|Member of Parliament
for Wolverhampton North East
10 April 1992 – 12 April 2010
|Preceded by||Maureen Hicks|
|Succeeded by||Emma Reynolds|
8 January 1939|
|Died||28 August 2016
|Political party||Labour Co-operative|
|Alma mater||University of Wolverhampton|
Kenneth Purchase (8 January 1939 – 28 August 2016) was a British politician. He belonged to the Labour Party and the Co-operative Party, and served as a Member of Parliament for Wolverhampton North East from 1992 to 2010.
He attended Springfield Secondary Modern School (became Woden Primary School) on Springfield Road in Wolverhampton. At Wolverhampton Polytechnic, (now Wolverhampton University) he gained a BA in Social Science. Ken worked as a co-operative development officer. He was an apprentice toolmaker in the foundry industry from 1956–60 at the firm of Arthur Shaw & Company at Willenhall From 1960–8, he worked in experimental component development in the aerospace industry. From 1968–76, he was a toolroom machinist in the car industry. He worked in the property division of Telford Development Corporation. From 1981–2, he was a housing officer in the Housing Department of Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council. From 1982–92, he was a Business Development Advisor at Black Country CDA Ltd. He was a councillor on Wolverhampton Metropolitan Borough Council from 1970–90.
He married Brenda Sanders on 20 August 1960 in Rowley Regis. They had two daughters, Samantha and Lisa, who survived him. He died in August 2016 aged 77 and was cremated at Bushbury Crematorium, Wolverhampton.
- Langdon, Julia (5 September 2016). "Kenneth Purchase obituary". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Ken Purchase, funeral to dedicated man of the people". Express and Star. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "City MP Ken to retire". Express & Star. 27 October 2007. Retrieved 3 November 2007.
- His website
- Guardian Unlimited Politics – Ask Aristotle: Ken Purchase MP
- TheyWorkForYou.com – Ken Purchase MP
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Ken Purchase
- BBC Politics
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Wolverhampton North East