December 11, 1982
Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii, United States
|Other names||Da Spyder|
|Height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)|
Light Heavyweight (2005)
|Reach||79.0 in (201 cm)|
|Style||Boxing, Freestyle Wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||Maui, Hawaii|
|Team||Misfits MMA, Maui Jiujitsu|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
last updated on: April 26, 2012
- 1 Early life
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Championships and achievements
- 4 Mixed martial arts record
- 5 Mixed martial arts exhibition match record
- 6 Personal
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Grove was born in Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii and is a graduate of Baldwin High School in Wailuku, Hawaii, where he was a high school wrestler. Grove has a mixed ethnic heritage of Native Hawaiian, Samoan and Native American bloodlines.
Mixed martial arts career
The Ultimate Fighter
While on The Ultimate Fighter 3, Grove trained under Tito Ortiz, and won a preliminary victory against Ross Pointon by rear naked choke and in the semi-finals defeated Kalib Starnes by submission after a rib injury sustained by Starnes during the fight caused him to verbally submit. He defeated Ed Herman in the finals by unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28) in the series finale, winning a six-figure contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
After the taping of the series, Grove was invited to Ortiz's training camp, Team Punishment and has trained with Ortiz along with many of his former teammates on The Ultimate Fighter 3 at Ortiz's Big Bear City, California training facility. He has trained with Randy Couture's camp at Xtreme Couture. Since his loss to Jorge Rivera, he has moved back to Hawaii and has trained there with his friend BJ Penn.
In his next fight at UFC 69 he faced up and coming prospect Alan Belcher. After a close first round Grove came out strong in round two. Grove rocked Belcher with punches and knees from the clinch. With just over two minutes remaining in the round Grove secured a double-leg takedown. As Belcher scrambled to escape Grove locked in a D'arce choke which rendered Belcher unconscious giving Grove the victory by technical submission at 4:42 of round two.
At UFC 74, Grove faced UFC veteran Patrick Côté. Côté defeated Grove via first-round TKO. Grove experienced his second consecutive loss at UFC 80 to Jorge Rivera losing by KO at 1:20 in the first round.
Grove faced Evan Tanner at The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rampage vs Team Forrest Finale on June 21, 2008. The bout saw Grove bloody Tanner and frustrate the former middleweight champion by stopping his takedowns and getting back up immediately following being sent to the floor. Grove won a split decision (28–29, 30–26, 30–26) to snap his two fight losing streak.
Grove next faced middleweight prospect Mark Muñoz at UFC 112 in a bout that would earn Fight of the Night honors. After a successful first round with several near submissions, Grove lost via TKO at 2:50 in the 2nd round.
Grove next fought Demian Maia on December 4, 2010, at The Ultimate Fighter: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck Finale. Grove lost the fight via unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28).
On June 17, 2011, Grove announced via Facebook that he had been released from the UFC, along with welterweight Chuck O'Neil. He became the third Ultimate Fighter winner to be released following Efrain Escudero from Season Eight and Travis Lutter from Season Four.
Grove fought Joe Riggs at ProElite 1 This was a rematch of their previous encounter at Rumble on the Rock 5, a match which Riggs won. Grove won via guillotine choke submission 59 seconds into round 1.
Grove's next fight was against undefeated Derek Brunson for the ShoFight Middleweight Championship. Grove won via split decision.
On December 1, 2012, Grove faced Mamed Khalidov at KSW 21 event in Poland. He lost by submission in the second round.
On June 8, 2013, he fought Michał Materla, for KSW Middleweight Championship and lost by unanimous decision.
Grove was originally scheduled to face Chris Honeycutt at Bellator 174 on March 3, 2017. However, Honeycutt was removed from the bout on February 28 and replaced by Mike Rhodes. Rhodes was then unable to make the required weight, and the bout scratched after they were unable to come to an agreement for the bout to proceed at a catchweight.
Kendall was released from Bellator on February 20, 2018.
Championships and achievements
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- ShoFight Middleweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|42 matches||23 wins||18 losses|
|Loss||23–18 (1)||A.J. Matthews||Decision (split)||Bellator 193||January 26, 2018||3||5:00||Temecula, California, United States|
|Loss||23–17 (1)||John Salter||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bellator 181||July 14, 2017||1||4:37||Thackerville, Oklahoma, United States|
|Loss||23–16 (1)||Alexander Shlemenko||TKO (punches)||Bellator 162||October 21, 2016||2||1:43||Memphis, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||23–15 (1)||Francisco France||KO (punches)||Bellator 150||February 26, 2016||2||0:35||Mulvane, Kansas, United States|
|Win||22–15 (1)||Joey Beltran||TKO (punches)||Bellator 143||September 25, 2015||3||2:27||Hidalgo, Texas, United States|
|Loss||21–15 (1)||Brandon Halsey||TKO (punches)||Bellator 137||May 15, 2015||4||2:25||Temecula, California, United States||For the Bellator Middleweight Championship|
|Win||21–14 (1)||Christian M'Pumbu||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bellator 127||October 3, 2014||2||4:14||Temecula, California, United States|
|Loss||20–14 (1)||Brett Cooper||TKO (punches)||Bellator 114||March 28, 2014||2||3:33||West Valley City, Utah, United States||Bellator Season 10 Middleweight Tournament Semifinal|
|Win||20–13 (1)||Joe Vedepo||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 104||October 18, 2013||3||5:00||Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States||Bellator debut|
|Win||19–13 (1)||Danny Mitchell||TKO (punches)||GWC: The British Invasion: US vs. UK||June 29, 2013||1||4:53||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Loss||18–13 (1)||Michal Materla||Decision (unanimous)||KSW 23||June 8, 2013||4||5:00||Gdansk, Poland||for the KSW Middleweight Championship|
|Loss||18–12 (1)||Jesse Taylor||Decision (unanimous)||K-Oz Entertainment: Bragging Rights 5||February 23, 2013||5||5:00||Perth, Western Australia||For the K-Oz Entertainment Middleweight Championship|
|Loss||18–11 (1)||Mamed Khalidov||Submission (achilles lock)||KSW 21||December 1, 2012||2||1:31||Warsaw, Poland|
|Win||18–10 (1)||Chris Cisneros||TKO (punches)||RWE: Just Scrap 3||November 10, 2012||2||4:30||Maui, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||17–10 (1)||Ariel Gandulla||TKO (punches)||AFC 13: Natural Selection||November 3, 2012||2||4:45||Victoria, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||16–10 (1)||Joe Cronin||Submission (D'Arce choke)||RWE: Just Scrap 2||September 8, 2012||1||1:20||Lahaina, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||15–10 (1)||Derek Brunson||Decision (split)||ShoFight 20||June 16, 2012||3||5:00||Springfield, Missouri, United States||Won the ShoFight Middleweight Title. 190 lb Catchweight|
|Loss||14–10 (1)||Jay Silva||Technical Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Superior Cage Combat 4||February 16, 2012||2||1:52||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14–9 (1)||Ikuhisa Minowa||Decision (unanimous)||ProElite 3||January 21, 2012||3||5:00||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||13–9 (1)||Joe Riggs||Submission (guillotine choke)||ProElite: Arlovski vs. Lopez||August 27, 2011||1||0:59||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Loss||12–9 (1)||Tim Boetsch||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 130||May 28, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||12–8 (1)||Demian Maia||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck Finale||December 4, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–7 (1)||Goran Reljic||Decision (split)||UFC 116||July 3, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–7 (1)||Mark Muñoz||TKO (punches)||UFC 112||April 10, 2010||2||2:50||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||Fight of the Night|
|Win||11–6 (1)||Jake Rosholt||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC 106||November 21, 2009||1||3:59||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||10–6 (1)||Ricardo Almeida||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 101||August 8, 2009||3||5:00||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||10–5 (1)||Jason Day||TKO (punches and elbows)||UFC 96||March 7, 2009||1||1:32||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||9–5 (1)||Evan Tanner||Decision (split)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rampage vs Team Forrest Finale||June 21, 2008||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||8–5 (1)||Jorge Rivera||KO (punches)||UFC 80||January 19, 2008||1||1:20||Newcastle upon Tyne, England|
|Loss||8–4 (1)||Patrick Côté||TKO (punches)||UFC 74||August 25, 2007||1||4:45||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–3 (1)||Alan Belcher||Submission (D'Arce choke)||UFC 69||April 7, 2007||2||4:42||Houston, Texas, United States||Submission of the Night|
|Win||7–3 (1)||Chris Price||Submission (elbows)||Ortiz vs. Shamrock 3: The Final Chapter||October 10, 2006||1||3:59||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Win||6–3 (1)||Ed Herman||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Ortiz vs. Team Shamrock Finale||June 24, 2006||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won The Ultimate Fighter 3: Middleweight; Fight of the Night|
|Win||5–3 (1)||Jay Carter||Submission (triangle choke)||Rumble on the Rock: Showdown in Maui||October 7, 2005||1||3:25||Maui, Hawaii, United States|
|Loss||4–3 (1)||Hector Ramirez||KO (punch)||KOTC: Mortal Sins||May 7, 2005||1||1:08||Primm, Nevada, United States||Fought at Light Heavyweight|
|Win||4–2 (1)||Matt Gidney||Submission (rear-naked choke)||TC 8-Total Combat 8||April 2, 2005||1||2:28||Tijuana, Mexico|
|Loss||3–2 (1)||Savant Young||Technical Submission (guillotine choke)||Lockdown in Paradise 1||March 19, 2005||1||2:00||Lahaina, Hawaii, United States||192 lb catchweight; Grove came in overweight|
|Win||3–1 (1)||Matt Hendricks||TKO (punches)||Total Combat 7||January 29, 2005||2||N/A||Tijuana, Mexico|
|NC||2–1 (1)||Ricky Gunz||No Contest||Total Combat 6||October 24, 2004||1||N/A||Tijuana, Mexico|
|Loss||2–1||Joe Riggs||KO (elbows)||Rumble on the Rock 5||May 7, 2004||1||3:09||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||2–0||Kaipo Kalama||Submission (rear-naked choke)||SuperBrawl 34||March 28, 2004||2||3:16||Wailuku, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||1–0||Tripstin Kersiano||Submission (triangle choke)||KFC 3: Island Pride||July 27, 2003||1||2:04||Wailuku, Hawaii, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition match record
|Professional record breakdown|
|2 matches||2 wins||0 losses|
|Win||2–0||Kalib Starnes||Verbal Submission (injury)||The Ultimate Fighter 3||June 8, 2006||3||0:30||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ross Pointon||Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 3||April 20, 2006||1||3:45||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
Grove and wife Anna, have six children together: two sons and four daughters.
- "Kendall "Da Spyder" Grove". SHERDOG.com. 2010-07-04. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- Starr Begley (2007-08-16). "Ke Koa O Maui". Mauitime.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Brittany Yap (2006-07-02). "Maui fighter on 'Ultimate' high". the.honoluluadvertiser.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- "Index of /blog". Rmaxinternational.com.
- "Kendall Grove vs. Goran Reljic at UFC 116". truefighting.webs.com.com. Archived from the original on 2010-05-06. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "UFC 116 LIVE RESULTS AND PLAY-BY-PLAY". mmaweekly.com. 2010-07-03.[permanent dead link]
- "Tim Boetsch drops to middleweight, faces Kendall Grove at UFC 130". mmajunkie.com.com. Archived from the original on 2011-03-22. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- "Following recent losses, Kendall Grove, Chuck O'Neil released from UFC". MMAJunkie.com. 2011-06-18. Archived from the original on 2011-06-20.
- "Minowa to Meet 'Spyder' Grove at ProElite 3 in January". Sherdog.com. 2011-11-22.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- "Kendall Grove to Fight in Victoria on November 3". TopMMANews.com. 2012-09-25.
- "Aggression FC 13 Results". TopMMANews.com. 2012-11-03.
- Sherdog.com. "Mamed Khalidov Achilles Lock Submits Kendall Grove in KSW 21 Headliner". Sherdog.
- "Bellator 104 Play by Play". Sherdog.
- "Bellator Season 10 Middleweight Tournament Features Cooper-Grove". Sherdog.
- "DANIEL STRAUS-JUSTIN WILCOX FEATHERWEIGHT CLASH HEADLINES BELLATOR 127 ON OCT. 3". sherdog.com. August 22, 2014.
- Staff (2015-03-03). "Bellator middleweight champ Brandon Halsey meets Kendall Grove at Bellator 137 on May 15". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- "Kendall Grove unleashed on Francisco France at Bellator 150". news.com.au. February 28, 2016.
- Brian Knapp (October 22, 2016). "Alexander Shlemenko Liver Shot Folds Kendall Grove in Bellator 162 Main Event". sherdog.com.
- Mike Bohn (2017-03-02). "Kendall Grove-Mike Rhodes scratched from Bellator 174". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- John Morgan (July 14, 2017). "Bellator 181 results: Derek Campos scores trilogy win over Brandon Girtz in blood-soaked instant classic". mmajunkie.com.
- "Pinoy fighter AJ Matthews returns to action against veteran Kendall Grove". sports.abs-cbn.com. December 6, 2017.
- John Morgan (January 26, 2018). "Bellator 193 results: Lorenz Larkin picks up first Bellator win". mmajunkie.com.
- Mike Bohn (February 8, 2018). "Kendall Grove optimistic about future following Bellator release". mmajunkie.com.
- "Bellator trims roster, parts ways with 13 fighters". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-02-21.