Keith Ferguson (musician)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ferguson on bass
|Born||July 23, 1946|
|Died||April 29, 1997(aged 50)|
|Genres||Blues, blues-rock rock and roll, R&B|
|Instruments||Vocals, bass, guitar|
|Labels||Epic, CBS, Chrysalis|
|Associated acts||The Fabulous Thunderbirds, The Tailgators|
Keith Ferguson (July 23, 1946 – April 29, 1997) was an American bass guitarist, best remembered as a member of the blues rock band, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, based in Austin, Texas. Ferguson received several awards for his musicianship.
In 1969 he joined "Sunnyland Special", a blues band with Angela Strehli and Lewis Cowdrey. They recorded a 45rpm single. In 1972 he joined "Black Kangaroo" with guitarist Peter Kaukonen, and toured with them. In 1974 he played in the "Nightcrawlers" together with Stevie Ray Vaughan. Keith also played with Rocky Hill at that time.
In 1976, Ferguson joined The Fabulous Thunderbirds, along with vocalists Lou Ann Barton and Kim Wilson and guitarist Jimmie Vaughan. (Barton left soon after the group began.) The band had an initial large local following, but was unable to maintain a sustained following with commercially positive results. More than five years of being dropped by small and large record labels, with Chrysalis Records being the last in their initial period to drop the band, there was a hiatus of several years, during which time a re-shuffling of band members began to take place, and Ferguson was one of the first to leave.
Ferguson went on to become a member of the Tailgators along with Don Leady and Gary "Mudcat" Smith.
After leaving the Tailgators, Ferguson freelanced with a number of Austin blues bands on the 6 Street blues circuit and played with the Excellos and the Solid Senders.
In 2014, a biography was written by author Detlef Schmidt: Keith Ferguson: Texas Blues Bass.
With the Fabulous Thunderbirds
- 1979 Girls Go Wild
- 1980 What's the Word
- 1981 Butt Rockin'
- 1982 T-Bird Rhythm
- 2003 Thunderbirds Tacos Deluxe
With the Tailgators
With other artists
- 1983 Havana Moon with Carlos Santana
- 1983 Check This Action with LeRoi Brothers
- 1994 Let The Dogs Run with Mike Morgan and Jim Suhler
- 1997: Austin Music Hall of Fame Inductee
- 1985: Austin Music Awards, Best Bass Guitar
- "Keith Ferguson, Legendary Austin Music Bassist". Travel Austin Texas. 2011. Retrieved March 20, 2012.
- Texas Monthly – 10, 1985, p. 203, "Although the Fabulous T-Birds' original bassist Keith Ferguson left the fold last year, the tattooed, chinoed musician has been anything but inactive in the interim. Ferguson— who has always favored a fuzzy, pervasive bottom- blanketing rather .."
- "rock 'n' roll 'till the cows come home – direct from Austin, Texas, with Don Leady – Home". Thetailgators.com. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "Keith Ferguson: An Inventory of His Papers, 1951-2008, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library". Lib.utexas.edu.
- "FERGUSON, KEITH - The Handbook of Texas Online- Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)". Tshaonline.org. July 15, 2014.