Keating Muething & Klekamp
|No. of offices||2|
|No. of attorneys||105|
|Major practice areas||Corporate Representation & Transactions; Commercial Finance & Reorganization; Litigation; Insurance Coverage & Litigation; Real Estate, Labor & Employment; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Private Client Services|
Keating Muething & Klekamp PLL (often known as KMK) is a law firm based in Cincinnati, Ohio. KMK attorneys practice in the following areas of law: Banking, Insurance & Financial Services; Business Representation & Transactions; Commercial Finance & Reorganization; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Insurance Coverage & Litigation; Intellectual Property; Labor & Employment; Litigation; Private Client Services; and Real Estate Law. As of January 2013, the firm has 105 attorneys and approximately 150 staff members. The firm's Managing Partner is Paul V. Muething and the Executive Partner is Rachael A. Rowe.
The firm was founded as Keating, Muething & Keating by brothers Charles Keating, Jr. and William J. Keating and John L. Muething, a friend of Charles Keating's from the University of Cincinnati College of Law.
In 1958, William Keating began his career in government service as judge of Hamilton County Municipal Court; as a requirement of his judicial service, the name of the firm was changed to Keating & Muething. After the appointment, Donald P. Klekamp was hired from U.S. Steel in Cleveland to take over William's work. In the mid-1960s, Klekamp was elected partner, and the name of the firm was changed to Keating, Muething & Klekamp.
The firm has historically had strong connections to the U.S. Republican Party. Founding partner William Keating would go on to become a Republican U.S. House of Representatives member from Ohio's 1st congressional district in the early 1970s as well as publisher of The Cincinnati Enquirer.
Trey Grayson, the Republican Secretary of State of Kentucky, has worked for the firm in estate planning and corporate law. Pat DeWine, a Republican county-level officeholder and former congressional candidate, was an associate with the firm. His father, former Ohio Republican U.S. Senator Mike DeWine, joined the firm in 2007, working as corporate investigations group co-chair.
Awards and recognitions
- 2013 Chambers USA recognized KMK as a Leading Law Firm in several areas including General Commercial Litigation, Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions and Bankruptcy/Restructuring.
- KMK earned National Rankings in the U.S. News "Best Law Firms" 2013 Report in four areas including Commercial Litigation, Corporate Law, Land Use & Zoning and Venture Capital Law. The firm earned 35 Metropolitan Rankings as well.
- Super Lawyers named KMK the Top Corporate & Transactions Law Firm in Ohio in 2013.
- KMK was named a Top Ranked Law Firm in the Midwest 2012 by The American Lawyer
- Corporate Counsel named KMK a 2012 "Go-To" Law Firm in several areas including Litigation, Labor & Employment, Corporate Transactions, and Securities Law.
- The National Law Journal named KMK to the 2012 Midsize Hot List, delineating the top 20 mid-sized law firms in the U.S.
- Three KMK lawyers have been elected to the American College of Trial Lawyers: James E. Burke, Louis F. Gilligan, and Gregory M. Utter. Gregory Utter was inducted as a Fellow to the Litigation Counsel of America.
Wholly owned subsidiaries
Riverbend Commercial Title Agency is a wholly owned subsidiary of Keating Muething & Klekamp PLL. Riverbend clients include: developers, builders, commercial lenders, buyers, sellers, lessees, as well as referrals from commercial brokers and attorneys. Riverbend is an authorized agent of 5 nationally renowned underwriters, including Chicago Title Insurance Company, Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Co., First American Title Insurance Co., Ohio Bar Title Insurance Co., and Old Republic National Title Insurance Co.
KMK Consulting Company, founded in 1998 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Keating Muething & Klekamp PLL, provides specialized business consulting services to corporate, entrepreneurial, non-profit and executive clients and high-net-worth individuals. KMK Consulting Company specializes in advisory services in connection with: government affairs, leadership development, economic development, business alliances, and public/private partnerships. Collectively, the KMK Consulting team has more than 50 years of economic development related experience on a national basis. Clients include AK Steel, First Financial Bank, VRI, US Playing Card Company, Delta Airlines, and Macy's.
- "Attorney Search". Keating Muething & Klekamp. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "Overview". Keating Muething & Klekamp. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "Leadership". Keating Muething & Klekamp. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- KMK Law, History: Celebrating 50 Years, p. 1.
- Binstein and Bowden, Trust Me, pp. 88, 92.
- "Keating, Muething & Klekamp PLL". Hoover's. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- Eaton, Sabrina (2007-05-05). "Mike DeWine joins Cincinnati law firm". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- "Chambers and Partners". Chambers and Partners. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "Best Law Firms Rankings". U.S. News & World Report LP. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "About Us". Riverbend Commercial Title Agency. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "What We Do". KMK Consultingsm. Archived from the original on 2013-02-13. Retrieved 2013-01-30.