Kelvin dela Peña
Kelvin dela Peña (center) is named MVP and one of Mythical 5 members of the 2007 NCAA Season 83.
January 19, 1984 |
|Nationality||Filipino / Canadian|
|Listed height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Listed weight||175 lb (79 kg)|
|High school||Bishop McNally (Calgary, Alberta)|
|College||Mapúa Institute of Technology|
|PBA draft||2008 Round: 2 / Pick: 15th overall|
|Selected by the Alaska Aces|
|Position||Point guard / Shooting guard|
|2011–2012||San Miguel Beermen|
|2013–2015||Calgary Crush (ABA)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Kelvin Charles Chicote dela Peña (born January 19, 1984 Makati, Philippines) is a Filipino-Canadian professional basketball athlete who played shooting guard for the Alaska Aces of the PBA, the San Miguel Beermen of the ASEAN Basketball League and Calgary Crush of the ABA.
Dela Peña is the youngest son of Susan Chicote-dela Peña and of former Mapuan / San Miguel PBA athlete Ricardo dela Peña, and brother to Richard dela Peña, who also has an accomplished background in basketball.
Dela Peña was raised in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where he began his basketball career and suited up for Mount Royal University Cougars. He was named in the All-Canadian team at age of 17 and decided to pursue a career as a professional basketball athlete in the Philippines at age of 20.
National Collegiate Athletic Association
As a college athlete in the Philippines, dela Peña played four seasons with the NCAA's Mapúa Institute of Technology team, and Philippine Basketball League as well as was a member of the RP team. In his four seasons as a Mapua Cardinal, he was awarded NCAA Season 81 Rookie of the Year, NCAA Season 83 Most Valuable Player, NCAA Season 83 Mythical Five and took the Cardinals to their final four stints all four of his college years earning him the titles of "King Cardinal" and "The Comeback Kid". Towards the final weeks before finishing his senior season of NCAA 84, dela Peña began to suffer from back spasms and played through the pain to assure that the Cardinals qualified in the final four.
Kelvin dela Peña was drafted 15th overall in the second round in the PBA draft and suited up for the Alaska Aces of the Philippine Basketball Association from 2008-2010. Shortly after being drafted, he suffered from three herniated discs in his lower back and a pinched sciatic nerve and was given limited time on the court. After his two years with the Aces, he took a year off to recover. In September 2011, dela Peña became a member of the San Miguel Beermen of the ASEAN Basketball League. He is currently playing basketball in his home town of Calgary Canada for the Calgary Crush; the only Western Canadian team in the American Basketball Association .
- Kelvin dela Peña: a proud Canadian-Filipino ball player
- Crush aim for staying power in tough Calgary pro basketball market
- Rise Up Hoops Skills & Strength Training
- Canada Basketball, Filipino-Canadian drafted by Philippine Pro Team
- Manila Bulletin-Dela Peña leads NCAA MVP race
- Google News
- Find Articles
- Dela Pena shines, Lifts Mapua to victory
- The Sunday Times
- Inbound Pass: Cardinals Win, Dela Pena proves his worth
- Inbound Pass: Cardinals survive in double overtime over Blue Eagles
- Inbound Pass: Cardinals on track towards Final 4
- Inbound Pass: Cardinals upset Knights
- Inbound Pass: Dela Pena marks triple-double, powers Mapua in OT
- Inbound Pass: Cardinals 5 upsets Tams
- Inbound Pass: Cardinals upset favored San Beda
- Inbound Pass: Cardinals roll past Bulldogs
- NCAA Season 81 basketball tournaments
- NCAA Season 82 basketball tournaments
- NCAA Season 83 basketball tournaments
- NCAA Season 84 basketball tournaments
- Kelvin Named Weeks Best NCAA Player
- Calgary Crush Basketball
- Calgary Crush Blog
|NCAA Seniors' Basketball Rookie of the Year
|NCAA Seniors' Basketball Most Valuable Player