Kelvin Yii Lee Wuen
Kelvin Yii Lee Wuen
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament|
for Bandar Kuching
|Assumed office |
10 May 2018
|Preceded by||Chong Chieng Jen (DAP–PR)|
Kelvin Yii Lee Wuen
31 August 1986
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
|Political party||Democratic Action Party (DAP)|
|Residence||Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia|
|Salary||RM16,000 per month|
Kelvin Yii Lee Wuen (Chinese: 俞利文; pinyin: Yū Lìwén; born 31 August 1986), is a Malaysian politician from the Democratic Action Party (DAP) currently a member of parliament (MP) of Malaysia representing Bandar Kuching constituency. Concurrently, he chairs the Health, Science and Innovation Select Committee and sits on the Budget Select Committee. Yii also serves as special assistant to Chong Chieng Jen, Stampin MP.
On 17 March 2020, Yii tested positive for COVID-19 and was quarantined at Sarawak General Hospital. He was suspected of having been infected with the virus after meeting Sarikei MP Wong Ling Biu who was also tested positive for the virus. He was announced to have recovered on 23 March 2020.
Between 2006 and 2011, Yii was enrolled at the Volgograd State Medical University in Volgograd, Russia and obtained a Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree. He was also 1st vice president of the university's Malaysian Chinese Students Community committee for the 2009/10 term.
In June 2016, Yii graduated from the University of London with a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) (LL.B. (Hons)). Upon receiving his LL.B., Yii then studied for a Master of Laws (LL.M.) in medical law at Northumbria University.
In September 2020, Yii completed a two-month online certification course in Business, International Relations and the Political Economy conducted by the London School of Economics and Political Science.
In April 2018, Yii was announced as DAP's candidate to contest for the Bandar Kuching parliamentary seat as one of the party's three new faces in the 14th Malaysian general election. He later went on to win the seat with a majority of almost 60% in May 2018. In the 18th Sarawak DAP state ordinary convention 2018, Yii was elected as assistant secretary for the term 2018 to 2020. In December 2018, Speaker of the House of Representatives of Malaysia Mohamad Ariff Md Yusof announced that Yii was to sit on the special select committee on budget, a newly-formed parliamentary select committee.
|2018||P195 Bandar Kuching, Sarawak||Kelvin Yii Lee Wuen (DAP)||48,548||79.43%||Kho Teck Wan (SUPP)||12,575||20.57%||61,483||35,973||75.11%|
- "P195 BANDAR KUCHING". Democratic Action Party. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "Six new select committees announced, Anwar heads reforms caucus". Malaysiakini. 4 December 2018. Retrieved 26 April 2019.
- "YB Dr Kelvin Yii Lee Wuen". Malaysian Medical Summit 2018. 2018. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "Bandar Kuching MP Kelvin Yii tests positive for Covid-19". Malaysiakini. 17 March 2020. Retrieved 17 March 2020.
- "Covid-19: Bandar Kuching MP recovers, thanks Health Dept for their professionalism". Bernama. 24 March 2020. Retrieved 11 May 2021.
- "Yii selected to attend YSEALI programme in USA". The Borneo Post. 20 April 2017. Retrieved 11 May 2021.
- Teng, Kok Liang (18 May 2009). "MCSC Committee List 2009/2010". Retrieved 11 May 2021.
- Yii, Kelvin Lee Wuen (11 May 2021). "#knowledgeispower #ImprovingSelf One of the values i treasure most since school is to always push myself, learn new things and be the best you can be for the benefit of those around you. So since i am in my current sphere, i always push myself to learn and upgrade so i can serve the people better in my role. Due to my schedule, i took up some short courses to expose me to fields I'm not familiar with before so i can have a more holistic understanding of policy-making in general. So this arrived in the mail after completing this particular course last year. I also always encourage different young people who i meet to never stop learning and always be best you can be for the good of your community". facebook.com. Retrieved 11 May 2021.
- Sahari, Malissa (24 April 2018). "Tiga muka baharu DAP Sarawak diumum" (in Malay). Astro Awani. Retrieved 11 May 2021.
- "LIVE: Keputusan PRU14" (in Malay). Sinar Harian. 9 May 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2021.
- "Chong Chieng Jen re-elected as S'wak DAP chairperson". Bernama. Malaysiakini. 4 November 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2021.
- "Special Select Committee on Budget holds first meeting". Bernama. New Straits Times. 29 January 2019. Retrieved 11 May 2021.
- Boo, Su-Lyn (13 January 2021). "DAP's Yii Elected Chair Of Parliament Committee On Health, Science". CodeBlue. Retrieved 11 May 2021.
- Lim, How Pin (14 January 2021). "Dr Yii: PSC on Health, Science and Innovation to scrutinise National Covid-19 Vaccination Strategy". =The Borneo Post]]. Retrieved 11 May 2021.