|Traded as||NYSE: KMPR|
S&P 400 Component
|Headquarters||200 East Randolph St.|
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Robert J. Joyce, Chairman, Joseph P. Lacher (CEO)|
|Revenue||US$3,725.1 million (2018)|
|US$199.1 million (2018)|
|US$190.1 million (2018)|
|Total assets||US$11,544.9 million (2018)|
Number of employees
Today's Kemper Corporation was originally founded as Unitrin, Inc. in April 1990, when it was spun off from Henry Singleton's conglomerate Teledyne. Singleton expected the new venture to duplicate the successful spin off of the Argo Group, originally a worker's compensation insurance provider, created in 1986. Argonaut's original $20 per share stock appreciated 240 percent by 1990.
Singleton remained Chairman of Unitrin after it was spun off to shareholders at $31.25 per share, trading on NASDAQ. Unitrin divided its business into three major categories: life and health insurance, property and casualty insurance, and consumer finance, which covered a variety of services including automobile and industrial loans.
In 2002, Unitrin purchased the renewal rights for the homeowners and automobile insurance lines of Kemper Insurance, a long-time Chicago insurance and financial services firm. In 2010, Unitrin purchased all rights to the Kemper name, and began operations as Kemper Corporation on August 25, 2011, with trading on the New York Stock Exchange under the KMPR ticker symbol.
In November 2015, Joseph P. Lacher, Jr. was appointed President and Chief Executive Officer. Under Lacher's leadership, Kemper's annual revenue has increased 60% and the stock price more than doubled.
The company unified and refreshed its brand in October 2018.
In July 2018, Kemper acquired Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation (NASDAQ: IPCC), an auto insurance provider focused on serving the specialty, nonstandard segment, in a cash and stock transaction valued at approximately $1.4 billion.
Through their businesses, Kemper:
- Offers insurance for auto, home, life, health and valuables
- Services approximately 6.3 million policies
- Is represented by more than 30,000 agents and brokers
- Employs over 8,100 associates dedicated to providing exceptional service
- Is licensed to sell insurance in 50 states and the District of Columbia
Property and casualty insurance
- Alliance United Insurance Company
- Alpha Property & Casualty Insurance Company
- Charter Indemnity Company
- Financial Indemnity Company
- Infinity Insurance Company
- Infinity Auto Insurance Company
- Infinity Assurance Insurance Company
- Infinity Casualty Insurance Company
- Infinity County Mutual Insurance Company
- Infinity Indemnity Insurance Company
- Infinity Preferred Insurance Company
- Infinity Safeguard Insurance Company
- Infinity Select Insurance Company
- Infinity Standard Insurance Company
- Infinity Security Insurance Company
- Kemper Financial Indemnity Company
- Kemper Independence Insurance
- Merastar Insurance Company
- Mutual Savings Fire Insurance Company
- Response Insurance Company
- Response Worldwide Direct Auto Insurance Company
- Response Worldwide Insurance Company
- Trinity Universal Insurance Company
- Unitrin Advantage Insurance Company
- Unitrin Auto and Home Insurance Company
- Unitrin Direct Insurance Company
- Unitrin Direct Property & Casualty Company
- Unitrin Preferred Insurance Company
- Unitrin Safeguard Insurance Company
- Valley Property & Casualty Insurance Company
- Warner Insurance Company
Life and health insurance
- Mutual Savings Fire Insurance Company
- Mutual Savings Life Insurance Company
- Reserve National Insurance Company
- The Reliable Life Insurance Company
- Union National Life Insurance Companresearch department
- United Insurance Company of America
- United Casualty Insurance Company of America
- Union National Fire Insurance Company
Affiliated insurance companies
- Capitol County Mutual Fire Insurance Company
- Old Reliable Casualty Company
- Unitrin County Mutual Insurance Company
- "Kemper site". Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- "Kemper Corporation". Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Kemper Corporation". Kemper.com. Retrieved 2019-04-08.
- "Unitrin buys rights to Kemper Insurance name". 2010. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Kemper runoff saga nearing conclusion". 2010. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Kemper". Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- Wells, Andrea (2011). "Unitrin Changes Name to Kemper". Insurance Journal. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Kemper to Buy Alliance United in California Car Insurance Push". Retrieved 2014-12-11.