This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Known for||Abstract Art|
|Notable work||Morantarctica, Music when soft voices die, Elysium, Folk Music|
|Awards||Montana national art award, Premio alla Carriera, The Manifestation of the Spiritual in Art, Della Critica, Medaglia del Presidente della Repubblica|
Life and work
Born in England, Morant worked and exhibited in London until 1973 when he moved to New Zealand and settled in Christchurch. He has drawn and painted obsessively for as long as he can remember and, while classically trained, has always followed his own path of individual expression.
In 1985 he was awarded the New Zealand Montana National Art Award. However, while he is a Nationalized ‘Kiwi’ and full-time painter, he does not classify himself as a ‘local’ or ‘regional’ artist.
Since the 1980s he has exhibited extensively on the international stage, holding shows in New York, Miami, Toronto, London, Tokyo, Beijing, Melbourne, Istanbul, Valencia, Italy and lately Madrid. He has won many International awards. These included the 2007 Florence Biennale Lorenzo Il Magnifico Award. ‘Premio alla Carriera (Lifetime Achievement in Art), the 2008 the ‘Premio Ercole D’Este della Critica (Critics Choice) award and in 2009 he was honoured at the Premio San Valentino International Art Exhibition with first prize, ‘President of the Republic’s Medal’(Italy).
2010 and 2011 saw him honoured with awards for services to art in Ferrara, Italy. In 2013 he received with The `Peoples Choice Award` at an International exhibition held in Bologna and a special citation from the Vajra art project in Nepal.
In 2014 Morant exhibited in Bologna again and held a solo show at Materia Grigia gallery in Venice. In New Zealand he held a special solo show at Eastside gallery of seventy new works in celebration of his seventieth birthday.
Morant is currently exhibiting in U.S.A., Italy, Spain, Canada, Poland, Nepal and Australia.
In his statement on art Morant says: “My art is always a journey of discovery into the essence of being. It is an effort to externalise the truth of my own existence on as many levels as possible and communicate a greater awareness of the quality of life. It is an attempt to generate enquiry into the greater spheres of understanding which lie beyond conventionalised intellection. It is my wish that my own work, while initially seen only by the eye, will eventually be perceived by mind, and thus become conducive to some small expansion of human conscious awareness. Art is always an answer awaiting its question”.
2015: Certificate Of Excellence Award. Manhattan Arts International, New York. Exhibition 'Hot Topics'.
2015: Monetary Award. Manhattan International Art, New York. Exhibition "The Healing Power Of Art'.
2014/5: Palm Award. International art. Leipzig, Germany.
2013: Honorary plaque and citation from the Vajra Art Project, Kathmandu, Tibet.
2011: Trevisan Special Award for services to art. Castle Estense, Ferrara, Italy.
2010: Peoples Choice award at 'Little Treasures' Trevisan International Art, Bologna Italy.
- Premio San Valentino International art exhibition, (Taranto, Puglia) Southern Italy. First Prize. 'Medaglia del Presidente della Repubblica' (The President of the Republic's Medal).
2008: Exhibition: Trevisan International Art 'Traces of Memory', Estense Castle, Ferrara, Italy.
- Award: "Premio Ercole D'Este della Critica Award" (Critics Choice)
- 2008 Exhibition of International Art, 'San Valentino' Vico del Garno, Italy.
Award: "Premio Internazionale"
- Biennale Internazionale Dell'Arte Contemporanea, Florence, Italy.
- Award:"Lorenzo il Magnifico, Premio alla Carriera" for 'Lifetime Achievement in Art'
- 2007: Award from Trevisan International Art. Exhibition 'The Spirit In Art', Estense Castle, Ferrara, Italy.
Award: "Manifestation Of The Spirit In Art"
Montana Lindauer Art Award (11th), New Zealand. Source: Herald (Gisborne, N.Z.), 1 May 1985, p1; Auckland star (Auckland, New Zealand. 1 May 1985, B7; New Zealand herald (Auckland, N.Z.), 2 May 1985, p 20
- 'Art Notes' (The Psychology of Creativity) published by World Art Media, New York Arts Magazine Vols 11-3/4, 11-5/6, 2006
- Interview with Yilmaz Zenger. NY Arts Magazine Vol 11-9/10 2006
- Music For Manhattan reviewed by Simone Cappa, NY Arts vol 1/2 2007
- Review 'Contemporary Hieroglyphics' by Jill Smith. NY Arts Magazine. 2008
- ‘Premiato a Ferrara e a Firenze’ Article in ‘Art Journal’. Italy. 2008