Kehot Publication Society
|Founder||Rabbi Yosef Yitzchak Schneersohn|
|Headquarters location||Brooklyn, New York|
|Distribution||North America, Israel, South America, South Africa, Australia|
Kehot Publication Society is the publishing division of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement.
Only a handful of classic Chabad texts were available for study in 1942, but under the leadership of Rabbi Schneerson Kehot became the world's largest publisher of Jewish literature, with more than 100,000,000 volumes printed to date in Hebrew, Yiddish, English, Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, German, Persian and Arabic.
Rabbi Schneerson dedicated much time to his editorial responsibilities, and in a 1946 letter noted the many obligations: "recently I have had to edit a booklet about Purim and Passover in French (similar to the one about Tishrei), one about Purim in English, the first volume of Our People in English, the final proofreading of [the Hassidic discourse] Mayim Rabim. In the middle of being proofread are: the appendices to Tzemach Tzedek, the booklet Ha-Tzemach Tzedek Ve-haHaskalah, a collection of the Rebbe [Rashab]’s talks. At the beginning of being proofread are Kuntres Eitz HaChaim, a booklet about the Rebbe Maharash, the talks of the Rebbe [Rayatz], a book of Hassidic Discourses, a book of questions and answers between a teacher and a child regarding Jewish religion and practice in English, a code of Jewish law for youth in English etc., etc."
The name Kehot (קה"ת) is an acronym for Karnei Hod Torah ("the rays of the Torah's glory"), and the three Hebrew letters feature in the publishing house's logo. The letters also refer to the Hebrew year, 5505 (תק"ה), in which the founder of Chabad, Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi, was born.
Kehot has started to host an annual book-a-thon with the purpose of promoting Jewish literacy as well as helping to build Jewish libraries.
Awards and honors
- (2017) Best Book Award, Religion – A Time to Heal, ISBN 978 082 669 0012
- (2015) Benjamin Franklin Award Gold Winner – Daily Wisdom, ISBN 978 082 660 0950
- (2005) National Jewish Book Award Finalist – The Last Pair of Shoes, ISBN 978 082 660 0318
- Kehot Publication Society
- A selection of books published by Kehot Publication Society online chabad.org
- Kehot Lubavitch Sudamericana - Kehot publications in Spanish www.kehot.com.ar
- Some of the Spanish books published by Editorial Kehot Lubavitch Sudamericana can be found online here es.chabad.org
- Kehot Publication Society YouTube
- Kehot Publication Society Google maps
- the Rebbe's Army, page 299
- Igrot Kodesh vol. 2, page 90
|This article about Chabad Hasidism is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States publishing company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|