Princess Salwa Aga Khan
|Salwa Aga Khan|
August 5, 1988
Seattle, Washington, United States
|Spouse(s)||Prince Rahim Aga Khan (m. 2013)|
|Children||Prince Irfan Aga Khan (b. 2015)
Prince Sinan Aga Khan (b. 2017)
|Height||5 ft 10.5 in (1.79 m)|
|Manager||NEXT Model Management
Early life and education
Kendra Spears was born on August 5, 1988, in Seattle. She graduated from South Kitsap High School with an Associate's Degree acquired through a dual-credit high school and college program (Running Start). She then attended Portland State University to study Sociology, and obtained a BA in sociology from the University of Washington. In January 2008, Spears began her modeling career in New York City and went on to become a successful fashion model.
In January 2008, Spears participated in the Ford Models Supermodel of the World competition, after winning a modeling contest via MySpace. After the competition ended, she gained a contract with Ford Models of New York and debuted at New York Fashion Week in September 2008. After success in New York, Spears went on to walk for the most prestigious designers in Milan and Paris, including Gucci, Christian Lacroix, Lanvin, Hermès, and Valentino.
Shortly after the show season ended in October, Spears appeared on a succession of covers of the Danish fashion magazine Cover and the Italian magazine Amica. The covers were followed by a Dazed & Confused editorial featuring new faces of the season as well as editorials for V and Vogue Italia.
For the Fall 2009 season, Spears was photographed by Steven Meisel as one of the faces of Prada. Shortly afterwards, she moved back to Seattle to complete her degree at University of Washington. Although the move limited her ability to work, she still managed to shoot advertising campaigns including Stefanel shot by Mario Testino, Calvin Klein shot by Alasdair McLellan, The Limited shot by Patrick Demarchelier, Etro, and Diane von Fürstenberg.
Throughout Spears's career, she has been photographed for the cover of a number of Vogue magazines worldwide, including Vogue China, Vogue Nippon, Vogue Germany, and Vogue Mexico. She has also appeared on the covers of international editions of Elle, Allure, and Numero and in adverts for Calvin Klein, Diane von Fürstenberg, Peek & Cloppenburg, Etro, and The Limited.
On April 26, 2013, Aga Khan IV announced the engagement of his eldest son, Prince Rahim Aga Khan, to Kendra Spears. The couple married on 31 August 2013, at the Château de Bellerive, Geneva. This was formerly the home of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan and Princess Aliya. The bride has since been known as Princess Salwa.
On October 29, 2014, it was announced that the princess was expecting her first child with Prince Rahim. On April 14, 2015, His Highness The Aga Khan announced to the Ismaili community that on April 11, 2015, Princess Salwa had given birth to a healthy baby boy, her first child, Prince Irfan Aga Khan, in Geneva. The name Irfan in Arabic means gnosis, or knowledge of the divine. A second son has been born to the royal couple. The little Prince was born in London on January 2 and will be known as Prince Sinan.
Titles, styles and honours
- August 5, 1988 - August 31, 2013: Miss Kendra Spears
- August 31, 2013 – Present: Princess Salwa Aga Khan
- "Fashion model Directory Profile of Kendra Spears". Fashion Model Directory. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- "Profile of Kendra Spears at NYMAG.com". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- p. 1176 at akdn.org
- "Kendra Spears".
- "Kendra Sprears at Models.com". Models.com. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- "Search Results – "Kendra Spears"". Fashion Gone Rogue.
- "His Highness the Aga Khan Announces Engagement of His Eldest Son Prince Rahim to Ms Kendra Spears".
- "The wedding of Prince Rahim and Miss Kendra Salwa Spears". The Ismaili.
- "Multicultural Royal Wedding in Switzerland". Royal Hats blog.
- "Model-turned-princess Kendra Spears pregnant with first child". Hello! Magazine.
- "Kendra Spears welcomes baby boy with husband Prince Rahim". Hello Magazine. 16 April 2015.