Sigapiachi Convention Centre
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Kelambakkam is a suburban and residential neighbourhood of Chennai, India. It is located in the south-eastern portion of the city along the Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR), and is about 5 km from Siruseri IT park and 12 km from Sholinganallur junction. It is another important junction after Sholinganalur, which connects GST road (Vandalur) and ECR road (Kovalam). Kelambakkam is considered as The Southern Gateway to Chennai city in OMR Road and comes under Zone-2(Sholinganalur to Kelambakkam stretch) of OMR Road. Kelambakkam has Excellent location advantage of following accessibility within 5 km radius- Shopping mall(The Marina mall), INOX multiplex theatre, SSN and Hindustan Universities, International schools, MTC Bus Depot and Chennai Metro Train Depot(Siruseri IT Park).
The total population of Kelambakkam is around 20,000 and expected to be doubled by 2021. The literacy rate of this locality is 90.88%. The sex ratio in Kelambakkam is 1,018. More families are migrating to Kelambakkam, due to huge development and easy accessibility to all parts of Chennai city.
Schools in Kelambakkam
- Sushil Hari International Residential School
- Velammal New Gen CBSE School
- Jagannath Vidyalaya CBSE School
- Billabong High International School
- Buvana Krishnan Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- St Mary's Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- ILANTHALIR Kids Zone Preschool
- KIDZEE Kelambakkam Play, Nursery School
- Government Higher Secondary School
Colleges nearby Kelambakkam
- IIT Madras Research campus- Ocean Engineering department of IITM will be moved to NTCPWC by March 2019 (State government has given 160 acres of land in Thaiyur)
- IIIT Design & Manufacturing
- Chettinad Academy of Research & Education (Deemed to be university under section 3 of the UGC Act)
- Chettinad college of Nursing
- Chettinad Hospital and Research Institute
- Hindustan University
- SSN University
- Dhanapalan College of Arts & Science
- SMK Fomra Institute of Technology
- Anand Institute of Technology
- PSB polytechnic college
- VIT University
- Tagore Medical college and Hospital
- Chettinad Super Speciality Hospital (100-acre campus)
- Praveena Hospital, Vandalur Road, Kelambakkam
- Swaram Hospital
- Supreme Hospitals
- Apollo Diagnostics
- Post Office
- Kelambakkam Police Station
- MTC Bus Depot
- BSNL Office
- TNEB Power Station and EB Office
- Government Primary Health centre
Temples around Kelambakkam
- Sai Baba Temple, Kelambakkam
- Poorana Brahmam Temple, Sri RamaRajya Campus, Vandalur Road, Kelambakkam
- Sri Ashta Dasa Buja Durga Lakshmi Saraswathi Temple, Sri RamaRajya Campus, Vandalur Road, Kelambakkam
- Sri Karpaga Vinayakar Temple, Ganeshpuri, Sri RamaRajya Campus, Kelambakkam
- Veera Anjaneyar Temple, Pudupakkam
- Nithyakalyana Perumal temple, Thiruvidanthai (one of the 108 Divyadesas of Lord Perumal)
- Thiruporur Murugan Temple (built 450 years ago)
- Chengammal Sivan Temple
- Mareeswarar Temple (Thaiyur)
- Mosque(one of the biggest mosque in OMR road).
Due to rapid development, good water availability and easy accessibility to all parts of Chennai, lot of apartments and villas has came up in Kelambakkam and they are below. Also, Kelambakkam has witnessed lot of family migration in past few years. Proximity to employment opportunities, good asset appreciation, good road Infrastructure, proximity to beaches at ECR and other entertainment venues continues to attract more residents to this suburb.
- Alliance- Humming Gardens
- Advaita Blossom
- Akshaya Today
- Akshaya January
- Shanthiniketan Atlair
- Vijay Shanthi(Lotus Pond)
- PBEL city
- Shobha Merita
- Hiranandani Loftline(villa plots).
Kelambakkam has become another shopping destination like Navalur in OMR road. Following are the commercial establishments in Kelambakkam.
- Almost all Banks- State Bank of India, Indian Overseas Bank, KVB, Central bank of India, City Union Bank, Kotak Mahindra, HDFC, TMB, AXIS, ICICI banks.
- Automobile showrooms- YAMAHA, Royal Enfield, TVS, Hero, Honda.
- SATHYA electronics showroom
- Branded Salons- Naturals, Green Trends, Black & White
- Mobile stores- Poorvika, The Chennai mobiles, Univercell, Sangeetha.
- Restaurants- Rahman briyani, Madras briyani, Krishna veg hotel, Lebanon.
- Hotels- Southern Residency, Mermaid Resort
- Sweets shop- Sree Gupta Bhavan, FB Cake House.
- Long Live pizza restaurant
Apart from branded stores, Kelambakkam has a huge Vegetable and Fish markets where we can purchase them at affordable price.
Kelambakkam is well connected to almost all important destinations in Chennai city like T.Nagar, CMBT, Broadway, Central Railway station, Tambaram through frequent MTC bus services. New bus depot for Kelambakkam (Thaiyur) is under process for MTC bus shelter. On an average, MTC operates more than 400 services from Kelambakkam to all localities of Chennai city.
Also, Tamil Nadu government is constructing Biggest Bus Terminus (88 acres) at cost of Rs 410 crore in Vandalur which takes just 20 minutes to reach through Vandalur-Kelambakkam road. This bus terminus will be largest bus terminus in Asia and become operational from the year 2020.
Metro Train project- Phase 2 is under process which connects Madhavaram with Siruseri IT park(Deadline to be operational for this Corridor-3 by 2024). Once Metro train is operational, it will be game changer for overall development in OMR road.
Shopping and entertainment
Shopping malls like VIVIRA mall with AGS cinema multiplex and Grand Marina mall with INOX cinema multiplex are operational in Navalur and Siruseri. Wonderla Theme park is under construction in Thiruporur area.
- "Election Results 2016 - Thiruporur Assembly Constituency (Tamil Nadu)". Elections.in. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- "Kelambakkam Census Report - 2011". Census India. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kelambakkam.|