Keith Johnson (author)
|Born||Robert Keith Johnson|
14 October 1938
Darlington, United Kingdom
|Occupation||Author of books and software, teacher|
|Alma mater||University of Manchester|
|Notable works||Physics for You|
Robert Keith Johnson (born 14 October 1938), known as Keith Johnson, is a writer and software developer. While working as a science teacher he published his first work, starting his career as an author. He left classroom education in 1990 to develop software to support teachers, and to promote physics through the writing of textbooks and associated materials.
Johnson attended Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Darlington (later Queen Elizabeth Sixth Form College) from 1950 to 1957, before going on to read Physics at the University of Manchester. From there, he taught at Urmston Grammar School and Wilbraham High School, where he was Physics teacher, Head of Physics, Deputy Head, Timetabler, and Acting Headteacher. In 1980 Johnson was appointed District Inspector for Science for Manchester City Council Education Committee, with special responsibility for promoting science in Primary Schools. In 1990 he left this post to pursue his career as a full-time author of physics textbooks.
Johnson has developed software to support teachers in Secondary Schools in the UK and across the world, including TimeTabler  which is a program to help timetablers to schedule their school timetables, Options, StaffCover  and Lesson Loader.
He is an expert on Readability, especially of school text books, and has written articles on this subject for the School Science Review, a journal of The Association for Science Education, and other publications. which has been cited by 52 scholarly articles.
Keith Johnson married his wife Ann, an artist, in 1962. They have 2 children and 3 grandchildren.
He is a committed Francophile who divides his time between his homes in France and England. He has written about the French Pyrenees and contributed to the book 'Corsavy – Paysages & Visages'.
- "Oxford University Books". 2017. Oxford University Press (OUP).
- "ISBN Database". Archived from the original on 17 July 2013. ISBN Book Database
- "Keith Johnson books on Amazon". Amazon.com
- "Amazon Author Central". Keith Johnson at Amazon Author Central.
- School Science Review, Vol 68, No. 245, 789–790
- "Reviews of Keith Johnson's Books". Keith Johnson.
- Times Educational Supplement, 'Teacher', 29 April 2005, p15
- "Edexcel Syllabus" (PDF).
- "Pearson Qualifications" (PDF).
- "Keith Johnson's writing; case study at physics.org". www.physics.org
- "Review Centre; Student in Nigeria".
- "Software comments & testimonials". from around the world
- "TimeTabler software".
- Haigh, Gerald. "Class 3F? For three hours? First thing Monday?". 12 May 2008. TSL Education Ltd.
- "Options software".
- "StaffCover software".
- "Lesson-Loader software". free for teachers
- "Lesson-Loader review". Software Informer, 27 March 2013
- Association for Science Education : School Science Review, Vol 87, 2005, No 318, 126
- "Films by Keith Johnson". synopsis and judges' comments
- "British Film Institute entry". Work – 186608, British Film Institute
- "BFI 'Green Cloud' entry". Archived from the original on 12 January 2014. Green Cloud, director: R K Johnson
- "Readability methods".
- "Readability of Secondary School textbooks".
- "Readability of textbooks" (PDF).
- Association for Science Education : School Science Review, Vol 82, 2001, No 300, 75
- "School Science Review Article". School Science Review. SSR Vol 60, No. 212, 1979, 562
- International Journal of Science Education, Vol 9, 1987, 4, 483
- Science Learning, Science Teaching: Wellington & Ireson: Routledge 2008, ISBN 9780415433938, p244
- "Education Resources". Institute of Education Sciences
- "Scholarly Citations".scholar.google.co.uk
- "About Keith Johnson".
- "Corsavy, French Pyrenees". A history of Corsavy
- "Corsavy down the Ages" (PDF).
- "Corsavy – Paysages & Visages". Les Cahiers de l'Egaré. Grosse Jean-Claude, Patot André, Johnson Keith, 2006. ISBN 2-908387-92-1