Kecoughtan High School
|Kecoughtan High School|
|522 Woodland Road
Hampton, Virginia 23669
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Hampton City Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Jeffery Smith|
|Enrollment||1900  (2007–08)|
|Color(s)||Green and White|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League 6A South Classification|
|Rival||Phoebus High School
Bethel High School
Hampton High School
|Communities served||Fox Hill, Virginia|
Kecoughtan High School is a public high school located in Hampton, Virginia. The current grades offered are 9–12. Kecoughtan High School is one of four high schools located in the Hampton City Public School District. The other three are Phoebus High School, Bethel High School (Hampton, Virginia), and Hampton High School (Hampton, Virginia).
- Asbury Elementary School
- Barron Elementary School
- Booker Elementary School
- Langley Elementary School
- Phillips Elementary School
- Capt John Smith Elementary School
- Jones Magnet Middle School
- Syms Middle School
- Eaton Middle School
- C. Vernon Spratley Gifted Center
Kecoughtan High School was originally built in 1961-1962 to handle the overflow of Hampton High School, the oldest high school in the city. Since then Kecoughtan has been used as an educational facility for high school students in the Fox Hill area, a major neighborhood in the Hampton Roads region. Kecoughtan is the only high school near the neighborhood.
The word Kecoughtan comes from the name of the Virginia Algonquian Native Americans living there when the English colonists arrived in the Hampton Roads area in 1607. The Native Americans were originally named Kikotan (also spelled Kiccowtan, Kikowtan etc.)
The first academic school year was 1963-64. Since the school was built to handle the overflow of Hampton High School students who were previously enrolled as sophomores at Hampton High School were enrolled as juniors at Kecoughtan High School. This makes the first graduating class 1964 and the 50th Graduating class from KHS was the class of 2014.
Kecoughtan High School offers many sports, and these include Baseball, Basketball, Cheerleading, Cross country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Boys and girls volleyball and Wrestling.
Recently, the school's wrestling team completed its first undefeated regular season, for the first time in the program's history.
In recent years, Kecoughtan's athletic teams have improved. In 2016, some players were announced as a part 2015 Group 5A All-State Football team.
|This section does not cite any sources. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Jo Ann Davis – Republican former congresswoman of Virginia
- Bert Mizusawa – Major General in the United States Army Reserve
- Jerod Mayo - National Football League player (2008–present)
- Macey Brooks - National Football League player (1997 - 2000)
- James Genus - jazz bassist
- Sam Newsome - jazz saxophonist
Marching and Symphonic Band
The Kecoughtan Marching "Warriors" are a Class AAA band that has been a Virginia Honor Band three times. The band was part of the 2011 National Memorial Day Parade Lineup in Washington, D.C., on May 30, 2011.
The Kecoughtan band has hosted their annual "Warrior Classic" marching band competition at Darling Stadium since 1990.
In spring of 2014, the Warrior Symphonic Band traveled to New York City to compete in the Festival of Music and placed first in the concert band division.
- "Kecoughtan High School Report Card". Virginia Department of Education. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- Press, Daily. "Kecoughtan wrestling looks to complete undefeated season". dailypress.com. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- Brierre, Chip. "VHSL Announces 2015 Group 5A All-State Football Teams". WRIC. Retrieved 2016-02-07.