Keith Berry (fighter)
Berry sparring with Camp Pendleton boxing team coach in 2009.
Keith Adam Berry|
October 25, 1987
Murrieta, California, United States
|Other names||The K.O. Kid|
|Residence||Murrieta, California, United States|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||184.8 lb (83.8 kg; 13.20 st)|
|Reach||73.5 in (187 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Murrieta, California, United States|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Notable school(s)||Murrieta Valley High School|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Keith Berry (born October 25, 1987) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in Bellator's Middleweight division. A professional competitor since 2005, Berry has formerly fought for the WEC, Strikeforce, King of the Cage and ShoXC. Berry is the former King of the Cage Middleweight Champion.
Berry is from Murrieta, California, and attended Murrieta Valley High School where he competed in wrestling. Despite having a quiet personality, Berry got into many fights and was eventually placed in juvenile hall. Upon his release, his wrestling coach introduced Berry to boxing.
Mixed martial arts career
Early career: World Extreme Cagefighting and King of the Cage
Berry started his career in 2005 for the California-based promotions King of the Cage and World Extreme Cagefighting. On his two bouts for WEC, he won against Donny Rider and lost against Terry Martin. For KOTC, he won five bouts and the middleweight title, remaining undefeated in the organization until his light heavyweight title fight against Tony Lopez, in which he lost via TKO in the third round.
Between 2009 and 2010, Berry fought four times for Gladiator Challenge, obtaining four consecutive victories. Despite having lost against Brett Cooper on Lords of the Cage, in 2011 Berry signed with Strikeforce.
Berry was expected to face Andreas Spång on November 18, 2012 at Strikeforce Challengers: Britt vs. Sayers. However, for undisclosed reasons he was forced out of the bout and was replaced by Willie Parks.
Berry faced Adlan Amagov on April 14, 2012 at Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman. He lost via TKO in the first round. The ruling was controversial as Amagov seemed to throw a linear kick to the knee of Berry an illegal strike under the Unified Rules of MMA. The kick caused Berry to fall down. Berry then began verbally protesting to the referee Herb Dean, who interpreted this as Berry requesting to stop the fight.
Berry was released from the promotion on June 25, 2014.
Despite being released in June 2014, Berry returned to face Joe Pacheco on October 3, 2014 at Bellator 127. He initially won the fight by split decision. However, Berry failed his post-fight drug test and the California commission changed the result to a No Contest.
Championships and accomplishments
- King of the Cage
- Xplode Fight Series
- XFS Middleweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|30 matches||15 wins||13 losses|
|Draw||15–13–1 (1)||Kevin Casey||Draw (majority)||Bellator 170||January 21, 2017||3||5:00||Inglewood, California, United States|
|NC||15–13 (1)||Joe Pacheco||No Contest||Bellator 127||October 3, 2014||3||5:00||Temecula, California, United States||Originally a split decision win for Berry; overturned after failing a drug test.|
|Loss||15–13||Dave Vitkay||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 116||April 11, 2014||3||5:00||Temecula, California, United States|
|Loss||15–12||Eugene Fadiora||TKO (punches)||Bellator 105||October 25, 2013||2||4:19||Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States|
|Loss||15–11||Jeremy Kimball||KO (punches)||Bellator 97||July 31, 2013||2||1:45||Rio Rancho, New Mexico||190 lb Catchweight bout.|
|Win||15–10||Cortez Coleman||Decision (split)||Bellator 96||June 19, 2013||3||5:00||Thackerville, Oklahoma||186.4 lb Catchweight bout; Berry missed weight.|
|Win||14–10||Richard Rigmaden||Submission (kimura)||Bellator 92||March 7, 2013||1||1:31||Temecula, California|
|Win||13–10||Edward Darby||TKO (punches)||Xplode Fight Series: Vengeance||January 19, 2013||1||1:02||Valley Center, California|
|Win||12–10||Josh Gibson||TKO (punches)||Xplode Fight Series: Anarchy||September 22, 2012||1||1:05||Valley Center, California||Won XFS Middleweight Championship.|
|Loss||11–10||Adlan Amagov||TKO (leg kick and punches)||Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman||August 18, 2012||1||0:48||San Diego, California|
|Loss||11–9||Tyson Jeffries||Submission (rear-naked choke)||FCOC: Fight Club OC||April 14, 2012||1||4:10||Costa Mesa, California|
|Win||11–8||Kenny Aires||DQ||Gladiator Challenge: Season's Beatings 3||December 4, 2011||1||N/A||San Jacinto, California|
|Loss||10–8||Gian Villante||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers: Gurgel vs. Duarte||August 12, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||10–7||Trevor Smith||Technical submission (north-south choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Fodor vs. Terry||June 24, 2011||2||3:02||Kent, Washington, United States|
|Loss||10–6||Brett Cooper||KO (punches)||LOTC: Lords of the Cage||November 19, 2010||1||0:10||Temecula, California, United States|
|Win||10–5||Brendan Ellison||TKO (punches)||Gladiator Challenge: Fahrenheit||August 20, 2010||1||0:46||San Jacinto, California|
|Win||9–5||Sam Salas||KO (punch)||Gladiator Challenge: Bad Behavior||June 27, 2010||1||0:06||San Jacinto, California|
|Win||8–5||Brian Campbell||Submission (punches)||Gladiator Challenge: Vision Quest||February 21, 2010||1||0:14||San Jacinto, California, United States|
|Win||7–5||Jeff Avants||TKO (punches)||Gladiator Challenge: Never Quit||November 8, 2009||1||0:25||San Jacinto, California, United States|
|Loss||6–5||Doug Marshall||KO (punches)||PureCombat 10: Fearless||October 17, 2009||1||4:41||Tulare, California|
|Loss||6–4||Tony Lopez||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Immortal||February 27, 2009||3||4:29||San Jacinto, California, United States||For King of the Cage Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Loss||6–3||Ray Lizama||TKO (punches to the body)||ShoXC: Hamman vs. Suganuma 2||August 15, 2008||2||2:15||Friant, California, United States|
|Win||6–2||Umar Luv||Submission (strikes)||KOTC: Final Chapter||December 2, 2007||2||4:50||San Jacinto, California, United States||Defended King of the Cage Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||5–2||Sean Loeffler||Submission (triangle choke)||KOTC: Collision Course||August 5, 2007||1||2:05||San Jacinto, California, United States||Won King of the Cage Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||4–2||Adrian Perez||KO (knee)||KOTC: Sinister||April 27, 2007||1||0:12||San Jacinto, California, United States|
|Loss||3–2||Kawika Morton||Decision (split)||CCFC: Judgment Day||February 17, 2007||3||5:00||Santa Rosa, California, United States|
|Loss||3–1||Terry Martin||TKO (punches)||WEC 24: Full Force||October 12, 2006||1||2:52||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Aiki Cavanaugh||KO||KOTC: Mangler||June 9, 2006||1||0:06||San Jacinto, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Donny Rider||TKO (punches)||WEC 20: Cinco de Mayhem||May 5, 2006||1||0:36||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Johnny Vasquez||TKO (punches)||KOTC 63: Final Conflict||December 2, 2005||1||N/A||San Jacinto, California, United States|
- Keith Berry's profile Tapology.com
- Mixed martial arts: local fighter turns it around thanks to MMA by Brian Haas (UTSanDiego.com) on November 18, 2010
- King of the Cage: fight results from King of the Cage - Immortal Kingofthecage.com (February 26, 2009)
- Strikeforce Challengers 16 takes shape with solid four-bout preliminary card by Dann Stupp (MMAjunkie.com) on May 26, 2011
- Strikeforce Challengers 16 results: Fodor edges Terry, Ricehouse plays spoiler by Dann Stupp (MMAjunkie.com) on June 25, 2011
- Strikeforce Challengers 18 results: Duarte decisions Gurgel, Rousey nets verbal tap by John Morgan and Karime Gaytan-Morgan (MMAjunkie.com) on August 13, 2011
- Parks replaces Berry, meets Spang at Friday's Strikeforce Challengers 20 event MMAjunkie.com (November 17, 2011)
- Strikeforce: Rousey Vs Kaufman results – fan reaction by David King (Yahoo.com) on August 19, 2012
- Keith Berry claims Bellator offered him a contract by Joseph Lisnow (Fightline.com) on February 6, 2013
- Bellator 92 results: Khasbulaev vs. Richman, Marshall vs. Cooper set for finals MMAjunkie.com (March 8, 2013)
- Bellator 96 results: play-by-play & updates Sherdog.com (June 19, 2013)
- Bellator 97 results: Michael Chandler and Ben Askren defend belts, King Mo earns title shot by Ken Pishna (MMAweekly.com) on August 1, 2013
- Bellator 105 results: Brooks and Sarnavskiy book tourney-final date Dann Stupp (MMAjunkie.com) on October 25, 2013
- "Bellator 116 results: play-by-play & updates". sherdog.com. April 11, 2014.
- "Ex-title challengers Eric Prindle, Anthony Leone, among 19 fighters released by Bellator". sherdog.com. June 25, 2014.
- "Bellator 127 full fight card finalized for Pechanga Resort & Casino on Oct. 3 on Spike TV". mmamania.com. September 15, 2014.
- Interview: Keith "KO Kid" Berry talks KOTC title-winning bout MMAfighting.com (August 10, 2007)
- Xplode Fight Series - Anarchy official results Mixedmartialarts.com
- Jeremy Kimball vs. Keith Berry Tapology.com
- Bellator 96 weigh-in results: two fighters miss marks in Oklahoma (updated) MMAjunkie.com (June 18, 2013)