This article is missing information about the film's reception.(March 2018)
|Directed by||Sean Carter|
|Written by||Joseph Dembner|
|Music by||Tyler Bates|
|Edited by||Christopher S. Capp|
|Distributed by||Screen Gems|
Keep Watching is a 2017 American horror film directed by Sean Carter and written by Joseph Dembner. It was produced by Nicolas Chartier, Andrew Rona, Alex Heineman, Craig J. Flores, Michael Fiore, and Joseph Dembner. It stars Bella Thorne, Ioan Gruffudd, Natalie Martinez, Chandler Riggs, Leigh Whannell, Matthew Willig, and Christopher James Baker.
The film was released on October 31, 2017, by Screen Gems for Halloween night and later, on DVD.
The film starts with a young girl being attacked. The next morning, news reporters interview people who had seen the murder through their devices, unaware that it was real, and a news reporter says that one of the family members is missing.
Jamie - a teenage girl - and her family come back home from a 10-day vacation, unaware that cameras have been set up in every corner of the house. Later that night, Adam - her father - gets an unexpected visit from his brother Matt, who comes over and asks to spend the night there. Adam agrees, but his new wife Olivia isn't happy about it. Matt talks with Jamie and she says that she isn't fond of her new step mom Olivia, thinking that she's trying to replace her real mother, but Matt assures Jamie that she has nothing to worry about.
Jamie Skype calls her boyfriend Josh, intending to tell him she might be pregnant, but backs out and ends the call. When everyone gets ready for bed, Matt goes outside to look for his phone and hears strange noises coming from the backyard. He is attacked with a hook. A man known as The Terror breaks into the house and takes everyone's phones, then seals all the windows outside, waking up Olivia.
Adam goes downstairs to see what the noise is and finds a flashlight with a bow on it. When he goes into the kitchen, a photo of someone standing behind him is taken, and he is smothered to death with a plastic bag in front of everyone. Jamie, her brother DJ and Olivia barricade themselves in Olivia's bedroom and they find that the family has been watched for months without anyone knowing, especially Jamie. They learn that their only chance to survive is to kill The Terror. As the remaining family members try to look for a way out, they are attacked by another intruder and they all hide in the basement, where a knife with a bow on it is discovered.
Police are heard, but they soon realize that it is a recording. Josh comes to the house and is filmed being killed by suffocation with a running hose. Olivia finds a way out of the house and she finds a red X taped on the ground by the gate.
Matt finds her but quickly gets killed with an axe. Just as Olivia escapes, a van pulls up. She climbs in the back and gets attacked again. DJ is locked in a room while Jamie is attacked. She finds a red X and uses a taser she found earlier in her room on the intruder and DJ kills the intruder with a sewing needle. They unmask the intruder, revealing it to be the girl that was reported missing from the family in the last murder.
Thinking they are safe, Jamie and DJ look around and find Olivia's body, Jamie's positive pregnancy test and videos of her mother and father with baby Jamie. Soon enough, they discover that people all over the world are watching and Jamie tries to tell them to call the police but is bleeped out, and so no one will know where she and DJ live. Jamie finds a mask with a bow on it and both her and DJ plan to escape.
While walking around the house, they find The Terror. Jamie pours gasoline on him and DJ throws a lighter on him, setting the house on fire in the process. Jamie and DJ escape, only to be captured by The Creator and The Terror who survived. They discover that the girl they killed was the missing member of the previous family, kidnapped and forced to aid them in the attack on Jamie's family. The Creator tells Jamie that if she aids them, her brother will be safe. The Creator tasers Jamie and says that she will give the online audience a reason to keep watching.
- Bella Thorne as Jamie
- Ioan Gruffudd as Adam, Jamie and DJ's father.
- Natalie Martinez as Olivia, Adam's new wife.
- Chandler Riggs as DJ, Jamie's brother and Adam's son.
- Leigh Whannell as Matt, Adam's brother and Jamie and DJ's uncle.
- Matthew Willig as The Terror
- Christopher James Baker as Creator
- Jared Abrahamson as Josh
- Maya Eshet as The Wasp
Originally titled Home Invasion, the screenplay was developed by former Silver Pictures executive Alex Heineman (Partner, The Picture Company) with screenwriter Joseph Dembner. In early 2013, Producer Michael Fiore and Director Sean Carter developed and filmed a sequence from Dembner's script in coordination with the producing team at Silver Pictures and Dembner. That demo secured Sean Carter's role as director on the feature version. In April 2013, Voltage Pictures secured the rights to the screenplay. In July 2013, Bella Thorne was the first confirmed name, announced as the lead role, Jamie. In September 2013, Natalie Martinez was also confirmed. Ioan Gruffudd and Chandler Riggs completed the main cast in October. The film began filming in Altadena, California in late November 2013.
In October 2015, Screen Gems acquired distribution rights to the film, changing the title from Home Invasion to Keep Watching. The film was originally scheduled to be released on December 2, 2016. It was released for one night on October 31, 2017.
- "Keep Watching (2017)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (October 30, 2015). "Bella Thorne Horror Movie 'Keep Watching' Acquired by Screen Gems". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 19, 2018.
- "Keep Watching Movie review". commonsensemedia.org. Retrieved March 19, 2018.
- "'Walking Dead's' Chandler Riggs and Ioan Gruffudd Join 'Home Invasion' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. August 7, 2012. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- "'Shake It Up' Star Bella Thorne Caught In Indie 'Home Invasion'". Deadline. August 7, 2012. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- "Walking Dead Star Joins Bella Thorne Home Invasion Thriller". Cinema Blend. August 7, 2012. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- "Bella Thorne Cast in 'Home Invasion'". Teen Magazine. August 7, 2012. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- "'Under the Dome' Star Cast in 'Home Invasion' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. August 7, 2012. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- "See Chandler Riggs on the Set of His New Movie, Home Invasion". Wetpaint. August 7, 2012. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- "Bella Thorne Talks About Working On Set Of 'Home Invasion' And 'Blended'". Teen Infonet. August 7, 2012. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- "Screen Gems Acquires Home-Invasion Thriller 'Keep Watching' Starring Bella Thorne". Deadline. October 30, 2015. Retrieved July 13, 2016.
- "Bella Thorne's Home Invasion Thriller 'Keep Watching' Lands at Screen Gems". The Wrap. October 30, 2015. Retrieved July 13, 2016.
- Miska, Brad (July 13, 2016). "EXCLUSIVES'Keep Watching' Poster's Game: Kill or Be Killed (Exclusive)". Bloody-Disgusting. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Miska, Brad (October 31, 2017). "MOVIESBella Thorne Slasher 'Keep Watching' Gets Halloween Release". Bloody-Disgusting.com. Retrieved October 11, 2017.