Kebab Turki Baba Rafi
|Kebab Turki Baba Rafi|
|Headquarters||Pondok Labu, Cilandak, South Jakarta, Indonesia|
Number of locations
|Products||Kebabs, hamburgers, sandwiches, roti canai, drinks, kripik, frozen foods|
|Parent||Baba Rafi Enterprise|
PT Baba Rafi Indonesia, d/b/a Kebab Turki Baba Rafi (abbreviated as KTBR) is the world's largest chain of kebab shops, which operates more than 1,200 outlets in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Bangladesh. Headquartered in Indonesia, the business began in 2003 as a cart operated by young entrepreneurs, Nilam Sari and Hendy Setiono. In 2005, the business applied the franchise system. It is owned by the founders through their company Baba Rafi Enterprise, which also owns Piramizza, Bebek Garang and Voila! 360’ communication agency.
An outlet is operated either by a franchisee or by the corporation itself. It is also a pioneer of sharia investing franchise in Indonesia. A variety of outlets types are used, such as food carts, shops, booth, indoor and non-stop 24-hour outlets.
The business began in 2003, with a cart operated by husband and wife team Nilam Sari and Hendy Setiono at Nginden Semolo Street in Surabaya, Indonesia. They built the business inspired by a journey to Qatar and the many sellers of Turkish-style doner kebab or shawarma. The "Baba Rafi" name was taken from Arabian word, "baba" meaning father, and "Rafi" is inspired from their first child's name, Rafi Darmawan.
In 2005, the business applied the franchise system for growing the business. It expanded to Malaysia, the expansion succeeded. The outlets operate not only in Indonesia, but also in Malaysia and the Philippines. Later, Kebab Turki Baba Rafi has continued its expansion into India, Hong Kong, Netherlands, Bangladesh and other countries around the world.
The Kebab Turki Baba Rafi headquarters complex, Graha Baba Rafi, is located in Pondok Labu Cilandak, South Jakarta. The office from Nginden Semolo, Surabaya and its facility moved to Jakarta, between 2008-2009.
- Foo, Vivian (25 April 2017). "World's biggest kebab chain Baba Rafi in talks to divest large stake - Reuters". Reuters. Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- "World's biggest kebab chain, Baba Rafi, could be coming to NZ". Stuff. August 26, 2015. Retrieved December 16, 2017.
- Rachmadi, B.N. (2007). Franchising - Membedah Tawaran Franch.: (in Indonesian). Gramedia Pustaka Utama. p. 84. ISBN 978-979-22-2762-8. Retrieved December 16, 2017.
- "Kebab franchise plans to open 200 more outlets in next five years - SME - The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "How digital fuelled Baba Rafi's globalisation". 7 January 2016. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Kebab Baba Rafi Rambah Malaysia dan Filipina - Suara Pembaruan". Retrieved 16 December 2017.