May 6, 1939 |
Orange, New Jersey
|Alma mater||Cornell University, 1961
Colgate University, 1963
|Occupation||Author, Professional speaker, Consultant, Management expert|
|Notable work||The One Minute Manager, 1982
Leadership and the One Minute Manager, 1985
Raving Fans, 1993
Gung Ho!, legendry service: The key is to care, 1996
The Secret: What Great Leaders Know--and Do, 2004
Refire! Don't Retire, 2015
Kenneth Hartley Blanchard (born May 6, 1939 in Orange, New Jersey ) is an American author and management expert. His extensive writing career includes over 60 published books, most of which are co-authored books. His most successful book, The One Minute Manager has sold over 13 Million books and translated into many languages.
Blanchard is also the Chief Spiritual Officer of The Ken Blanchard Companies, an international management training and consulting firm that he and his wife, Marjorie Blanchard, co-founded in 1979 in San Diego, California.
Blanchard attended New Rochelle High School, and graduated in 1957. He completed a BA degree in government and philosophy at Cornell University in 1961, a MA degree in sociology and counseling at Colgate University in 1963 and a PhD degree in education administration and leadership at Cornell University in 1967. As an undergraduate at Cornell, he joined the fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI), and was selected for membership in the Quill and Dagger society.
Blanchard is a Cornell University trustee emeritus and visiting professor at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration. He and his wife were named Cornell Entrepreneurs of the Year in 1991.
The Ken Blanchard Companies
The Ken Blanchard Companies is an international management training and consulting firm that Ken and his wife Marjorie co-founded in 1979. The company's core mission is to increase organizational performance through leadership consulting. Currently, the company provides leadership training and consulting in coordination with a vast majority companies in many varying industries. The three pillars on which the company stands are Building Leadership Capacity, Cultivating Leadership Bench Strength, and Leading Organizational Change.
Building leadership capacity focuses on increasing employee passion, customer devotion, and organizational vitality through creating effective leaders in the workplace. The implication of this, and the ultimate goal of building leadership capacity, is to allow organizations to create results-oriented, people-focused leaders who improve performance, increase retention and morale, and deliver bottom-line results.
Cultivating leadership strength differs from building leadership capacity insofar as it is an inside-out approach to help individuals understand themselves so they can become effective leaders. The premise of this mission is that by mentoring high-potential talent and giving them the resources to grow into competent and confident managers, firms will seed the pipeline for organizational growth.
The last of the three pillars of his company, leading organizational change, focuses on sharpening the operational strategy, process, and communications of clientele firms. The company handles changes in management due to reorganizations, new executive appointments, mergers, acquisitions, downsizing, and alike. The Ken Blanchard Companies also addresses and consults on critical issues and necessities during each phase of the firm's organization change.
Ken's writing career includes more than 60 books, and hundreds of keynote speeches. Some of his most notable books include:
- The One Minute Manager® (co-authored with Spencer Johnson), which has sold over 13 million copies and has been translated into 37 languages.
- Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach To Customer Service (1993)
- Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership® (1985) (in which he coined the term seagull manager)
- Gung Ho! Turn On the People in Any Organization (1997)
- Whale Done! The Power of Positive Relationships (2002)
- Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations (2006).
- "Ken Blanchard Companies" (PDF).
- Archipelago, World. "Ken Blanchard". HarperCollins US. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- "Kenneth Blanchard". www.nndb.com. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- Legends: Ken Blanchard's Lifetime Mission, Success, November 23, 2009
- "Keynote Speaker Ken Blanchard". The Goodman Speakers Bureau. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- "Cornell Chronicle".
- Amazon.com: Profile for Ken Blanchard
- Lead With LUV (with Colleen Barrett, 2011) ISBN 978-0-13-703974-6
- Whale Done Parenting (with Thad Lacinak, Chuck Tompkins, and Jim Ballard, 2009) ISBN 978-1-60509-348-2
- Who Killed Change?: Solving the Mystery of Leading People Through Change (with John Britt, Pat Zigarmi, and Judd Hoekstra, 2009) ISBN 978-0-06-177893-3
- Helping People Win at Work: A Business Philosophy Called Don't Mark My Paper, Help Me Get an A (with Garry Ridge, 2009) ISBN 978-0-13-701171-1
- The One Minute Entrepreneur (with Don Hutson and Ethan Willis, 2008) ISBN 978-0-385-52602-9
- 4th Secret of the One Minute Manager: A Powerful Way to Make Things Better (with Margret Mcbride, 2008) ISBN 978-0-06-147031-8 (originally published as the One Minute Apology)
- The Mulligan: A Parable of Second Chances (with Wally Armstrong) (Thomas Nelson, 2007) ISBN 978-0-8499-0323-6
- Know Can Do!: Put Your Know-How Into Action (with Paul J Meyer and Dick Ruhe) (Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2007) ISBN 978-1-57675-468-9
- Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations (FT Press, 2006) ISBN 978-0-13-234772-3
- Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time (with Phil Hodges) (Thomas Nelson, 2006) ISBN 978-0-8499-0040-2
- The Simple Truths of Service (with Barbara Glanz) (Blanchard Family Partnership, 2005)
- Kingdomality: An Ingenious New Way to Triumph in Management (foreword; Sheldon Bowles (Hyperion, 2005) ISBN 1-4013-0135-5
- The On-time, On-target Manager (One Minute Manager) (with Steve Gottry) (HarperCollins Entertainment, 2004) ISBN 978-0-00-719035-5, ISBN 0-06-057459-3
- Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership (with Susan Fowler and Laurence Hawkins) (William Morrow, 2005) ISBN 978-0-06-079912-0
- One Solitary Life (HarperCollins Business, 2005) ISBN 1-4041-0172-1
- The Secret! Discover What Great Leaders Know -and Do (with Mark Miller and Rick Adamson) (Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2004) ISBN 978-1-57675-289-0
- Heart of a Leader: Insights on the Art of Influence (HarperCollins Business, 2004) ISBN 0-7814-4543-4
- Customer Mania! Ready to Serve (HarperCollins Business, 2004) ISBN 0-7432-7028-2
- Customer Mania! It's Never Too Late to Build a Customer-Focused Company (Free Press, 2004) ISBN 978-0-7432-7028-1
- The Leadership Pill: The Missing Ingredient in Motivating People Today (HarperCollins Business, 2003) ISBN
- Servant Leader (HarperCollins Business, 2003) ISBN
- Full Steam Ahead! Unleash the Power of Vision in Your Company and Your Life (with Jesse Stoner) (Berrett-Koehler Publisher, 2004) ISBN 1-57675-306-9
- Whale Done! : The Power of Positive Relationships (with Thad Lacinak, Chuck Tompkins, and Jim Ballard, HarperCollins Business, 2002) ISBN
- The One Minute Apology: A Powerful Way to Make Things Better (with Margaret McBride, HarperCollins Business, 2002) ISBN
- Generosity Factor (TM), The (HarperCollins Business, August 1 2002) ISBN
- High Five! The Magic of Working Together (with Sheldon Bowles, HarperCollins Business, January 1 2001) ISBN
- Big Bucks! (with Sheldon Bowles, William Morrow, 2000) ISBN 0-688-17035-8
- The One Minute Manager Balances Work and Life (One Minute Manager Library) (HarperCollins Business, 1999) ISBN
- The One Minute Golfer: Enjoying the Great Game More (One Minute Manager Library) (HarperCollins Business, 1999) ISBN
- The 3 Keys to Empowerment: Release the Power Within People for Astonishing Results (HarperCollins Business, 1999) ISBN
- Leadership by the Book: Tools to Transform Your Workplace (with Bill Hybels and Phil Hodges, HarperCollins Business, 1999) ISBN
- Gung Ho! Turn On the People in Any Organization (with Sheldon Bowles, HarperCollins Business, 1998) ISBN
- Mission Possible: Becoming A World-Class Organization While There's Still Time (HarperCollins Business, 1996) ISBN
- Empowerement Takes More than a Minute (with John P Carlos and Alan Randolph, 1996) ISBN
- Raving Fans a Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service (with Sheldon Bowles, HarperCollins Business, 1993) ISBN
- Playing the Great Game of Golf: Making Every Minute Count (1992)
- The One Minute Manager Builds High Performing Teams (with Don Carew and Eunice Parisi-Carew, William Morrow & Co, 1990, 3rd ed, 2009)
- One Minute Manager Meets The Monkey, The (HarperCollins Business, 1989) ISBN
- Management of Organizational Behavior: Utilizing Human Resources (with Paul Hersey, 5th ed, 1988)
- The Power of Ethical Management (with Norman Vincent Peale, HarperCollins Business, 1988) ISBN
- The One Minute Manager Gets Fit (with D.W. Edington and Marjorie Blanchard, 1986) ISBN
- Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership (with Patricia Zigarmi and Drea Zigarmi, HarperCollins Business, 1985) ISBN
- Organizational Change Through Effective Leadership (with Robert H. Guest and Paul Hersey, 2nd ed 1985) ISBN
- Putting the One Minute Manager to Work (with Robert Lobrber, William Morrow & Co, 1984) ISBN
- The One Minute Manager: The Quickest Way to Increase Your Own Prosperity (with Spencer Johnson, William Morrow & Co, 1982) ISBN 0-06-008579-7
- The Family Game: A Situational Approach to Effective Parenting (with Paul Hersey, 1979) ISBN