Kees van Hee
Kees Max van Hee (born 1946) is a Dutch computer scientist, and Emeritus Professor at the Eindhoven University of Technology, known for his development of the process modelling tool ExSpecT, and his seminal work on workflow management.
Van Hee studied Mathematics and Informatics at the Eindhoven University of Technology, where in 1978 he received his PhD cum laude with the thesis entitled "Bayesian control of Markov chains" under supervision of Jaap Wessels and Fred W. Steutel.
In 1985 Van Hee was appointed Professor of Information Systems at the Faculty for Mathematics and Informatics of the Eindhoven University of Technology. He was also research fellow of the Econometric Institute at the Erasmus University Rotterdam. Van Hee supervised 20 doctoral students, among them Jan L.G. Dietz (1987), Geert-Jan P.M. Houben (1990), Ágoston E. Eiben (991), Peter Massuthe (2009) and Christian Stahl (2009). From 1994 to 2004 Van Hee was also director at the accountancy firm Bakkenist, and after being bought by Deloitte partner at Deloitte. In 2011 he retired at the Eindhoven University of Technology.
As Dean of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer science at the Eindhoven University of Technology Van Hee had initiated an own investigation, asking among other Andries Brouwer and Gerard 't Hooft for a second opinion, which led to the cancellation of the PhD graduation of Marcoen Cabbolet in 2008. Afterwards a Committee for Scientific Integrity initially ruled that the Dean of the University and Deans of the Faculties had failed to apply the principle of audi alteram partem in the process, but in the appeal case Van Hee and others were acquitted.
Books a selection:
- 1978. Bayesian control of Markov chains. Doctoral thesis Eindhoven University of Technology. Amsterdam : Mathematisch Centrum.
- 1993. Systems engineering : a formal approach. Eindhoven : Eindhoven University of Technology.
- 2004. Workflow management: models, methods, and systems. With Wil van der Aalst. The MIT press, 2004.
- Hevner, Alan R., et al. "Design science in information systems research." MIS Quarterly 28.1 (2004): 75-105.
- AI Genealogy Project :: Kees van Hee Archived 2013-10-14 at the Wayback Machine. Accessed 18 September 2013.
- K.M. van Hee, B. Huitink and D.K. Leegwater (1986) Portplan : a decision support system for port terminals. Rotterdam : Econometric Institute. (One of the first reports for the Econometric Institute by Van Hee et al.
- Lintje voor prof. Kees van Hee Archived 2011-11-17 at the Wayback Machine at tue.nl nieuws 14 november 2011.
- M.J.T.F. Cabbolet, Scientific Misconduct: three forms that directly harm others as the modus operandi of Mill's tyranny of the prevailing opinion, Science and Engineering Ethics 20(1), 41-54 (2014)
- ANP, TU/e mistaken in reevaluation dissertation NRC, edition August 29, 2008 (in Dutch)
- Kees van Hee at tue.nl