Kenilworth and Southam (UK Parliament constituency)
|Kenilworth and Southam|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Kenilworth and Southam in Warwickshire.
Location of Warwickshire within England.
|Electorate||63,772 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Jeremy Wright (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Rugby & Kenilworth|
|European Parliament constituency||West Midlands|
The District of Warwick wards of Abbey, Cubbington, Lapworth, Leek Wootton, Park Hill, Radford Semele, St John’s, and Stoneleigh, the District of Stratford-on-Avon wards of Burton Dassett, Fenny Compton, Harbury, Kineton, Long Itchington, Southam, Stockton and Napton, and Wellesbourne, and the Borough of Rugby wards of Dunchurch and Knightlow, Leam Valley, and Ryton-on-Dunsmore.
Following their review of parliamentary representation in Warwickshire, the Boundary Commission created this new constituency, pairing Kenilworth and Southam and breaking the parliamentary link between Rugby and Kenilworth established in 1983.
The new seat is overwhelmingly rural and intertwined with the countryside in nature, most properties having large plots and a substantial majority being semi-detached or detached. This is geographically one of the largest in the West Midlands and one of its safest Conservative seats.
The historic town of Kenilworth, with a population of around 27,000 is the only settlement of any significant size, while there are plenty of small villages, hamlets and farms and the ancient and prosperous little town of Southam.
Members of Parliament
|General Election 2015: Kenilworth and Southam|
|Liberal Democrat||Richard Dickson||4,913||10.1||-17.6|
|Monster Raving Loony||Nicholas Robert Blunderbuss Green||370||0.8||+0.8|
|Digital Democracy ||Jon Foster-Smith ||139||0.3||+0.3|
|General Election 2010: Kenilworth and Southam|
|Liberal Democrat||Nigel Rock||13,393||27.7||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2011 census interactive maps
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "K" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Rob Ballantyne - Green Party Parliamentary Candidate for Kenilworth and Southam". Green Party of England and Wales. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "UK > England > West Midlands > Kenilworth & Southam". Election 2010. BBC. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2010.