November 6, 1968 |
Elizabethtown, Kentucky, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Carlos Tarajano (m. 2001; div. 2002)
Daniel Giersch (m. 2006; div. 2010)
Kelly Rutherford (born November 6, 1968) is an American actress. She is known for her television roles as Stephanie "Sam" Whitmore on the NBC daytime soap opera Generations (1989–91), as Megan Lewis on the Fox primetime soap opera Melrose Place (1996–99), and as Lily van der Woodsen on The CW series Gossip Girl (2007–12).
Early life and education
Rutherford was born in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, on November 6, 1968, daughter of Ann Edwards. She has a brother named Anthony. Rutherford attended Corona del Mar High School in Newport Beach, California. She later studied at HB Studio in New York City, and the Beverly Hills Playhouse in California.
Rutherford began her career on daytime soap operas. She appeared on Loving in 1987, and later was cast as a regular on Generations from 1989 to 1991. In 1992 she joined the cast of the ABC drama Homefront.
From 1993 to 1994, Rutherford was a regular on the Fox series The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. as Dixie Cousins, a saloon singer and con artist who has a brief romantic encounter with Brisco. In later episodes, Dixie becomes Brisco's primary love interest.
She also appeared in the film I Love Trouble. She also starred in the short-lived series The Great Defender as Frankie Collet (1995), and in Kindred: The Embraced as Caitlin Byrne (1996). In 1996, Rutherford joined the cast of Fox primetime soap opera Melrose Place, as Megan Lewis. She starred on the show until 1999.
She also starred as Christine Hamilton in the horror film Scream 3 (2000). From 2003 to 2004, she starred in the ABC drama Threat Matrix as Special Agent Frankie Ellroy Kilmer. In next television season she starred in another short-lived series, E-Ring, on NBC. In 2007, Rutherford began starring as Lily Humphrey in the CW series Gossip Girl. The series ended in 2012. Rutherford has also starred in a number of Lifetime movies. In 2016, Rutherford was cast in the ABC thriller Quantico playing the recurring role of Laura Wyatt.
Rutherford married Venezuelan banker Carlos Tarajano in June 2001. Rutherford filed for divorce in January 2002, after six months of marriage. The wedding was featured shortly thereafter in the February 2002 issue of InStyle magazine.
Rutherford married her second husband, German businessman Daniel Giersch, in August 2006. She gave birth to their first child, son Hermés Gustaf Daniel Giersch, in October 2006. While pregnant with their second child, Rutherford filed for divorce from Giersch on December 30, 2008. Rutherford and Giersch subsequently became involved in a child custody dispute over their son and their unborn child. Rutherford gave birth to their second child, daughter Helena, in June 2009. Giersch stated he was not informed of the birth by Rutherford and became aware of it only through media reports. In August 2009, Rutherford and Giersch reached a temporary settlement of joint physical custody, in effect until April 2010. Rutherford also obtained a temporary restraining order against him the following month. Giersch's U.S. visa was revoked in April 2012, after Rutherford's lawyer informed the State Department about issues pertaining to Giersch's businesses, which led the Department to conclude that they had sufficient evidence to deport him. It has been reported that the allegations involved fraud or an involvement in drugs and weapons dealing in South America, considered terrorism under the Victory Act. Giersch consequently was unable to enter the United States and took up residence in France and Monaco. In May 2012, Rutherford and Giersch's children went to France to spend the summer with their father. Rutherford asked the court to grant her sole custody so that she could keep the children primarily in the United States following their visit to France, as the existing joint custody agreement required her to travel frequently to enable Giersch to spend time with the children. In August 2012, in a widely reported decision, a California Superior Court judge ruled that the 50/50 custody arrangement should remain and that, because Giersch is unable to travel to the United States, the children should live in France with him and attend school there, with Rutherford traveling there to visit them. Though Rutherford opposed the decision and requested a stay of proceedings while she appealed, her request was denied and it was ruled that, in two years, Giersch's eligibility to enter the United States and the consequent well-being of the children will be reassessed.
In June 2013, Rutherford filed for bankruptcy, stating she had debts of approximately $2 million, primarily due to the $1.5 million she spent on legal fees relating to the divorce and custody dispute with Giersch.
In May 2015, Rutherford was granted temporary sole custody of her children, following a ruling that both her son and daughter be brought back to the United States from Monaco, where they had been living with their father since 2012. On July 23, 2015, a California judge ruled that California did not have jurisdiction over Rutherford's child custody case because she resides in New York, and her ex-husband was again awarded custody. Rutherford then filed a case in New York but on July 27, 2015, the New York court ruled it also did not have jurisdiction.
In December 2015, the Monaco courts reconfirmed that full custody remained with the children's father, with Rutherford granted extensive visitation rights in France and Monaco as well as shared input regarding "health, schooling, religious education and any change of residence".
|1989||Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge||Salesgirl|
|1992||Breaking the Silence||Cheryl||Television film|
|1994||Tis a Gift to Be Simple||Emily Hanover||Short film|
|1994||I Love Trouble||Kim|
|1996||No Greater Love||Edwina Winfield||Television film|
|1996||Buried Secrets||Danielle Roff||Television film|
|1997||Six Months of Darkness, Six Months of Light||Annie||Short film|
|1997||Big Fall, TheThe Big Fall||Veronica||Direct-to-video|
|1997||Dilemma||Woman in bar||Uncredited|
|1998||Perfect Getaway, TheThe Perfect Getaway||Julia Robinson||Television film|
|1998||Disturbance at Dinner, TheThe Disturbance at Dinner||Marian Pronkridge|
|2000||Scream 3||Christine Hamilton|
|2000||Chaos Factor, TheThe Chaos Factor||Jodi|
|2001||Acceptable Risk||Kim Welles||Television film|
|2001||Tag, TheThe Tag||Wendy|
|2002||Angels Don't Sleep Here||Kate Porter|
|2002||Swimming Upstream||Sandra Bird|
|2007||Tell Me No Lies||Laura Cooper||Television film|
|2013||Sister's Nightmare, AA Sister's Nightmare||Jane Ryder||Television film|
|2013||Stream, TheThe Stream||Maggie Terry|
|2015||Night of the Wild||Sara||Television film|
|1989–91||Generations||Stephanie "Sam" Whitmore||Unknown episodes|
|1992||Davis Rules||Erika||2 episodes|
|1992–93||Homefront||Judy Owen||Main cast; 21 episodes|
|1992||Bodies of Evidence||Diana Wallace||Episode: "Afternoon Delights"|
|1992||Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures||N/A||Episode: "As the Dude Turns (The Lives That We Live)"|
|1993–94||Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., TheThe Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.||Dixie Cousins||7 episodes|
|1995||The Great Defender||Frankie Collett||Main cast; 8 episodes|
|1995||Courthouse||Christine Lunden||4 episodes|
|1996||Kindred: The Embraced||Caitlyn Byrne||Main cast; 7 episodes|
|1996–99||Melrose Place||Megan Lewis Mancini||Main cast (seasons 5–7); 90 episodes|
|1999–2000||Get Real||Laura Martineau||4 episodes|
|1999||Nash Bridges||Roxanne "Roxie" Hill||Episode: "Kill Switch"|
|2000||Sally Hemings: An American Scandal||Lady Maria Cosway||Miniseries|
|2000||Outer Limits, TheThe Outer Limits||Rachel||Episode: "Nest"|
|2000–01||Fugitive, TheThe Fugitive||Helen Kimble||3 episodes|
|2001||Night Visions||Marilyn Lanier||Episode: "The Passenger List"|
|2002–03||District, TheThe District||Deputy Mayor Melinda Lockhart||6 episodes|
|2003–04||Threat Matrix||Special Agent Frankie Ellroy-Kilmer||Main cast; 16 episodes|
|2005–06||E-Ring||Samantha "Sonny" Liston||Main cast; 21 episodes|
|2007–12||Gossip Girl||Lily van der Woodsen||Main cast; 96 episodes|
|2014||Bones||Stephanie McNamara||Episode: "The Ghost in the Killer"|
|2014||Being Mary Jane||Cynthia Phillips||Episode: "The Huxtables Have Fallen"|
|2014||Reckless||Joyce Reed||4 episodes|
|2015||Mysteries of Laura, TheThe Mysteries of Laura||Lisa Hanlon||Episode: "The Mystery of the Popped Pugilist"|
|2016||Quantico||Laura Wyatt||Recurring role|
|2016||Jane The Virgin||Editor||Chapter fifty|
|2017||Nightcap||Herself||Episode: "What Would Staci Do?"|
- The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946-Present. Ballantine Books. 2003. p. 766. ISBN 0-345-45542-8.
- "Kelly Rutherford". TVGuide.com. Archived from the original on December 17, 2015. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- "Gossip Girl Transformations - Kelly Rutherford". (slide 7 of 8) InStyle. Retrieved February 11, 2013.
- "Kelly Rutherford Biography (1968-)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- Marnell, Blair (2011-01-28). "Friday Flashback: 'The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.'". CraveOnline. CraveOnline Media, LLC.
- King, Susan (1994-04-12). "She's Got Starlet Allure, '40s-Style : Acting: Kelly Rutherford looks to old movies for inspiration. And many compare the 'Brisco County Jr.' star to a combination of Dietrich, Bacall and Mae West". The Los Angeles Times.
- "Gossip Girl TV show last episode | canceled + renewed TV shows". TV Series Finale. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- Roots, Kimberly (April 5, 2016). "Quantico's Kelly Rutherford: Shelby's Mom Faked Death 'To Protect Her'". TVline. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- Kuczynski, Alex (June 2, 2002). "The Curse Of the InStyle Wedding". The New York Times. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "Shortest Celebrity Marriages: Kelly Rutherford and Carlos Tarajano". Glamour. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Finn, Natalie (January 3, 2009). "Pregnant Gossip Girl Mom Kelly Rutherford Divorcing". E! Online. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Gee, Alison (October 18, 2006). "EXCLUSIVE: Melrose Place's Kelly Rutherford Has a Boy". People. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Lee, Ken (January 22, 2009). "Kelly Rutherford & Estranged Husband Testify in Custody Dispute". People. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Lee, Ken (June 9, 2009). "Kelly Rutherford's Husband: I Wasn't Notified of Daughter's Birth". People. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Lee, Ken (August 4, 2009). "Kelly Rutherford and Ex Reach Truce in Custody Battle". People. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Lee, Ken (September 24, 2009). "Kelly Rutherford Gets Restraining Order Against Husband". People. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Abrams, Dan (September 1, 2012). "Two American Kids Shipped to France in One of the Worst Custody Decisions. Ever". ABC News. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Boehm, Kristin; Coughlan, Maggie (August 29, 2012). "Kelly Rutherford, Daniel Giersch Ordered to Co-Parent in Monaco". People. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Silverman, Stephen (September 1, 2012). "Kelly Rutherford Vows to 'Never Stop Fighting for My Children'". People. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Coughlan, Maggie (June 23, 2013). "Kelly Rutherford Files for Bankruptcy". People. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Grinberg, Emanuella; Ford, Dana (May 25, 2015). "Kelly Rutherford granted temporary sole custody of her two children". CNN. United States. Turner Broadcasting System (Time Warner). Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- "Kelly Rutherford Taking Custody Battle to New York : People.com". People. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- "Kelly Rutherford loses in latest custody battle round". CBS News. 23 July 2015. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- Michele Corriston (July 27, 2015). "Kelly Rutherford Speaks to PEOPLE as New York Court Denies Custody Case: 'It's Just Incredible as an American Mom with America-Born Children'". People. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- Francesca Bacardi and Lindsay Good (July 27, 2015). "Kelly Rutherford's Custody Battle Won't Be Heard in a New York Court, Judge Rules There's No Jurisdiction". E! Online. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- Beard, Lanford; Corinthios, Aurelie (December 15, 2015). "Kelly Rutherford's Crushing Defeat as She's Banned from Bringing Kids to U.S.: 'She Only Has Herself to Blame,' Says Lawyer". People. Retrieved January 21, 2016.
- Rachel Mcgrath (December 29, 2015). "Kelly Rutherford's ex Daniel Giersch wins legal injunction in Germany 'to stop Vanity Fair printing false statements about him'". Mail Online. Associated Newspapers Ltd. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- "It's Sharknado...with dogs! Kelly Rutherford protects her family from cantankerous canines in new film Night Of The Wild". Daily Mail. 30 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kelly Rutherford.|