & Others, Theater Macabre and The Novellas. He has also appeared in a number of publications, including Postscripts, Cemetery Dance, Grave Tales, Shivers II, Shivers III, Shivers IV, Looking Glass, Masques V, Subterranean #1, Evermore, Inhuman, Horror World, Surreal Magazine, and Corpse Blossoms.
Aside from his accomplishments as an author, Kealan also edited the anthologies: Taverns of the Dead (recipient of a starred review in Publishers Weekly), Brimstone Turnpike, Quietly Now: A Tribute to Charles L. Grant (International Horror Guild Award Nominee, 2004), the charity anthology Tales from the Gorezone and Night Visions 12.
An 8-minute short film based on his short story "Peekers" was written by author Rick Hautala, and was directed by Mark Steensland. A feature film adaptation is currently in development from Lionsgate Entertainment, written by Mike Flanagan and Jeff Howard ("Oculus", "Soma") and produced by Lawrence Grey..
- Nemesis: The Death of Timmy Quinn (Thunderstorm Books)
- Kin (Cemetery Dance Publications)
- Currency of Souls (Subterranean Press)
- Master of the Moors (first released as a serialized e-novel in 2002, later published in hardcover by Necessary Evil Press)
- The Living (released as an online serial)
Kealan Patrick Burke was the first writer for what Underland Press called a Wovel (a web-novel). It was an ongoing novel, almost in the style of a Choose Your Own Adventure book. As the author writes it, the readers vote on which direction the story will go.
- Midlisters (Biting Dog Press)
- You In? (Bad Moon Books)
- The Tent
- Seldom Seen in August
- Jack & Jill (Cemetery Dance Publications)
- Looking Glass – A collaborative effort, round robin style story co-authored by Gary A. Braunbeck, Dominick Cancilla, Ray Garton, Joe Hill, Brian Keene, Tim Lebbon, Thomas F. Monteleone, Robert Morrish, Tom Piccirilli, Al Sarrantonio, John Skipp, and Bev Vincent (Cemetery Dance Signature Series No. 1, 2006) ISBN 1-58767-125-5
Timmy Quinn series
Series of novels and novellas featuring the character known as Timmy Quinn.
- The Turtle Boy (Necessary Evil Press, 2004) ISBN 0-9753635-0-6 – Winner of the 2004 Bram Stoker Award for Best Long Fiction
- The Hides (Cemetery Dance Publications, 2005) ISBN 1-58767-120-4 – Nominated for a 2005 Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel
- Vessels (Bloodletting Press, 2006) ISBN 0-9768531-3-2
- The Turtle Boy: Peregrine's Tale (Cemetery Dance Publications) ISBN 978-1-58767-195-1
- Nemesis: The Death of Timmy Quinn (Thunderstorm Books, 2012) ISBN 978-1-49056-636-8
Short fiction collections
- Ravenous Ghosts (Dark Essential Series Book #3) (3F Publications, 2003 and reissued by Delirium Books, July 2004)
- Introduction – Jack Cady
- "Familiar Faces"
- "The Barbed Lady Wants for Nothing"
- "The Binding"
- "The Wrong Pocket"
- "Sparrow Man"
- "The Room Beneath the Stairs"
- "Editor's Choice"
- "From Hamlin to Harpersville"
- "Cold Skin"
- "Not While I'm Around"
- "Someone to Carve the Pumpkins"
- "The Man Who Breaks the Bad News"
- "The Defenseless"
- "Haunting Ground"
- Afterword – Gary Braunbeck
- The Number 121 to Pennsylvania and Others (Cemetery Dance Publications, 2008) ISBN 978-1-58767-168-5
- "The Grief Frequency"
- "The Number 121 to Pennsylvania"
- "Mr. Goodnight" (short story version)
- "High on the Vine" (previously unpublished short story)
- "Tonight the Moon is Ours"
- "Will You Tell Them I Died Quietly?"
- "The Last Laugh"
- Saturday Night At Eddie's (an original novella)
- "Mr. Goodnight" (original screenplay version)
- Story Notes
- "Head in the Clouds"
- "How the Night Receives Them"
- "The Acquaintance"
- "The Unborn"
- "Long Distance"
- "The Wrong Side of the Bed"
- "The Tradition"
- "Not Quite Ghosts"
- "They See You When You're Sleeping"
- "From the Wall, A Whisper"
- "Visiting Hours"
- "Outside the Theater"
- "A Letter from Phoenix"
- "Eight Minutes"
- "The Tent"
- "You In?"
- "Seldom Seen in August"
- Corpse Blossoms, edited by Julia Sevin & R.J. Sevin (Hemlock Press, 2007) – Contains the short story "Empathy"
- In Delirium II, edited by John Everson (Delirium, 2007) – contains the short story "Concrete Gods" co-written by Harry Shannon
- At Ease with the Dead: New Tales of the Supernatural and Macabre, edited by Barbara Roden and Christopher Roden (Ash-Tree Press, 2007) – Contains the short story "Visiting Hours"
- Cinema Macabre, edited by Mark Morris (PS Publishing, 2006) – includes an essay by Mr. Burke about the 1980 film The Fog
- Masques V, edited by Jerry Williamson & Gary A. Braunbeck (Gauntlet Pres, 2006) – Contains the short story "Stirrings"
- Evermore, edited by James Robert Smith and Stephen Mark Rainey (2006, Arkham House) – Contains the short story "From the Wall, a Whisper"
- Shivers IV, edited by Richard Chizmar (Cemetery Dance Publications, 2006) – Contains the short story "Prohibited"
- Eulogies: A Horror World Yearbook, edited by Nanci Kalanta (NYX Publications/HW Press, 2006) ISBN 0-9776681-0-X – Contains the short story "Peekers"
- The Book of Final Flesh (All Flesh Must Be Eaten), edited by James Lowder (2003, Eden Studios) ISBN 1-891153-78-1 – Contains the short story "Not Quite Ghosts"
- A Splintered Mind edited by Trent Zelazny.
Anthologies as editor
- Quietly Now (a tribute to Charles L. Grant), edited by Kealan Patrick Burke (Borderlands 2004). – Nominated for the 2004 Bram Stoker Award for Best Anthology
- Tales From the Gorezone (Apt 42 Publications, 2004) – featuring John R. Little, Brian Keene, Gary A. Braunbeck and many more. Also features Mr. Burke's "Drown Not Thyself"
- Taverns of the Dead, edited by Kealan Patrick Burke (Cemetery Dance Publications, 2005) ISBN 1-58767-082-8
- Night Visions 12, edited by Kealan Patrick Burke (Subterranean Press, 2006) ISBN 1-59606-070-0 – features short stories by Simon Clark, Mark Morris, and P.D. Cacek
- Brimstone Turnpike, edited by Kealan Patrick Burke (Cemetery Dance Publications, 2008)
- "Preview of Brimstone Turnpike", edited by Kealan Patrick Burke (Cemetery Dance Publications, 2006)
- Allen K's Inhuman Magazine No. 3, edited by Allen Koszowski – includes the short story "Tonight The Moon Is Ours"
- Cemetery Dance No. 47 – includes the short story "Number 121 To Pennsylvania"
- Cemetery Dance No. 51 – includes the short story "Mr. Goodnight"
- Cemetery Dance No. 54 – includes the short story "Snowmen"
- Cemetery Dance Presents: Grave Tales #5 – includes a comic book adaption by Glenn Chadbourne of the short story "Snowmen"
- Postscripts No. 11 – includes the short story "Cobwebs"
- Kealan Patrick Burke's official website.
- Mr. Burke's "wovel" The Living
- Lionsgate Buys Peekers Pitch