United Kingdom political career
Whitmore was first elected to Manchester City Council in May 1979 and remained a member until May 2012. From 1988 to 1997 he was leader of the Manchester Liberal Democrat Group of Councillors. He represented the Levenshulme ward.
From 1992 to 1998 he was a director of Manchester Airport, and for some years he was Deputy Chairman of the Greater Manchester Integrated Transport Authority (GMITA) and a Director of Greater Manchester Accessible Transport and the Manchester Museum of Transport. In 2009 he became Chairman of the GMITA and was the first Manchester councillor to hold that position. The Authority was merged into the Greater Manchester Combined Authority in 2011.
Council of Europe
Whitmore became a member of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe in 1996. He was elected President of the Congress on 26 October 2010. Other offices he had previously held included Chairman of the Institutional Committee of the Congress, Vice-President of the Congress, Chairman of the Congress's Sustainable Development Committee and Head of the UK delegation to the Congress.
He has also been a director of the Manchester Tramway Company Ltd since 1990, of the Royal Exchange Theatre Company Ltd since 1995, of the People's History Museum (formerly the National Museum of Labour History, Manchester), since 2002, and of the Bahamas Locomotive Society Ltd of Wakefield since 2012.
- Manchester Council election, 1979
- Manchester Council election, 1982
- Manchester Council election, 1986
- Manchester Council election, 1990
- Manchester Council election, 1994
- Manchester Council election, 1998
- Manchester Council election, 2002
- Manchester Council election, 2004
- Manchester Council election, 2008
- "Biography: Keith Whitmore". Council of Europe. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- 'Councillor disillusioned with the Liberal Democrats' in South Manchester Reporter dated 1 December 2011
- "Councillor Keith Whitmore". Manchester City Council. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- Keith Arthur Whitmore profile at endole.co.uk, accessed 25 April 2015
- Early Day Motion 1789 at parliament.uk, accessed 25 April 2015
- "Mr Keith Whitmore, President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities". Council of Europe. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- "Independent and Liberal Democrat Group : 89 members". Council of Europe. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- Charlotte Cox, On track to build new £66k tram depot in Heaton Park dated 8 August 2013, accessed 25 April 2015
- Dale Haslam, A pair of mayors are all smiles at the controls in Heaton Park dated 13 April 2015 at prestwichandwhitefieldguide.co.uk, accessed 25 April 2015