Kees van Hee
Kees Max van Hee (born 1946) is a Dutch computer scientist, and Emeritus Professor at the Eindhoven University of Technology, known for his development of the process modelling tool ExSpecT, and his seminal work on workflow management.
Van Hee studied Mathematics and Informatics at Eindhoven University of Technology, where in 1978 he received his PhD cum laude with a thesis entitled "Bayesian control of Markov chains", under supervision of Jaap Wessels and Fred W. Steutel.
From 1985 to 2011, Van Hee was Professor of Information Systems at the Faculty for Mathematics and Informatics, Eindhoven University of Technology. He supervised 20 doctoral students, among them Jan L.G. Dietz (1987), Geert-Jan P.M. Houben (1990), Ágoston E. Eiben (1991), Wil van der Aalst (1992), Peter Massuthe (2009), and Christian Stahl (2009).
As Dean of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer science at the Eindhoven University of Technology Van Hee had initiated an own investigation, asking among other Andries Brouwer and Gerard 't Hooft for a second opinion, which led to the cancellation of the PhD graduation of Marcoen Cabbolet in 2008. Afterwards a Committee for Scientific Integrity initially ruled that the Dean of the University and Deans of the Faculties had failed to apply the principle of audi alteram partem in the process, but in the appeal case Van Hee and others were acquitted.
Books a selection:
- 1978. Bayesian control of Markov chains. Doctoral thesis Eindhoven University of Technology. Amsterdam : Mathematisch Centrum.
- 1993. Systems engineering : a formal approach. Eindhoven : Eindhoven University of Technology.
- 2004. Workflow management: models, methods, and systems. With Wil van der Aalst. The MIT press, 2004.
- Hevner, Alan R., et al. "Design science in information systems research." MIS Quarterly 28.1 (2004): 75-105.
- AI Genealogy Project :: Kees van Hee Archived 2013-10-14 at the Wayback Machine. Accessed 18 September 2013.
- Lintje voor prof. Kees van Hee Archived 2011-11-17 at the Wayback Machine at tue.nl nieuws 14 november 2011.
- K.M. van Hee, B. Huitink and D.K. Leegwater (1986) Portplan : a decision support system for port terminals. Rotterdam : Econometric Institute. (One of the first reports for the Econometric Institute by Van Hee et al.
- "Bakkenist: Our people". Retrieved Oct 1, 2021.
- ""Middleware en workflow groeien snel en sterk naar elkaar toe"" (PDF). Business Process Magazine, nr. 1 (Interview) (in Dutch). Interviewed by Cok de Zwart. February 2002. Retrieved October 1, 2021.
- Van Hee, Kees; Van der Aalst, Wil (January 1, 2001). Workflow management: models, methods and systems (PDF). Technische Universiteit Eindhoven.
- Van Hee, Kees; Van der Aalst, Wil (2002). Workflow management: models, methods and systems. The MIT Press. ISBN 0-262-01189-1.
- Van Hee, Kees; Van der Aalst, Wil (2004). Workflow management: modellen, methoden and systems (in Dutch) (2e herziene ed.). Academic Press. ISBN 0-262-01189-1.
- M.J.T.F. Cabbolet, Scientific Misconduct: three forms that directly harm others as the modus operandi of Mill's tyranny of the prevailing opinion, Science and Engineering Ethics 20(1), 41-54 (2014)
- ANP, TU/e mistaken in reevaluation dissertation NRC, edition August 29, 2008 (in Dutch)
- Kees van Hee at tue.nl