Ken Stubbs, Binna Burra Studios, Australia, 2012
March 29, 1961 |
|Genres||Jazz, jazz fusion, free improvisation|
|Occupation(s)||Saxophonist, composer, teacher,|
|Labels||ECM, Cherryk Records|
|Associated acts||First House, Django Bates, Mick Hutton, Martin France, Gary Husband, Phil Robson, Scott Tinkler, Loose Tubes|
Ken Stubbs (born in 1961) is a jazz musician, alto saxophonist, and composer.
Ken Stubbs was born in Old Swan, Liverpool, United Kingdom and later attended Blackpool Grammar School. In 1978-80 he studied saxophone, composition and conducting at Salford College under the tutorship of Goff Richards and Roy Newsome.
As jazz musician
While living in London Ken Stubbs also played and recorded with Mike Walker, Jeremy Stacey, Gary Husband, Peter Erskine, Kenny Wheeler, John Taylor, Phil Robson, Orlando le Fleming, Mike Gibbs Orchestra and Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath.
In 2004 Ken Stubbs was one of the 60 composers invited to create one bar of music for the composition, 'Premature Celebration' by Django Bates - written for Evan Parker and the London Sinfonietta, to celebrate Evan's 60th birthday. It was performed at the FuseLeeds Festival and broadcast by BBC Radio 3.
Since living in Australia he has been a saxophone tutor at Queensland Conservatorium of Music as well as a saxophone tutor and big band director at both Southern Cross University, Lismore and Northern Rivers Conservatorium Arts Centre, NSW.
Since 1996 he has been developing a major on-line jazz education library resource.
- 'Eréndira' (1985) - ECM
- 'Cantilena' (1989) - ECM
- 'Ballads' (2000) - with Gary Husband, Phil Robson, Mick Hutton - CherryK Records
- 'Strange Attractors' (2011) - with Scott Tinkler, Simon Barker, Brett Hirst, Steve Newcomb - CherryK Records
- 'Crooked Crooks Cracks' (2012) - Scott Tinkler, Simon Barker, Brett Hirst, Steve Newcomb - CherryK Records
With Loose Tubes
- 'Dancing On Frith Street' (Recorded live 1990) (2010)
- 'Säd Afrika' (Recorded live 1990) (2012)
- 'Arriving' (Recorded live 1990) (2015)
- Lee, Chris. Manchester Evening News. November 10, 2000.
- Vine, Andrew. Yorkshire Evening Post. November 22, 2000.
- Griffiths, David. South Wales Evening Post. November 6, 2000
- Fordham, John. The Guardian, Friday 5 March 2004
Tyran, Grillo (January 11, 2012). "First House: Eréndira (ECM 1307)". between sound and space. ECM.
Tyran, Grillo (March 1, 2012). "First House: Cantilena (ECM 1393)". between sound and space. ECM.
Santella, Jim (1 January 2001). "Ken Stubbs: Ballads". All About Jazz.
Lindsay, Bruce (13 January 2011). "Loose Tubes: Dancing On Frith Street (2010)". All About Jazz.
Kelman, John (28 June 2012). "Loose Tubes: Sad Afrika". Extended Analysis. All About Jazz.