|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Occupation||Writer, blogger, Twitter personality|
Kelly Oxford is a Canadian author and screenwriter.
In 1996, Oxford dropped out of Mount Royal University after one semester. She started blogging as a means of daily productivity and self-publishing. She later worked as a waitress and at a shoe store.
In 2001, Oxford became a full-time stay-at-home mother and began focusing on her online writing and scriptwriting. She started an anonymous blog in 2002, joined Twitter in 2009, and gained a large following, eventually attracting the attention of celebrities including Diablo Cody and Roger Ebert and being contacted by a number of agents. She sold a television script to CBS, to be executive produced by Jessica Alba, based on her life as a mother in Calgary. She then wrote another pilot that was bought by NBC. Neither script has been produced. Oxford moved to Los Angeles in 2012.
Following the release of the Donald Trump and Billy Bush recording during the 2016 presidential election, Oxford tweeted a request for women to "tweet me your first assaults", using the hashtag #notokay, and within days received 27 million views and responses. The response was so large that it received coverage by The New York Times and other media. The #notokay campaign was a precursor to the #metoo hashtag which ignited the Me Too movement in October 2017, with both movements focused on solidarity among victims of sexual abuse.
On April 18, 2017, Oxford released her second book, When You Find Out the World is Against You: And Other Funny Memories About Awful Moments. While appearing on Jimmy Kimmel Live! as part of the book's launch, she revealed that it was during a kitchen table conversation with Kimmel and his head writer (and wife) McNearney that the segment "Mean Tweets" originated, after she and Kimmel read cruel tweets to each other in a humorous way, trying to outdo each other.
Oxford and her husband James were together for 18 years until separating in late 2016.
- (2013) Everything Is Perfect When You're a Liar (paperback edition 2014, ISBN 978-0062102232)
- (2017) When You Find Out the World is Against You: And Other Funny Memories About Awful Moments (hardcover, ISBN 978-0062322777)
- "The 140 Best Twitter Feeds of 2011". Time Magazine. March 28, 2011. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- Sperling, Nicole (June 19, 2012). "Twitter sensation Kelly Oxford hooks Hollywood". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "How Calgary mom Kelly Oxford tweeted her way to Hollywood". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- Hoby, Hermione (May 11, 2013). "Twitter's first star". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- "Candidly Nicole Full Cast & Crew". IMDB.
- Mahler, Jonathan (October 11, 2016). "For Many Women, Trump's 'Locker Room Talk' Brings Memories of Abuse". The New York Times. New York. Retrieved October 11, 2016.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2016-02-19). "Kelly Oxford & Molly McNearney To Create & Star In Semi-Autobiographical Comedy For TV Land". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- Oxford, Kelly (April 18, 2017). When You Find Out the World Is Against You: And Other Funny Memories About Awful Moments. Place of publication not identified: Dey Street Books. ISBN 9780062322777.
- Jimmy Kimmel Live! April 11, 2017. ABC.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (2017-03-23). "James Franco, Seth Rogen Developing '90s Teen Drama at Hulu From Writer Kelly Oxford (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Instagram post by @kellyoxford • Jan 13, 2017 at 10:52 pm UTC". Instagram. Retrieved 2017-02-16.