Herrera with the Kansas City Royals in 2012
|Kansas City Royals – No. 40|
December 31, 1989 |
Tenares, Hermanas Mirabal, Dominican Republic
|September 21, 2011, for the Kansas City Royals|
(through June 28, 2016)
|Earned run average||2.47|
|Career highlights and awards|
Kansas City Royals
Herrera was called up to the majors for the first time on September 21, 2011. He gave up three earned runs over two innings.
2012 was a breakout season for Herrera. He appeared in 76 games and posted a 2.35 ERA over 84 innings while compiling 77 strikeouts. On August 30, 2012, Herrera got his first career save.
Herrera took a bit of a step back in 2013 and spent part of the year in the minors. While pitching in the majors his ERA ballooned to 3.86 and he gave up nine home runs in 59 appearances.
In 2014 Herrera became the go-to seventh inning option for manager Ned Yost. Along with set-up man Wade Davis and closer Greg Holland, Herrera was part of one of the most prolific late inning trios in all of baseball. His ERA was 1.41, the best mark of his career, and he did not allow a home run during the entire regular season. He had his first professional at-bat in Game 3 of the World Series in San Francisco, when he struck out.
During a game against the Oakland Athletics on April 19, 2015, Herrera was ejected for throwing a pitch behind Brett Lawrie. One game prior to this incident, his teammate Yordano Ventura was also ejected for hitting Lawrie. On April 22, 2015, Herrera was suspended 5 games. Herrera decided to appeal the suspension. On April 25, 2015, Herrera was suspended an additional 2 games for his role in a brawl against the Chicago White Sox.
With an overhand delivery, Herrera throws extremely hard; his fastball averages about 98 mph and tops out at 103. He pairs his fastball with a deceptive changeup around 87–88 and an occasional curveball in the low-80s.
- Holt, Adam (June 23, 2011). "Kelvin Herrera, Wil Myers to represent Royals at Futures Game". MLB.com. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Hays, Matthew (September 21, 2011). "Kansas City Royals Designate Kila Ka`aihue For Assignment". SB Nation. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Kepner, Tyler (October 13, 2014) Bullpen Gives Royals Three Reasons to Believe. New York Times
- Cwik, Chris. "Herrera ejected for throwing at Lawrie, benches clear.". sports.yahoo.com. Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- McCollough, Andy. "Herrera suspended 5 games for throwing at Lawrie.". kansascity.com. The Kansas City Star. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- Flanagan, Jeffrey. "Herrera to appeal 5-game suspension.". MLB.com. MLB.com. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- "6 players suspended after Royals-Sox brawl. Herrera suspended 2 games.". MLB.com. MLB.com. Retrieved April 25, 2015.
- "PITCHf/x Player Card: Kelvin Herrera". BrooksBaseball.net. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kelvin Herrera.|