|The Very Reverend
|Provost of St Mary's Cathedral, Glasgow|
Holdsworth after his institution on 31 May 2006 outside St Mary's Cathedral.
(Photographer - Stewart D. Macfarlane)
|Church||Scottish Episcopal Church|
|Diocese||Diocese of Glasgow and Galloway|
|In office||31 May 2006 to present|
|Ordination||4 July 1997 (deacon)
9 June 1998 (priest)
21 October 1966 |
Leeds, Yorkshire, England
|Alma mater||Manchester Polytechnic
St Andrews University
Early life and education
Holdsworth was born on 21 October 1966 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England. He was educated at Bearsden Academy in Bearsden, Glasgow, Scotland, and Ossett School in Ossett, Yorkshire, England. He studied computing science and mathematics at Manchester Polytechnic, and graduated with a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in 1989. He then studied practical theology and Christian ethics at the University of St Andrews, graduating with a Bachelor of Divinity (BD) in 1992.
From 1992 to 1995, Holdsworth was a layman working with St Benet's Chaplaincy, the inter-denominational Christian chaplaincy of Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London. In 1995, he entered the Theological Institute of the Scottish Episcopal Church to train for ordination. During this time, he also studied at New College, Edinburgh, and graduated from the University of Edinburgh with a Master of Theology (MTh) degree in 1996.
Holdsworth was ordained in the Scottish Episcopal Church as a deacon on 4 July 1997 St Ninian's Cathedral, Perth. He was ordained as a priest on 9 June 1998. From 1997 to 2000, he served his curacy as the precentor of St Ninian's Cathedral.
From 2000 to 2006, Holdsworth was Rector of St Saviour's Church, Bridge of Allan, Stirling, in the Diocese of St Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane. During this time, he was also the Episcopal chaplain to the University of Stirling.
His appointment to St. Mary's Cathedral, Glasgow was announced simultaneously there and at St. Saviour's Church on Bridge of Allan on 5 February 2006. He was instituted at St. Mary's Cathedral on 31 May 2006, the Feast of the Visitation.
Holdsworth stood for the Parliament of the United Kingdom in the constituency of Stirling at the 2005 General Election as the Liberal Democrat candidate. He came third behind the Labour and Conservative Party candidates.
- "Holdsworth, Kelvin". Our Campaigns. 1 May 2005. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- "100 Things". What's in Kevin's Head?. 11 August 2007. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- "Kelvin Holdsworth". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 3 December 2015. (subscription required)
- "About". What's in Kevin's Head. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- "Church Times - Clerics at hustings". Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "Stirling Council; UK Elections 2005 Constituency Results". Archived from the original on December 3, 2008.
- "BBC News; Election 2005; Results; Stirling". Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "The IoS Pink List 2012". London: The Independent. 4 November 2012. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
|Anglican Communion titles|
|Rector and Provost of St. Mary's Cathedral, Glasgow
May 2006 – present
|This Scottish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|