Sigapiachi Convention Centre
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Kelambakkam is a rapidly growing suburban and residential locality of south-east of Chennai metropolitan city. It is located along OMR road, and is just 5 km from Siruseri IT park and 12 km from Sholinganalur junction. It is another important junction after Sholinganalur which connects GST road (Vandalur) and ECR road (Kovalam). Kelambakkam is considered as the Southern Gateway to Chennai in OMR road. It is taluk of Thiruporur of Kanchipuram District. The famous Old Mahabalipuram Road passes through the town. It is a semi-urban area and has potential to become part of Chennai in next few years. The famous Covelong Beach is near to kelambakkam. Politically, the locality comes under the Thiruporur assembly constituency and Kanchipuram loksabha constituency.
The total population of Kelambakkam is around 20,000. Number of families living in Kelambakkam is more than 5,000. The literacy rate of this locality is 90.88%. The sex ratio in Kelambakkam is 1,018. More families are migrating to Kelambakkam, due to huge development and easy accessibility to all parts of Chennai city.
- Velammal International School
- BILLABONG High International School- Both CBSE AND IGCSE Curriculum.
- Sushil Hari International School(Senior Secondary School)
- Jagnath Vidhyalaya CBSE school(Senior Secondary School)
- St.Francis De Sales School(ICBSE syllabus)
- BKM Matriculation Hr. Sec. School
- KIDZEE School(Asia Largest preschool chain)
- Little Millenium school
- i2Global school
- Government Hr. Sec. school
Colleges nearby Kelambakkam
- IIT Madras Research campus- Ocean Engineering department of IITM will be moved to NTCPWC by March 2019(State government has given 160 acres of land in Thaiyur)
- IIIT Design & Manufacturing
- Hindustan University
- SSN University
- Dhanapalan College of Arts & Science
- SMK Fomra Institute of Technology
- Anand Institute of Technology
- PSB polytechnic college
- VIT University
- Tagore Medical college and Hospital
- Chettinad Super Speciality Hospital (100 acre campus).
- Priya Diagnostic & Scan Centre(Near Sai Baba temple)
- Swaram Hospital
- LISTER METROPOLIS lab(Opp to AP Super market)
- JAYA clinic- Gynaecology specialist Hospital(Dr. Prema Jeyaprasad M.D.)- Opposite to Kelambakkam Police station
- Child specialist clinic(Dr.Rengaswamy M.D.)
- APOLLO Diagnostics
- Supreme Hospitals
Temples around Kelambakkam
- Veera Anjaneyar Temple, Pudupakkam
- Nithiya kalyana Perumal Temple, Thiruvidanthai(one of the 108 Divyadesas of Lord Perumal)
- Thiruporur Murugan Temple(built 450 years ago)
- Chengammal Sivan Temple
- Mareeswarar Temple(Thaiyur)
- Sai Baba Temple
- Kelambakkam Post Office
- BSNL Office
- Kelambakkam Police Station
- TN EB power station and EB Office
- Kelambakkam MTC Bus Depot
- Government Primary health center
Due to rapid development, Kelambakkam has changed a lot in terms of Commercial sectors over the past few years. The following commercial offices has established in Kelambakkam.
- Banks like HDFC, ICICI, AXIS, SBI, IOB, TMB, KVB, Central bank of India, Indian Bank, Canara Bank has come up in Kelambakkam.
- Automobile showrooms like ROYAL Enfield, Yamaha, TVS, Hero, Honda was available in Kelambakkam.
- Petrol like Shell, Indian Oil, HP are in Kelambakkam.
- Other Commercial developments like Sathya Electronics showroom, Longlive Pizza, Bata showroom, lenskart.com, Sri Gupta Bhavan sweet shop, Mobile stores like Univercell, Poorvika, Saloons like Naturals, Ace, Greentrends,Black & White are in Kelambakkam.
- Apart from branded stores, Kelambakkam has a huge vegetable and fish market where we can purchase them at very affordable price.
Due to huge development, good water availability and easy accessibility to all parts of Chennai, lot of apartments and villas has came up in Kelambakkam and they are below. Also, Kelambakkam has witnessed lot of family migration in past few years. Proximity to employment opportunities, good asset appreciation, good road Infrastructure, proximity to beaches at ECR and other entertainment venues continues to attract more residents to this suburb.
- Akshaya Today
- Jasmine Springs-Alliance Group
- Akshaya January
- PBEL City
- Vijay Shanthi(Lotus Pond)
- Shoba Meritta
- Shantiniketan Vega
- Advaita Blossom
- Jains Inseli Park
- Alliance Humming Gardens
- Vijaya Raja
- Hiranandani Residential Plots(Loftline)
Kelambakkam is well connected to almost all important destinations in Chennai city like T.Nagar, CMBT, Broadway, Central Railway station, Tambaram through frequent MTC bus services. New bus depot for Kelambakkam(Thaiyur) is under process for MTC bus shelter. Also, Tamil Nadu government is constructing Biggest Bus Terminus (88 acres) at cost of Rs 321 crore in Vandalur which takes just 20 minutes to reach through Vandalur-Kelambakkam road. This bus terminus will be largest bus terminus in Asia.
Metro Train project- Phase 2 is under process which connects Madhavaram with Siruseri IT park(deadline to complete this Corridor-3 by 2025). Once Metro train is operational, it will be game changer for overall development in OMR road.
Shopping and entertainment
Shopping malls like VIVIRA mall with AGS cinema multiplex and Grand Marina mall with INOX cinema multiplex are operational in Navalur and Siruseri. Wonderla Theme park is under construction in Thiruporur area.
- "Election Results 2016 - Thiruporur Assembly Constituency (Tamil Nadu)". Elections.in. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- "Kelambakkam Census Report - 2011". Census India. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kelambakkam.|