Weatherwax in a 1964 publicity still for The Addams Family
Kenneth Patrick Weatherwax|
September 29, 1955
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
December 7, 2014 (aged 59)|
West Hills, California, U.S.
|Cause of death||Heart attack|
|Resting place||Valhalla Memorial Park Cemetery|
|Years active||1964–1966, 1977|
Weatherwax was born in Los Angeles, California, into a show-business family. His aunt was actress and dancer Ruby Keeler, while his half-brother, Joey D. Vieira, played "Porky" on the first three seasons of Lassie under the stage name of Donald Keeler, beginning in 1954. His uncles were Frank and Rudd Weatherwax, Lassie's trainers and owners of the first dog to play the role.
Weatherwax made his acting debut in the early 1960s when he was nine years old, playing a boy named "Chester" in Gleem toothpaste commercials alongside Alice Pearce. He was then cast as Pugsley Addams on The Addams Family, after successfully auditioning with stars Carolyn Jones and John Astin. The program ran for two seasons from 1964 to 1966, and after its cancellation, Weatherwax lost interest in acting due to his being unable to get work from being typecast as Pugsley. He entered the U.S. Army at seventeen, and at the age of 21, he reprised the role of Pugsley in the 1977 reunion film Halloween with the New Addams Family. He established a career behind the camera as a movie studio grip and set builder, while making occasional appearances at Addams Family-related events with former costar Lisa Loring, who had played Pugsley's younger sister Wednesday Addams on the show.
- "Ken Weatherwax, Pugsley on 'The Addams Family', Dies at 59". The New York Times. Associated Press. December 9, 2014.
- Humphrey, Hal (January 17, 1965). "Toothpaste to Witchery". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- Barnes, Mike (December 8, 2014). "Ken Weatherwax, Who Played Pugsley on TV's 'Addams Family,' Dies at 59". The Hollywood Reporter. ISSN 0018-3660.
- "Ken Weatherwax, Pugsley on 'The Addams Family', Dies at 59". Variety. December 8, 2014. ISSN 0042-2738.
- Parker, Ryan (8 December 2014). "'The Addams Family' star Ken Weatherwax dead at 59". Los Angeles Times.