Kobayashi in 1955
November 23, 1923|
|Died||September 16, 2010(aged 86)|
Keiju Kobayashi (小林桂樹 Kobayashi Keiju, 23 November 1923 – 16 September 2010) was a Japanese actor. Born in Gunma Prefecture, he began acting at the Nikkatsu studio after dropping out of Nihon University and made his film debut in 1942. In a career that spanned 65 years, he appeared in over 250 films, most famously in the "Company President" (Shachō) comedy films made at Toho, where he worked alongside Hisaya Morishige, Daisuke Katō, Norihei Miki, and others. There he helped define the popular image of the postwar salaryman. He also won many awards for his acting, including best actor awards at the Mainichi Film Awards for The Naked General in 1958 (where he played Kiyoshi Yamashita), for Kuroi gashū in 1960, and for The Elegant Life of Mr Everyman in 1963. Kobayashi appeared in films made by such notable directors as Akira Kurosawa, Yasujirō Ozu, Mikio Naruse, and Kihachi Okamoto. He continued to give powerful performances after largely moving to television in the late 1960s.
- Night School (1956)
- Shūu (1956)
- A Holiday in Tokyo (東京の休日 Tōkyō no kyūjitsu) (1958)
- The Naked General (裸の大将 Hadaka no taishō) (1958)
- Kuroi gashū (黒い画集) (1960)
- The End of Summer (1961)
- Burari Bura-bura Monogatari (1962)
- The Elegant Life of Mr Everyman (江分利満氏の優雅な生活 Eburi Man-shi no yūgana seikatsu) (1963)
- Sanjuro (1962)
- The Sword (1964)
- Samurai Assassin (1965)
- Shinsengumi: Assassins of Honor (1969)
- Battle of Okinawa (1971)
- Submersion of Japan (1973)
- Tora-san, the Intellectual (1975)
- The Return of Godzilla (1984)
- Tree Without Leaves (1986)
- A Taxing Woman (1987)
- Whisper of the Heart (1995) – Shirō Nishi (voice)
- Koi Suru Kanojo, Nishi e (2008)
Selected television appearances
- Kaze to Kumo to Niji to (1975)
- Edo no Kaze (1975~1981)
- Edo no Uzu (1978)
- Edo no Gekitou (1979)
- Tokugawa Ieyasu (1983) - Taigen Sessai
- Haru no Hatō (1985) - Fukuzawa Yukichi
- "Actor Keiju Kobayashi dies at 86". The Japan Times. 19 September 2010. Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- Cremin, Stephen (19 September 2010). "Veteran actor Kobayashi Keiju dies". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- Gerow, Aaron (18 September 2010). "Kobayashi Keiju". Tangemania. Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- "Mainichi Eiga Konkūru no ayumi: 1958-nen" (in Japanese). Mainichi Film Awards. Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- "Mainichi Eiga Konkūru no ayumi: 1960-nen" (in Japanese). Mainichi Film Awards. Archived from the original on 23 July 2011. Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- "Mainichi Eiga Konkūru no ayumi: 1963-nen" (in Japanese). Mainichi Film Awards. Archived from the original on 5 October 2010. Retrieved 2 October 2010.