Simmons (center) interviewing U.S. Secretary of State, John Kerry, on June 27, 2016
22 February 1972 |
London, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Goldsmiths College (University of London)|
Keir Simmons (born 22 February 1972) is an English journalist. Since August 2012, he has been a correspondent for NBC News. For NBC Simmons has covered many major international events including the recent terror attacks in Paris and Brussels, the war in Syria, the fight against ISIS, the shooting down of flight MH17 in Ukraine, the disappearance of flight MH370, the British 'Brexit' vote, the Sochi and Rio Olympic Games. In 2017 his coverage of the G20 riots in Hamburg won plaudits  and he gained a first exclusive interview with a Russian lawyer who met with Donald Trump Jnr  He has interviewed many world leaders including US Vice President Michael Pence, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair. In addition he has interviewed a long list of Hollywood stars including George Clooney, Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock, and Julia Roberts. He was previously UK Editor for ITN' s ITV News, where he covered stories including the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami, the 7 July 2005 London bombings.
Early life and education
Simmons was born in London, England and grew up in Bristol. He was educated at Wellsway School, a state comprehensive school in the town of Keynsham in Somerset in South West England, followed by Goldsmiths College, a constituent college of the University of London, where he obtained a Bachelor's degree. He has one sister, actress Mika Simmons.
Simmons joined ITN as a reporter for IRN in 1996, before becoming a sometime general reporter on its ITV News service in 1998. While remaining with the organization he intermittently worked for Sky News, 5 News and ITV London's London Tonight. On 30 September 2010, it was announced that he would be promoted from crime correspondent to UK editor.
In 2013 Simmons covered the resignation of Pope Benedict and selection of Pope Francis's for NBC's TODAY from Rome.
In 2014 Simmons covered the Sochi Winter Olympics for NBC <
In November 2015 he covered the Paris terror attacks.
In July 2016 he was nominated for an Emmy award in the category 'Outstanding Coverage of a Breaking News Story in a News Magazine' for his contribution to a Dateline NBC special 'Terror in Paris'.
In July 2017 he was nominated for an Emmy award in the category 'Outstanding Coverage of a Breaking News Story in a News Magazine' for his contribution to a TODAY Show special 'Terror in Brussels'.
Simmons additionally works as a facilitator of live debates and events.
- List of people from London
- List of reporters for ITV News
- List of University of London people
- Lists of writers
- "Keir Simmons - Biography and Images". TV Newsroom. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Mika Simmons". IMDb. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- Staff (30 September 2010). "Confirmed: ITV UK Editor Announced". TV Newsroom. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "ITV News appoints Keir Simmons as its new UK editor". Press Gazette. Archived from the original on 11 February 2016. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- Staff (undated). LTW – Annual Programme Statement 2003 and Programme Review 2002 (PDF format). London Weekend Television (via Ofcom). Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Keir Simmons Joins NBC News as London-Based Correspondent". Broadway World. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- Papal Conclave Coverage: Broadcast and Cable Networks | TVNewser
- Terror Attacks in Paris | TVNewser
- Terror Attacks in Paris | TVNewser
- Networks Send Anchors, Correspondents to Brussels in Wake of Terror Attacks | TVNewser
- NBC NEWS GOES BIG FOR 2016 RIO OLYMPICS WITH ‘TODAY’ AND ‘NBC NIGHTLY NEWS WITH LESTER HOLT’ LIVE FROM BRAZIL STARTING AUGUST 1 | NBCUniversal Media Village
- "Keir Simmons - Biography and Images". TV Newsroom. Retrieved 21 March 2017.