Farm in the Kenhardt area.
|• Total||159.35 km2 (61.53 sq mi)|
|• Density||30/km2 (79/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||1.9%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Postal code (street)||8900|
On 27 December 1868, special magistrate Maximillian Jackson with a police contingent, was sent to act against the Griquas in the area. The Griqua's anti-colonial resistance had erupted into an open conflict. Jackson arrived in Kenhardt and set up camp under a giant camelthorn tree. This has been for a long time the most remote settlement in the North-Western Cape. With time the town developed from under this tree, becoming a municipality in 1909. The Hartbees River, with its many sweet thorn trees, provides a green belt irrigated by the Rooiberg Dam. Kenhardt is famous for being at the heart of the Dorper sheep-farming area.
This region contains very little vegetation, primarily very low shrubs and yellow grass among a rocky desert kind of landscape. If you travel south from Kenhardt towards Brandvlei, you will pass through a huge landscape of nothingness for the next 200 km and more. During the seasons many birds flock to the pans, when they contain water, after some rainfall. Temperature above 40 °C is not uncommon.
- Visit the Quiver Tree forest, Kokerboom Woud in Afrikaans, about 8 km south of Kenhardt on the main route to Cape Town. Some of these trees have special formed weaver birds nests. The forest comprises approximately 4,000 to 5,000 kokerbome.
- Walk the geological legendary granite metamorphic outcrops of the area. Along the trail all kind of quartz lie scattered.
- Tours to the pans on the outlying farms where you can view San artwork– also known as Bushman– and enjoy the farm hospitality.
- A hiking trail where Anglo Boer War remains and the beautiful landscape can be experienced.
- Make your own discoveries on fossilized foot impressions and engravings.
Places of interest
- Giant Camelthorn Tree
This tree is about 500–600 years old. It is under this tree which Magistrate Jackson set up his camp in 1868.
- Old Library Building
- List of cities and towns in the Northern Cape
- Northern Cape
- Kakamas, Northern Cape
- Upington, Northern Cape
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kenhardt.|