Ken Read (sailor)
|Born||June 24, 1961|
Newport, Rhode Island
|College team||Boston University|
|Club||Barrington Yacht Club|
Kenneth Read (born June 24, 1961) is an American yachtsman who is considered one of the world’s most accomplished and celebrated sailors. He was named United States Rolex Yachtsman of the Year twice (1985 and 1995), and has won more than 40 world, North American, and national championships in a variety of classes, with nine of those being World Championships titles  in the J/24, Etchells 22 and yacht classes.
While sailing at Boston University (Boston, MA. USA), Read was a three-time collegiate All American (1981, 1982 and 1983) and is now a member of the Boston University Hall of Fame. He won the 1982 ICSA Coed Dinghy National Championship and the ICSA Match Racing National Championship, receiving the "Everett B. Morris Trophy", awarded to the ICSA College Sailor of the Year.
Volvo Ocean Race
Read was skipper of Puma Ocean Racing Team’s il Mostro in the 2008–2009 Volvo Ocean Race—his first complete circumnavigation. Read took a sabbatical from his job as vice president of sailmaking company North Sails to skipper PUMA Ocean Racing's entry in the race.
In July 2012, Mar Mostro finished its circumnavigation in Galway, Ireland in third place, securing a third place overall victory in the 2011–12 edition of the Volvo Ocean Race. Alongside a third place podium finish, Read led PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG to a first place overall victory in the In-Port Series. Read stated the 2011–12 Volvo Ocean Race would be his last.
Since completing his Volvo Ocean Race campaigns, Read has often acted as skipper for Dr. James H. Clark's latest yachts Hanuman and IRC supermaxi Comanche. In 2015, Read skippered Comanche to Victory in the 2015 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race. Read is a commentator on the America's Cup tournament.
Read worked as a sailmaker at North Sails since 1996 and has taken four sabbaticals to take part in yacht racing events. In 2012 he took over as president of North Sails.
- "CollegeSailing.org - Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association of North America (ICSA)". WEb.archive.org. 10 April 2007. Archived from the original on 10 April 2007. Retrieved 21 August 2017.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18". Volvooceanrace.com. Archived from the original on 2009-12-26. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "Shoes, Clothing and Sportswear - PUMA® Official Online Store". Puma US. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-05-07. Retrieved 2012-01-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Volvo Ocean Race Official Website: "Read's 'hard luck kids' do PUMA proud". Volvooceanrace.com. Archived from the original on 2013-02-09. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "Volvo Ocean Race Official Website: PUNA pounce to win In-Port Series". Volvooceanrace.com. Archived from the original on 2012-08-13. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "Why it's Good to Be Ken Read, Pro Sailor". Dsc.discovery.com. 10 May 2017. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "American victory as Comanche takes line honours in Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race - Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2017". Rolexsydneyhobart.com. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "Ken Read named as new President of North Sails Group". Sail-World.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ken Read (sailor).|