||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||Jocelyne Tracy Keko|
3 June 1987 |
Keko (born Jocelyne Tracey Keko) is a Ugandan rapper who has taken over the music scene in Africa during 2011. Her rise to fame began in 2010 with the release of 'fallen heroes' which she appeared alongside other established Ugandan artists like Don MC,SP,DAVIS and also the mwanba children choir. After spitting arguably the best verse on the track Keko began to turn heads with her lyrics, delivery and presence on tracks. Her break through single 'How we do it' took the Ugandan charts and MTV Africa and Channel O by storm making her an instant household name in East Africa. The success of the track has even led to an endorsement deal with Pepsi and saw her lead Mountain Dew's advertising campaign in E. Africa as well as ad campaigns for supersport television Africa's premier sports broadcaster. She has performed all over Africa from Selam festival in Ethiopia to Big brother Africa numerous times in South Africa.
Keko was born to Japadhola parents from Tororo, the self-proclaimed queen of rap started out as a radio Dj on government owned radio 94.8 vision voice (now X-fm) as a music panelist during her college years but moved onto show host on X-fm where she had a loyal fan base tuning in every evening to listen to her Request show TXR 3 hours a day. She left radio to focus on recording music and signed a recording contract with Sony music entertainment.
Keko has collaborated with Uganda's elite such as Juliana and more. The release of much acclaimed track 'Go Green' with Angela Katatumba further cemented her place as the most talented new artist from Africa because it showed her ability and versatility to tackle important subject matter such as climate awareness.
She has performed all over Africa from the annual Selam Festival in Ethiopia alongside hand picked international artists from around the world to 2015 Namibian Music Awards in Swakopmund. Her buzz and success in a short period of time also led to an invitation to join the cream of the crop of African artists to perform at the Channel O awards in South Africa, East African music awards in Nairobi, Amahoro stadium in Kigali Rwanda and on numerous occasions at the Big Brother Africa evictions and Finale in South Africa all stand out performances. She scored a guest judge role for Nokia don't break the beat a popular hip hop talent search show in East Africa.
Her follow-up to 'How we do it' entitled 'Alwoo (cry for help) caused massive waves because it addressed issues of domestic violence, struggle, success and triumph which are common talking points all over Africa. Throughout all of Africa the Ugandan native has been a revelation to hip hop with her lyrical prowess, attitude and consistency on tracks, so much so every media publication has dubbed her 'the next big thing' and sky is the limit for the rising star that is Keko. Keko got the attention of CNN that featured her on their premier African voices show in 2016. She then went on to release her debut album (Strides) in September 2016 with Sony music entertainment (RCA records). In February 2017 Keko is taking on a new frontier with a slot on Television with her own talk show dubbed Keko Town live, for this trail blazer the future gets brighter and brighter.
Awards and Nominations
- 2011: Pearl of Africa music award winner for best hip hop act.
- 2011 Buzz Awards: Best Female, Best Upcoming Artist (How We Do It)
- 2011, 2012, 2013, : Buzz Award winner Best female Artist.
- 2011: Buzz teens choice award for break out Artist.
- 2011 : Channel O Award winner most gifted East African video (how we do).
- 2011 : East African music award for most promising female act.
- 2011 : Diva Award for Best hip hop act.
- 2011 : Young achievers award winner for excellence in music.
- 2013 HiPipo Music Awards: Best Hip-Hop Song, Video of the Year (Make You Dance)
- 2016 Uganda Hip Hop Awards
- Female Artist of the year - Mix tape of the year - Collaboration of the year
- 2016 Love from Venus (mixtape)
- 2015 P. A. R. A. N. O. I. D (mixtape)
- Fly solo
- See ya
- let me go
- ''In The Streets''(2012)
- ''Make You Dance''(2012): ft. Madtraxx
- "Akello" (2011)
- "Black" (2011)
- "Hey Hey" (2011)
- "How We Do It" (2011)
- "Alwoo (Cry For Help)" (2010)
- "In The Air" (2011): Angella Katatumba ft. Keko
- "Shades" (2011): Play ft. Keko
- "Go Green" (2011): Angella Katatumba ft. Keko
- "Hustlers Night" (2010): Enygma ft. Keko, Navio & The Mith
- "Fallen Heroes" (2010): Don MC ft. Keko, Davis, SP Omugunjule & Mwamba Children's
- "Kwekunya (remix)" (2010): Vampino ft. Keko,Cindy & Juliana
Going a round m.soundcloud.com/#/keko-p-a-r-a…