Seal of Keiser University
|Motto||Integritas, Veritas, Sapientia|
Motto in English
|Purity, Truth, Wisdom|
|Location||Fort Lauderdale, Florida- main campus
Keiser University is a private (formerly for-profit) university based in Florida. Keiser provides educational programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels in traditional and online delivery formats. The school is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and is also a member of the Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida.The main campus is in Fort Lauderdale, with additional branches located in other parts of Florida and internationally.
In 1977, Arthur Keiser and his mother, Evelyn, created a career college, the Keiser School, in Fort Lauderdale to prepare students for jobs in Florida’s growing business and healthcare communities. In 1982, with the addition of paralegal and computer programs, the school changed its name to the Keiser Institute of Technology. In 1986 the school began to award associate degrees and became Keiser College. In 2001 the company created its first bachelor's degree programs. Five years later, in 2006, the for-profit school again changed its name and became Keiser University.
In 2010, the Florida Attorney General began to investigate Keiser University and several other for-profit schools based in the state. In 2011, Arthur Keiser sold the institution to Everglades College Inc., a non-profit entity founded by Keiser that also operates Everglades University, for an undisclosed sum.
Licensure and accreditation
Keiser University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award certificates and degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, master's and doctoral levels. Keiser University is licensed by the Commission for Independent Education in Florida.
Community College Week ranked Keiser 2nd nationally for colleges with associate degree programs in "health professions and related programs," 5th nationally for colleges with associate degree programs in "nursing: registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing;" and 11th nationally for colleges with associate degree programs in "computer and information sciences and support services."
In 2014, U.S. News & World Report ranked Keiser University 14th in the United States South Region of Regional Colleges Best for Veterans.
- "Keiser History". Keiser University. 2007. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
- "INTEGRITAS VERITAS SAPIENTIA®. 2011. Keiser University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL , USA". 2010. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- Travis, Scott (September 12, 2011). "Keiser University celebrates 35th year by becoming a nonprofit". Florida Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "Letter From The Chancellor". Keiser University. 2010. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- Scott Travis, "A higher degree of success: for-profit universities are gaining in popularity in Florida", South Florida Sun-Sentinel, 19 July 2008
- "Keiser University: San Marcos, Carazo, Nicaragua". Keiser University. Keiser University. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Keiser University: Nonprofit Operation Advantageous". The Ledger. January 21, 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
- Luzer, Daniel (January 24, 2011). "Beyond Profit". Washington Monthly. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
- Articulation Agreement Between the Florida Division of Community Colleges and Keiser University, February 8, 2007
- "Associate Degree and Certificate Producers, 2014". Community College Week. Aug 20, 2014. Retrieved Sep 18, 2014.
- "Best Colleges for Veterans: Regional Colleges (South)". U.S. News & World Report. 2014. Retrieved Sep 18, 2014.