|Idaho State Senator|
|Assumed office |
July 2, 2015
|Preceded by||Dean Cameron|
|Constituency||27th district (2015–present)|
|Born||August 4, 1974|
Burley, Idaho, U.S.
|Alma mater||Brigham Young University|
University of Idaho
|Occupation||Attorney and City Administrator|
Early life and education
Anthon was born in Burley, Idaho. He was raised on a family farm near Declo, Idaho, attending public schools in Declo and graduating from Declo High School in 1992. He served as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Japan, and later graduated from Brigham Young University with a Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology in 1998 and from the University of Idaho College of Law in 2002.
Upon passing the Idaho bar, he worked as an attorney in private practice in Idaho's Mini-Cassia Area. In 2003 was appointed city attorney for Rupert, Minidoka, and Acequia. He also served as the City Attorney and Prosecutor for the City of Burley. In 2012, Anthon was hired as Rupert City Administrator.
When 24-year incumbent Senator Dean Cameron resigned his seat for an appointment as the director of the Department of Insurance, the Legislative District 27 Republican Central Committee met to fill the vacancy in the Senate seat, sending three names in order of preference to Governor Butch Otter: Anthon, Doug Pickett of Oakley, and Wayne Hurst of Declo. Governor Otter appointed Anthon to serve the remainder of Cameron's term. Anthon was subsequently elected in 2016 and reelected in 2018.
Idaho's Republican Senators (the "Majority Caucus"), elected Anthon in 2017 as the Majority Caucus Chairman—one of four Republican leadership positions in the Idaho State Senate.
- State Affairs Committee
- Judiciary and Rules Committee
- Local Government and Taxation Committee
Anthon previously served on the Education Committee in 2016; he also served on the Commerce Committee and the Health and Welfare Committees in 2017.
|2016 Primary||Kelly Anthon (incumbent)||4,679||100%|
|2016 General||Kelly Anthon (incumbent)||13,259||100%|
- Davlin, Melissa (July 2, 2015). "Kelly Anthon appointed Dist. 27 state senator". Idaho Public Television. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- Taggart, Steve (July 12, 2015). "Idaho's Newest State Senator: Kelly Anthon". Idaho Politics Weekly. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- Denney, Lawerence. "May 17, 2016 Primary Election Results: Legislative Totals". Boise, Idaho: Secretary of State of Idaho. Archived from the original on December 20, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- Denney, Lawerence. "Nov 8, 2016 General Election Results: Legislative Totals". Boise, Idaho: Secretary of State of Idaho. Archived from the original on December 21, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "Kelly Anthon's Biography". Project VoteSmart. Retrieved November 1, 2016.